Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Tony Blair snubbed…is this why?
  • CHB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6533789.stm

Would be enough for me to hold a grudge against the odious git who sent our forces to this mess.
    Reckon Brown has no wedding invite as it was the only way to make it look non personal.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’d say it has more to do with bliar defecting from c of e to catholocism the moment he stepped down from power.

CHB

Ah, that’s credible also. Telegraph thinks it’s because of the way Blair used Dianas death to his political advantage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

Who is this bliar you speak of , a little hasbeen man, who wrote a book and nobody bought,

jon1973
    Free Member

who wrote a book and nobody bought

He’s still laughing all the way to the bank unfortunately with that £4.6m advance he got for it.

sc-xc

Didn’t he give his advance and profits to the British Legion or Help for Heroes?

Markie
    Free Member

Can’t it just be because there’s no reason to invite ex prime ministers from a protocol point of view and so they didn’t bother?

Markie
    Free Member

Oops. It wasn’t until after I’d gone back and hit send post again that I realised this may be the double post ‘bug’ I’ve read about!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe he’s too busy being our Middle East Peace Envoy….

CHB

markie….I thought that might be the case, but when you look at some of the representatives from tinpot dictatorships that ARE attending, not to invite two prominent recent prime ministers can’t be accidental in my view.

Markie
    Free Member

CHB – I haven’t seen the list but would guess they’re tinpot dictators from countries the UK has diplomatic relations with (‘I did not have diplomatic relations with that…) and so are only there for the sake of protocol. Begs the question of what’s protocol worth, though!

And no, I wouldn’t see it at accidental either – but nor would I see it as malicious. Figuring the bride and groom chose their guests (friends and family) and then said to a courtier “and anyone else who has to come along…”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh offical excuse is

“Sir John Major and Baroness Thatcher were invited as they are both Knights of the Garter, along with Prince William,” a spokesman said.

“Furthermore, Sir John Major has a personal connection to Prince William, as he was appointed guardian to Prince William and Prince Harry following the death of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

“This is a private wedding and not a state occasion, unlike [the Queen’s wedding] in 1947 or 1981, so there is no protocol reason to invite former prime ministers.”

mt
    Free Member

Blair is a war criminal and one day I hope to see him tried at the Hague(sp?) for what he and Bush have done.

bullheart
    Free Member

Agreed. I imagine if it’s because he’s a war criminal?

EDIT: Hot damn! Too slow!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cameron will be joining him for Libya – bombing civilians

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Didn’t Blair as PM say he wouldn’t be updating the Queen every Thursday (?) as per tradition if he didn’t want to? I don’t think he holds Royalty in very high regard (I’m quite sure that’s mutual), so they saved him the embarrassment of having to turn down the invite (what with him being a man of such high principles).

He’s also a war criminal, and he supported Shrub (little Bush) and the outlaw US (outlaw after the US refused to recognise the UN World Court including its earlier conviction for illegal use of force in Nicaragua).

Markie
    Free Member

Cameron deliberately bombed civilians in Libya?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The UK force are acting in obvious breach of UN resolution and they killed a load of civilians the other day. Tthey are acting under Camerons instruction – “the buck stops here”

If you believe Blair is a war criminal for Iraq ( as I do) then judged by the same standards Cameron is certainly heading that way if not there already

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks for explaining your view, appreciated.

stevie750

If we are talking war criminals, how about Thatcher for the belgrano.

kimbers

considering invites have gone out to zimbabwe and bahrain i think blair would be in good company

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

You invite someone with an invitation. You do not send, or receive an invite.

FFS!

This has been bugging me for days, as everyone and his dog on the news keep saying things like “invites were sent”.

Markie
    Free Member

That’ll learn him!

DenDennis
    Free Member

CHB

capitain….wait till the Olympics when you have to tolerate all the joggers and jumpists and stuff “medalling”…. and not in the catholic priest sense. Reckon you might bludgeon someone to death with your leather bound copy of the OED.

oldnpastit

@TJ

The UK force are acting in obvious breach of UN resolution

From resolution 1973:

the Council authorized Member States, acting nationally or through regional organizations or arrangements, to take all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack in the country, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory

So, what are we doing in breach of the resolution? We’re taking all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack, short of sending in ground troops.

Baffled.

kimbers

just chillax there tj we dont all speak the queens english 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CHB, I am going to my quiet place to escape your horrors….

iDave
    Free Member

I would think Blair was primarily snubbed for being a **** and Brown for being a boring ****

Anything else is just embellishment

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m glad that grinning buffoon isn’t going to be there, otherwise my television might not survive having something thrown at it.

I do hope he gets ebola soon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oldnpastit. The actions of the UK forces are far beyond that and are not impartial. the rebels have killed civilians by indiscriminate fire – have we bombed the rebel side?

We have bombed Gadaffis compound in tripoli – hardly protecting civilians. We are complicit in the arming of the rebels.

It is very clear that the UK forces are not acting to protect civilians but to support the rebel side. We have caused directly and indirectly significant numbers of civilian deaths.

If we wanted to stop civilian deaths we would be telling both sides that any aggressive move gets them bombed – but no – we are supporting the rebel side to attack their legitimate government.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If we are talking war criminals, how about Thatcher for the belgrano.

Feel free to explain how an Argentinean warship wasn’t a legitimate target when we were at war with Argentina?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feel free to explain how an Argentinean warship wasn’t a legitimate target when we were at war with Argentina?

Oh dear Lord above, you had to ask, didn’t you? They’ll be frothing away for days now.

kimbers

well apart from the signs of mission creep ie sending in ‘advisors’ arming the rebels (directly or via arab intermediaries we sell the weapons to)
    theres the obvious fact that dropping bombs on any country will lead to civillian casualties, dont let the myth of surgical strikes fool you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – I typed an answer but thought better of it.

stevie750

It was outside the exclusion zone and heading away from the falklands

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oh dear Lord above, you had to ask, didn’t you? They’ll be frothing away for days now.

They? There’s more than one?

I’m genuinely interested on how (t)he(y) could come up with something as truly, unbelievably barking mad as that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    CFH – I typed an answer but thought better of it.

Where is TandemJeremy and what have you done with him?

😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

the rebels have killed civilians by indiscriminate fire – have we bombed the rebel side?

To do so would be an act of retaliation, and illegal under the UN mandate – the mandate only allows action to protect civilians under threat of attack not to punish the rebels for an attack thats already taken place – the NATO force can only legally take action against the rebels if they believe they are threatening to attack civilians in the future! By your own admission, any deaths to civilians caused by the rebels have been caused by indiscriminate fire, not deliberate targetting of civilians.

You’ve tied yourself up in knots on here with your selective and deliberate misinterpretation of UN rules before TJ, throwing round allegations of war crimes and then being unable to support them with actual laws – take a step back and reflect before making even more of an arse of yourself!

mt
    Free Member

black is white tj makes convincing argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Tony Blair snubbed…is this why?’ is closed to new replies.