• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Top Gear – Senna
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WTF are you talking about? Because I haven't a clue mate. I hardly ever watch Moto GP, as I find bikes pretty boring, and have probably watched most F1 GPs since the late 80s. I think you've got me confused with someone else.

Couldn't stand Senna, but he was brilliant. Especially in the wet. Dirty driver though; deliberately crashed at least twice to gain an advantage. At F1 speeds, that's incredibly dangerous. The sport has never really recovered from his death though, I don't think. F1 is more exciting than it has been for ages, but it lacks something, really. Needs a Senna or a James Hunt to come in and liven it up again.

JCL
    Free Member

When did Senna crash more than once to gain an advantage ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My mistake; Schumacher did it twice in F1, but that crash into Brundle in the TG piece was hardly an 'accident'. I thought Senna and Prost had 'crashed' more than once but I may be wrong. Senna pulled many, many moves that could potentially have resulted in accidents. Overtaking's one thing; deliberately putting your opponent at risk is another. Still, I suppose that's motor racing. He was certainly fearless.

EDIT: Senna and Prost crashed in Suzuka in '89, and in '90. In '89 he was disqualified from the race, which meant he missed out on the WC. The following year, he deliberately crashed into Prost in retaliation. At 170mph. Yet he won the WC.

hug
    Free Member

Best top gear I can remember, I've been a fan for years but the silly stunts have been getting beyond stupid

JCL
    Free Member

89 was either a race incident or Prost turned in on Senna when he was nearly parallel. 1990, Senna was on pole and Ballestre (who hated Senna) moved pole after qualifying to the dirty side of the track. Senna knew he wouldn't beat Prost to the first corner, as he definitely would have if pole had been left on the outside, so he said he would go for the corner at at his maximum speed regardless of where Prost was. The rest as they say, is history.

People say Senna was a dirty driver etc but there was a bigger picture behind the events in Suzuka. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Schumacher.

Oh and BTW I'm a Prost fan.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

jcl is bang on right. the suzuka thing was in retaliation against balastre, not prost

Admiralable
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I'll do this again because I'm proud of it.

You know how much this matters?

Imagine: You're in a pub/bar/club. You need a wee. You go to the bogs, do the biz, zip up. But then you get the 'dribbles'. You go back to the group you pretend to yourself your friends. At first, you are mortally paranoid someone will notice; Will there be staining, wet patches, a smell? After a while however, you've forgotten about it completely and it worries you no longer.

That's how much it matters.

POSTED 3 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

Ring any bells?

Pook

thekingisdead – Member
    jcl is bang on right. the suzuka thing was in retaliation against balastre, not pros

wasn't it that Balestre refused to move pole to the clean side, rather than that he had it moved to the dirty side?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, F1 needs to be made more dangerous again… 🙄

I think it's amazing Kubica walked away from this and only missed a handful of races.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3250358019013026485#

richmtb

I loved this episode. I remember watching Senna as a kid, TBH I was always a Prost / Mansell fan but the genius of Senna is undeniable.

As for current F1, I actually think the current crop of drivers is probably as good as its been for the last 20 years.

And given how the regualtions have changed and how predictable and reliable the cars have become the current racing (snide manipulation by the boys in red nothwithstanding) is still pretty entertaining

xc-steve
    Free Member

With relation to the Hollywood stars, notice that Jonathan Ross has now ended? Top Gear being BBC's only mainstream show which would support A list stars? Just a theory.

hora
    Free Member

Does anyone remember where they were when they heard the news?

I remember exactly the spot and the conversation when I heard Senna had died/confirmed 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

I was watching at home but shortly after had to go and drive to a race (other side of London).

Heard that he'd died when I got back in the car after the race. Bad news 🙁

hora
    Free Member

I was in a phonebox phoning the missus after I had caught the bus home from hers. I remember the night and conversation exactly 'that bloke/dont know his name has just died' – me Senna? No. No.

ollie
    Free Member

I remember where I was, Blackpool and it was my 18th birthday and because I was a huge Senna fanboy it really wasn't a great day to remember. 🙁

Drac

Yeah watching the race.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Senna’ is closed to new replies.