• This topic has 78 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hock.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Top tip: Don't buy a dropper post, just revert to lycra shorts.
  • Spin
    Free Member

Just a thought.

PJM1974
    Free Member

????

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Already there. I got caught up on my old baggies a while back and had an OTB on a steep down. Mind you, I never moved my seat before, just move it even less now!

Spin
    Free Member

????

How much lower is your crotch wearing baggies than lycra?

weirdnumber
    Free Member

That crossed my mind during a a rocky descent when my shorts got caught on my saddle because I hadn’t lowered it.

Spin
    Free Member

Lets be honest.

Baggies = Fashion over function.

hugor
    Free Member

Baggies = Fashion over function

Agree but there’s a compromise in everything.
    I wear runner’s shorts over my lycra which don’t interfere with my saddle during descents.

float
    Free Member

i dont see why more people dont wear baggies over lycra. lycra just makes it so super comfy 8)

Northwind

What an odd post.

Spin
    Free Member

Which one?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The dropper post is odd?

tazzymtb

have you thought about becoming a eunuch, at least another 2 inches of clearance and no more unsightly budgie smuggling in lycra

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Well what do the baggies do though really? Just weigh a lot, and weigh even more when wet.. And then keep you cold when they’re heavy and wet with all the wet fabric slapping against your legs..
    And then in the summer, they keep you too hot, and still end up weighing loads as they’re soaked with sweat! ffs..

Nah, I’m all with the lycra thing.. I mean, when I’m out on the bike, I’m already wearing the clip-cloppy shoes and the silly hat, so why not go the whole hog?

hugor
    Free Member

only 2?? Harsh call

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Hang on, is this baggies vs lycra or dropper post vs normal seatpost?

robsoctane
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    Lets be honest.

Baggies = Fashion over function.

Very true but I for one like baggies. 🙄 I always wear Lycra UNDERNEATH though, I couldn’t do without it for comfort.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s whatever you want it to be.

hugor
    Free Member

I wear lycra during long events and races but only wear it underneath normal shorts in regular trail riding.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I just like telling people how much I enjoy wearing lycra. Nowt wrong with that is there?

tazzymtb

I just like telling people how much I enjoy wearing lycra

hmmmmmm

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Packing = lycra, lacking = baggies.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Packing = seat up, lacking = mincy dropper post

rudedog
    Free Member

Awesome! a baggies vs lycra argument – what a novel idea for a thread.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Packing = seat up, lacking = mincy dropper post

I rest my case 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Is this why downhillers aren’t allowed to wear lycra? Magical CoG lowering properties…

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Descending with your seat up is like climbing with your seat down.
    SPIN – cannot descend fast. They may think they can, but they cant. Thats it, they are admitting on the forum they are crap.

druidh
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Is this why downhillers aren’t allowed to wear lycra? Magical CoG lowering properties…

Downhillers aren’t allowed to wear lycra because it “isn’t in keeping with the image of the sport”. So – fashion over function.

hugor
    Free Member

I disagree with Hopk1ns. Its harder to descend well with a high saddle than a lowered one.
    Just cause they don’t need one doesn’t mean they’re pootling, they might be really good.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

“…It’s like goldy and bronzy, only it’s made of iron.”

Fashionably low saddles too.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

No No they may descend fast for someone with a high saddle but they wont be proper quick. Not a chance, you just cant. I may of course be wrong and so may be the proper quick dhrs.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

No No they may descend fast for someone with a high saddle but they wont be proper quick.

Bet they will be quicker than the majority that own dropper posts though.

rudedog
    Free Member

Duggie Style – Member

Bet they will be quicker than the majority that own dropper posts though.

who cares? I’ll keep riding they way I find comfortable, not what other people are doing.

Northwind

Here’s a pic I saw of one of those slow riders with their mincer’s seatposts… But I imagine he’s only got it because he’s not allowed lycra.

james
    Free Member

” dont see why more people dont wear baggies over lycra. lycra just makes it so super comfy”

I’ve always found no baggies just bibs, less comfy than baggies plus bibs?

Baggies also have pockets, offer an extra layer to crash onto and take the impact/ripping, water resistant ones can save your lycra from getting soaked, can be warmer when its cold/windy, let you go into a shop*, etc etc etc

*alright so you don’t need baggies to go into a shop/etc but

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Err yeah they. May be faster than those with droppers, but those with droppers would be slower again with high seatposts. It’s not a competition to see who’s the fastest it’s just fact that if you can learn to descend with out a seat between your legs you will descend quicker and improve your ability. If you ride with a high saddle then your descending will be compromised, drop it, re-learn and you’ll be quicker again. So the reason for a dropper is to maximise your descending for your given skill level.

kimbers

so the best thing to do is wear baggies and have a dropper post

that way you don’t look like a gimp and can handle steep / techy terrain

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Correct 😀

chiefgrooveguru

Bet they will be quicker than the majority that own dropper posts[/i] though.

Substitute the words in bold italics with:

29″ wheels, full suspension, front suspension, gears, 10 speed, disc brakes, carbon fibre frames, knee pads, neck braces, full face helmets, any technology that you don’t trust or can’t afford, anything that makes you feel not part of their clique, etc, for a one-size fits all, STW approved, blinkered (utter fail of an) argument.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

so the best thing to do is wear baggies and have a dropper post

that way you don’t look like a gimp and can handle steep / techy terrain

If you read MBUK, yes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Top tip: Don't buy a dropper post, just revert to lycra shorts.’ is closed to new replies.