Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Top gear
  • heathy
    Free Member

Just noticed its back on and watching last weeks on bbc 3.
    How long has this new series been on as i don't seem to remember any ad's?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

week 3 on sunday coming.

heathy
    Free Member

Cheers for that, just need to watch the 1st one now then.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It's good. Init.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Bugger!! Episode 4 this sunday coming, I havent watched ep 2 – its still waiting for me… how time flies…

CountZero

I want that Maserati, just to drive through tunnels with the windows open.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yawn – umpteenth year of exactly the same format. Boring (yet I still watch it like a moth to the flame)

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Highly entertaining popcorn for the mind…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

gona be a classic tonight, they have to each make their own motorhome!

bagpuss
    Free Member

Watched them filming tonights challenge at Polzeath, should be entertaining.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not laughed so much in a long time – great episode.

psychle
    Free Member

how did Jeremy's creation not tip over on the motorway and kill someone??

boingboing
    Free Member

Predictable, but still hilarious at times.

GrahamS

Brilliant stuff tonight. On par with the classic amphibious cars.

(yes yes all very fake and scripted, but still funny)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why did it not tip over? Simple, low centre of gravity and soft Citroën suspension that makes it look worse than is.

Drac

Perfectly scripted and hilarious.

bassspine
    Free Member

do you think they picked up the bits of jeremy's bird house off the cliffs?

CountZero

Well, there was a pile of bits that looked suspiciously like it in the studio, and I can't imagine they'd be allowed to leave it making the place look untidy. Did like the R8, I'd like the opportunity to find out if it really is slightly more flexy than the tintop.

JCL
    Free Member

The presenters are sad old snobbish **** who know nothing about cars and the humor level is about the same as The Last of the Summer Wine. Can't believe it's still running but I guess it says a lot about the British public.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

The presenters are sad old snobbish **** who know nothing about cars and the humor level is about the same as The Last of the Summer Wine. Can't believe it's still running but I guess it says a lot about the British public.

What, that there is a section of the british population that enjoy a programme with fast cars, silly behaviour and stunts no more scripted than any other programme on telly.

Some folks like it, some folks don't, some folks like spunking 3 grand on a new flaming bike every year because it's a different colour from last years model…….change the **** ing record, it's getting boring

Hadge
    Free Member

Don't people know how to change channels on their tv's? If you don't like it, don't watch it – no one forces you too lol. It's an entertainment programme at the end of the day, is hugely popular and makes money for the BBC. Why do people moan about it, slag the presenters off but STILL watch it? The mind boggles honestly.

JCL
    Free Member

Because people are interested in cars. Remember? kinda what the program used to be about.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Fifth Gear and VBH all the way

rs
    Free Member

epic show 😆 lots

wrightyson
    Free Member

Take it the initials JCL don't stand for jeremy clarksons lover then??

muggomagic

i think lovechild would be better use of the L. It may explain the dislike of him. All those birthdays and Christmas' waiting for the postman to bring a present or even just a card would have done, but every time he just walked straight past his front door.

I thought the last series was pony, but the 1st few episodes of this have been pretty entertaining.

hora
    Free Member

I've given up on TG. Surely there are interesting and unusual cars under 100k that they could focus on.

Fifth Gear seems to love fast but fun on a budget.

Sick of seeing groundhog day on TG. They've run out of format ideas.

bol

I'm entertained by the "presenters who know nothing about cars" bit JCL. It must take quite some effort to spend 25 years as a motoring journalist and still know nothing. IIRC James May is pretty handy with a spanner too, in case you meant "don't know how cars work".

TheFlyingOx

Fifth Gear and VBH all the way

I'd agree with you if the bottom half of her face wasn't 40 years older than the top half.

Drac

Because people are interested in cars. Remember? kinda what the program used to be about.

Yup and it was taking off the air as hardly anyone watched it in that format, now it's one of the most successful and top earning shows in BBC history.

anagallis_arvensis

It struck me last night as I half watched top gear but it really reminds me of the ITV4 tour coverage in how formulaic it is. It is also in my humble opinion very unfunny but I like watching the stigg thrash cars.

now it's one of the most successful and top earning shows in BBC history.

I'm a big brother celbrity dancing on ice get me out of here is popular too and its shit

hora
    Free Member

TG seems to be 'what car for the midlife crisis over 50 millionaires.

Does TG have some sort of deal with Ford (previously) then Merc? and now the VAG group?

Where I'm coming from is when Jeremy was looking at buying a certain limited run he had Ford products on his show……he then bought into supercharged Merc's and hey presto we see alot of Merc products featured….

Porsche featured heavily- I think thats because the two other presenters also bought one each?

Now……Audi products.

Basically it seems like the shows car content is influenced by what the presenters fancy for their next car or what (probable) discounts they'll get if they feature said vehicles. After all TG is also a business in its own right so it wouldnt be wrong to assume this.

BigJohn

As well as being excellent comedy they seem to have upped the standard of milf in the front row this series.

warton
    Free Member

I was thinking about TG the other day. I've just got a courtesy car while mines being fixed. its a brand new Corsa 1.2 and it is a dog. terrible driving position, gutless engine (I had a 1.2 Punto a couple of years ago which went much better)

So as I was slagging this car off in my head I though thats why TG only review daft expensive cars. if they were to review cars such as the Corsa JC would tear them to shreds, the viewer who had that car would be offended, the manufacturers would be too, viewing figures would drop and they wouldn't get any cars to test.

And anyway how boring would it be? Last night was very funny, its becoming almost like a sitcom though, every line and shot is scripted…

Drac

Same here Warton I had a Corsa 1.2 a couple of years ago as a courtesy car while my car was having a door panel sprayed. Horrible cheap interior, gutless rough engine, gear box felt like moving a stick through a gravel river bed I know it was meant to be a cheap budget car but it was just awful.

epicyclo

I love Top Gear and I don't particularly like cars.

It is not meant to be serious.

Although I was impressed by Clarkson's 3 storey campervan. Now there's a vehicle for taking to 24hr races 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Top Gear don't review Corsa 1.2s because Fifth Gear do that. I think people forget that it isn't a car reviewing programme any more – it is a comedy based loosely around cars and car-based japes.

And as has been said already, it was dying on its arse and was taken off the air when they were a car reviewing programme.

My wife doesn't care less about cars but last night half of my laughing was at her laughing with tears streaming down her face.

Of course it is scripted. Just like 99.9%* of television programming such as Have I Got News For You and Question of Sport.l I heard a rumour once that Eastenders is scripted too, but I have yet to be convinced of this.

*random statistic

Drac

My wife doesn't care less about cars but last night half of my laughing was at her laughing with tears streaming down her face.

Snap! My Wife was creased up last night at it, sadly she doesn't seem to realise how much if it's scripted but there was a lot of unscripted puns and digs from James last night that were top.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The shot of James sat atop his motorhome taking a dump was priceless, then the cut to Hammond doing the same in his passenger seat was perfection.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Interesting watching that as they stayed near to where I grew up.

1) EVERYTHING they filmed (the "pub", the campsite, the shop, the surf school, etc) was owned by a guy called Rob Harris – must have set it all up. And the "pub" is actually a cafe/restaurant.
    2) They went over a bridge (in Wadebridge) that isn't even slightly the right direction to where they went next – it was clearly just for effect.
    3) That crane they used to lift JC's car was from a hire firm a very long way away – must have cost a fortune to get it there!
    4) There was hardly a breath of wind when they were surfing yet at night there was apparently a "gale" – looking at the brief external shots, I'd say there was nowhere near a gale…

But still enjoyed it as usual!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Top gear’ is closed to new replies.