• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Top Gear – Senna
  • Kuco

Always considered Senna to be a dirty driver. But it did use make F1 racing a bit more interesting back then unlike the bore it is now.

rOcKeTdOg

+1 with the le man's docu, very scary!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Senna was a complicated character; that's part of the interest. He could be utterly brutal and chop someone up, but that clip where he jumped out of his car to comfort the crashed driver (Comas?) was incredibly touching.

If you haven't seen it, you must watch it tonight (Monday) it will be pulled and never shown again. The repeat later in the week is 45 minutes long as the Senna bit is cut out. Something to do with F1 rights on the footage.

Watch it!

Stu

On tonight at 7pm BBC2

highclimber
    Free Member

the Le Mans Docu was very interesting!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Great TV. The rate that the figures were increasing on the speedo in the Veyron was just awe inspiring. 4 sec to 100mph? Our car hits 60mph in about 11secs!! Thats awesome.
    And some of the drivers view of Senna's driving, sooo impressive.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Senna at Monaco was a frightening sight. He said at the time he just kept going faster and faster and he eventually realised he could keep going faster until he had an enormous firey crash and backed off. 1.5 sec a lap quicker than Prost in the same car? Astonishing. Precision versus flair.

Drac

Yeah the rate the numbers went up was just staggering and wide shots from the camera as it appeared and vanish in seconds. What a amazing piece of engineering.

thegreatape
    Free Member

In that whole piece about Senna, my favourite bit of driving was Piquet overtaking him sideways.

grahamt1980

The front shot from the veyron just made it feel like a video game

tyger
    Free Member

When trying to view Top Gear BBCi Player is stating "Not available in your area" ?

I mean I know Portsmouth isn't exactly London but what's going on??

molgrips
    Free Member

Just watched the first part of it – only caught the end of it on Sunday.

I am not usually one for fast cars, but that Veyron looks good. Not sure what it's really for though.

There must be something else cool we can do with cars that doesn't involve simply making them go fast?

beamers

Just watched it and agree with the comments about Clarkson and his ability to some really excellent documentary work.

The piece on Senna was right up there with his Victoria Cross documentary. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

david_r
    Free Member

Yeah, was a great episode. The Veyron was amazing. The straight on that track was 5.5 miles long? Cant remember what the top final speed was, but at 240 mph thats covering a mile every 15 seconds! so that straight would of taken aound 1.25 minutes … wow!

The bit on Senna was also very entertaining.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Senna bit was good, the rest was just the usual, only getting slowly more tedious.

coogan
    Free Member

The piece on Senna was right up there with his Victoria Cross documentary. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Was the one about the original Commandos pretending to be German to sneak up a heavily armoured waterway to blow up the submarine docks? If so, that was just one awe inspiring documentary.

beamers

No, it focused on Major Robert Cain and his VC winning escapades at the Battle of Arnhem.

Other VC winners were also covered.

grahamt1980

Robert Cain being his father in law, and none of them knew.
    The commandos one was good too.

mboy
    Free Member

Senna at Monaco was a frightening sight.

The in car footage of him driving round Monaco in his MP4/4, wrestling with the steering wheel with his left hand (as it constantly grabs and trys to throw the car off line over the cambers) whilst keeping his right on the gear lever, sliding the car round seemingly every corner, all the while balancing what can only be described as a time bomb of an engine to extract a qualifying lap of 1.5sec quicker than even the great Alain Prost!

He was a controversial figure that's for sure, and I remember really not liking Senna that much as a kid (combination of always being faster than Mansell and other British drivers and forcing Prost off at Suzuka), but when I witnessed first hand the race at Donnington in 93 in what can only be described as probably the least competitive F1 car McLaren ever produced, well…

Whatever you think of him, he was a genius!

Inbred456
    Free Member

There was only one repeat of that episode then that's it. It will not be shown again because of the price of showing old F1 footage. If you missed it the second time you've had it I'm afraid. Top gear producer Andy Wilman was on Evan's show on Monday morning and said the cost of showing the footage is prohibitive and it's heading to the BBC archives never to be seen again.

I think the other factory veyron test driver got the average up to 266mph!

zokes
    Free Member

For those of you who have missed the repeats, or are 'outside' of iPlayer's area….

[cough]torrents[/cough]

nickc

Thing is though, late on in the race, Prost gained a huge amount of time over Senna after overtaking Berger in the Ferrari, and Senna crashed after panicking and losing concentration. So all that work down the drain…

1988 was the year that McLaren won all but one race. Senna won the drivers because he had more wins (in those days only best 11 races counted), although Prost had more points…

wee-al
    Free Member

The Senna piece was brilliant. I was equally pleased however, with a stunning return to form in the direction/camerawork. Some of the Touraeg shots and of Hamilton on the track were beautiful!

As someone mentioned earlier, i too wondered about the fact that two massive Holywood stars could come in and set two new fastest laps?!?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

As someone mentioned earlier, i too wondered about the fact that two massive Holywood stars could come in and set two new fastest laps?!?

Dont forget its:

a) a new reasonably priced car, with very few drivers on the board
    b) Cruise (and probably Diaz) will have driven a fair few fast cars during there careers, probably with professional tuition too.

Cruise rides bikes and planes, so I dont think taking a mechanical object to its limit lark is new to him!

I wasn't that surprised.

ianpinder
    Free Member

In all fairness, like has been mentioned above, they have both probably had a great deal of training in fast driving, tom especially so. Also they just looked like they were going fast, we've all seen other celebs turn the car early into the final corner and do a small jump buy never end up on two wheels for a good 20m . Also what does anyone gain from them being at the top

JCL
    Free Member

The Veyron piece was predictable and the car is barge. Throw 8 liters and four turbos at it and it ends up just 28 mph faster than a normally aspirated Mclaren F1 launched over 10 years ago. Senna's MP4/4 had nearly 700hp from 1.5 liters in 1988. Now that is impressive.

I really have my doubts it'd beat a Gumpert or R500 around that particular track too. I'm sure keeping Mr Volkswagon happy had something to do with the time.

hora
    Free Member

Said this on a different thread, Hamilton as always shows his utter passion for racing. Away from the Corporate-speak when he lets his hair down he just shows that hes in racing for the kicks/fun and not the job. Even on relatively bad performances have you ever heard him bitching?!!!!

I bet even if he was driving a taxi round Stevenage for a living he'd manage to get kicks out of it!

nickc

Throw 8 liters and four turbos at it and it ends up just 28 mph faster than a normally aspirated Mclaren F1 launched over 10 years ago

Which tells you how difficult the drag is to overcome…

hora
    Free Member

….and its a horrible bulbous two-tone coloured car. Having seen one in the flesh I'm curious as to why it costs soo much?

They could have made a more evocative bugatti.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

. Even on relatively bad performances have you ever heard him bitching?!!!!

Yup – many times

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, we all know you don't like Hamilton, TJ – racist 😉 (kidding, seriously!)

He does moan sometimes but frankly who wouldn't – I'd say he's actually less of a moaner than most.

Anyway, back on topic, I recorded it – fast forwarded through the Toerag stuff, watched the TC/CD stuff and thought that while the do genuinely seem to like fast cars/etc that they were playing very hard at the 'we're good mates' thing which was pretty excruciating though I don't have any issue believing their lap times.

The Senna bit was good though a bit blinkered – he wasn't perfect and he wasn't always the best driver though he was consistently excellent and sometimes just stunning. I loved the footage of Mansell trying to get past him at Monaco in 92 though – brought the memories back and I know that getting past was near impossible for Mansell but it was still brilliant TV.

hora
    Free Member

What saying 'we have to go away and do some work on the car'

'the upgrades didnt work so we had to revert back'?

Comes across as descriptive rather than moan.

Even when he didnt reach the podium- as recently he says 'it felt like the drive of my life'.

Remember a year back he qualified well down the field in the rain (c.14th?)- fought through but dropped back again and at the end described his race and enjoyable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubber – He moans precisely because he is so passionate about things – I just wanted to correct Hora who said he doesn't bitch – when he clearly does.

Hoar – no – moaning when things go wrong – he does it many times – I don't think its wrong or bad that he does it.

tron
    Free Member

Gordon Murray has ripped chunks out of the Veyron a few times. He reckons they dropped a massive clanger when they said "We're going to built a car that does 400kph and it'll look like this".

There's a reason why almost all really fast road cars share their shape with things like the McLaren F1 & LeMans prototypes. It's the best shape for the job.

I reckon it's pretty easy to see how the Veyron costs 5 million to make. Almost every other supercar manufacturer has either a fairly standard configuration of engine, or buys one in and hots it up. The Veyron has an engine which is unique to the car – not just different heads, but a different block. The thing's not aerodynamically brilliant, so it needs lots of radiators. And there's an astonishing amount of technology involved in keeping it on the ground. But ultimately, the big problem with making a Veyron is that it's scratch built. Almost everything had to be developed for that car, so all the set up costs are pushed into the price.

That said, get something like a McLaren F1 or an Ultima, and you'd get it going as fast with considerably less horses.

hora
    Free Member

Its clearly a car for the wealthy rather than a real rich petrolhead.

Pook

Also what does anyone gain from them (CD/TC) being at the top

Top Gear getting more Hollywood A-listers to come on a pokey British motor show.

Agent: "Why the goddamn hell would Sylvester/Russell/Harrison wanna come on your hokey Brit show man?"

TG booker: "Well, dear boy, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz set the fastest laps earlier this year when they came to promote their new film to our 6 million strong viewing audience…."

Agent: "When do ya wan' em?"

edit: this is TG Booker by the way….

bigrich

its clearly a car saying 'look what we can do! up your mum!'

as an advertisement for VW engineering skills it does its job amazingly.

jools182
    Free Member

loved last sundays episode

one of the best ever

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Hold on people – nobody has yet pointed out that MotoGP in Sennas period was soooo much better than F1. The world is going to end……..

Admiralable
    Free Member

Elfinsafety will be along soon to talk about how he pi$$ed himself in the pub and how exciting Moto GP is compared to F1 as he seems to think that most F1 drivers don't watch any other form of motorsport at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Senna’ is closed to new replies.