Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • topping up tubeless goo
  • madeupname
    Free Member

hopefully a basic question.

New to tubeless, running Schwalbe S ones on Crosslight rims.. When first set up last November, I could hear the Stans goo sloshing around in the tyres. Never knowingly punctured, or saw signs of goo escaping. Enjoyed the lack of worry over pinching tubes, tyres seem great.

After a winter of not much use, got bike back out, seems fine, tyres hold pressure, but there is no sound of Stans sloshing in tyres.

Do I need to periodically top up the goo?
    Do I need to periodically whip the tyres off and clear old latex crap from the inside?
    or
    Do I just crack on and curse when I puncture and there’s nowt left to seal it?

Thanks
    Madeupname

Yak

Yes
    No – but do remove the stanimal
    No

iainc

I asked this a few months ago and the consensus was pop in half a cup every 3 months or so

ransos
    Free Member

Yes, I had a puncture a while back that didn’t seal because the sealant had dried out. I keep it topped up now…

Lucas
    Free Member

I left mine for about a year or more without topping it up. Then got a puncture that would have sealed if I’d topped it up, I know this cos I fixed the puncture by topping up the sealant. So you do need to top them up more frequently that every year.

philjunior
    Free Member

I leave mine until they stop sealing punctures. I guess what I should do is take a small amount of sealant so I can top up if needed.

I did once end up with a non sealing tyre on a bothy trip, but just used a tube.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s a really quick and easy job, it’s just the remembering to do it that’s the problem 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s a really quick and easy job, it’s just the remembering to do it that’s the problem

I agree with this, but I would hate to have more sealant than necessary sloshing about, so for me it would be a bit more hassle than just chucking some in at the valve.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The new Stans race seems not to feature the stanimal thus far, and I think the actual shape of the ‘particles’ – ie wee tube shapes – look a lot better equipped to seal bigger holes…

simondbarnes

I agree with this, but I would hate to have more sealant than necessary sloshing about, so for me it would be a bit more hassle than just chucking some in at the valve.

You should look at MilKit valves then. You can pop the syringe onto the valve to check the sealant level / condition and top up easily as and when required. Not cheap bit work really nicely.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Give your wheels a shake. If you hear sloshing, then it’s fine. If not, top it up.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s a really quick and easy job, it’s just the remembering to do it that’s the problem

Sometimes…. My trail/enduro rims/tyre combination I can just deflate and break the bead… my XC rim/tyre combo I usually top up via taking off the valve core…and a bit of 4mm ID “bleed pipe” on a syringe (Its actually a bit tight but left over so I use it anyway)

iainc

I bought the Stans syringe and screw on tube that fits to valve with core out. Really easy to use, no mess, no faff. Also very good for initial setup on a tubleless tyre as no need to pop the bead off. Well worth the tenner or whatever it cost.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

What iainc said, a tubeless goo injector negates the need to unseat a tyre, simply remove the core and top up the sealant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Injector is a solution to a non existent problem.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Especially as it’s from Stans and yet they provide a funnel with their sealant which works fine when pouring in with the valve core removed or popping the bead.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I couldn’t hear any sloshing when I fitted the same tyres as the OP. I know that the sealant is still liquid as for some reason I added a bit more puff than usual last week. 80psi, and it weeped for a bit round a valve before settling. Still liquid after 7 months at least.

Rich
    Free Member

I’m not sure if it’s advisable, but to check if I have enough sealant to stop a puncture I pierce the tyre with a needle. If it won’t seal then I add some sealant through the valve hole, using a standard syringe.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve not got a funnel hence using the injector. Funnel cheaper/ easier I imagine…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The pic of the Stan’s injector was never going to go down well on this forum.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I got a pair of red and yellow (tomato sauce and mustard) plastic nozzle squirty bottles from my local cheap stuff store. With a bit of trimming of the nozzles, ideal for squirting goo down the hole where you removed the valve core. Upend the bottle stick it in the hole smartly and squeeze.

jekkyl

syringes and a short piece of tubing is pennies on ebay. Or an old bleed syringe, which is what I use.

simondbarnes

syringes and a short piece of tubing is pennies on ebay.

They may well be but this is so much nicer 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwQlUK-mi1Y[/video]

madeupname
    Free Member

Off to the garage to top up my tyres then!

I’ll top up via valve core as I have access to syringes at work, and can’t be areas trying to reseat the bead if I open the tyre up!

May switch to bigger tyres later in the year, then I’ll find out how much is left (and how big the latex lump is)

Thanks all

deadkenny
    Free Member

madeupname – Member 
    can’t be areas trying to reseat the bead if I open the tyre up!

Pop a tiny bit with tyre lever and use two levers hooked on spokes to hold that small bit open, pour in, levers off and track pump will pop that small edge dead easy.

Just have to be careful where you stick your hands so it doesn’t all pop off. Very occasionally with old non TR tyres and rims, deflating the tyre might unseat the whole lot, but rare. Whole thing is easier with removable valve cores though.

leffeboy

That milkit stuff is genius. expensive and not strictly necessary genius but genius all the same

PrinceJohn

That milkit is definitely genius. But… How does one let air out of the tyre?

hatter

The normal way, by unscrewing the end of the valve and pressing it.

Or, if you’re in a hurry, remove the valve core and stick the tube in without the syringe attached, just don’t do it with the valve at the bottom of the wheel or you’ll have a face like a plasterer’s radio.

Been running milkit for almost a year now.

simondbarnes

That milkit is definitely genius. But… How does one let air out of the tyre?

There is a little tube attached to the valve core that goes through the seal when you depress the end of the valve 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

A Reverb bleed syringe makes an excellent Stans injector, FWIW.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘topping up tubeless goo’ is closed to new replies.