• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tonight's ride – Apache Helicopters and Wiggins
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Out on a road ride from Otley tonight and 2 Apache helicopters fly over, north to south over the Chevin, however before they go over Leeds Bradford Airport they do a fantastic sharp turn back north back over Otley, before turning south again and heading back over the airport flight path.

I bet they ‘forgot’ to get clearance 😆

Everyone was leaning out of car windows to see, fantastic noise and sight.

Then later in my ride coming through Burley, having just ridden up the Cow & Calf I see a team Wiggins car parked at the side of the road. Ok Wiggo was not to be seen, but I assume he/the team were out reccying t’Tour de Yorkshire.

matt_outandabout

Maybe wiggo has a chopper?

cp

They came over ladybower in the peaks too. Really rather low, looked k like they were having fun.

A couple of jets apprently 10 mins before aswell.

Moses

Threee Chinooks with underslung Landies (I think) were messing around south of Swindon this afternoon, while I was on my longest XC ride for about 10 years, Streatley to Chippenham.

StuE
    Free Member

C-17 Globemaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_transport_aircraft#/media/File:C-17_test_sortie.jpg) was making repeated passes over Leeds Bradford Airport as well this afternoon

Daffy

There’s been a phenomenal amount of helicopter activity in Wiltshire recently.

Last Saturday we had 7 Chinooks (3 in formation then 4 in-line) and 2 Apaches, Monday was SuperPuma day (3 in formation) and Today seemed to be the turn of the Lynx (either 4 different ones or one very tired and dizzy pilot).

Sui
    Free Member

its probably a 16Brigade training event. They like to get all arms working on scenarios everynow and then -tis very good fun..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Apache over Rutland further down south as well today, heading towards the Arty lot over at North Luff. Assuming they were practicing shooting helis down/sneaking up on SAM sites.

bainbrge

I think it’s Joint Warrior 2015 exercises.

Sancho
    Free Member

I saw a couple of Typhoons over Skipton tonight too, also we had some of the Wiggins team in the shop for some repairs and banter.

Nice cars

renton
    Free Member

Joint warrior is on as we speak. Flying the arse off the typhoons.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Well Ratboy was outside my house, stood in the door of a Harris & Ross van as I rocked up (walked) out of my front door, he stood there slack-jawed in awe of a true MTB god of the Gnar, I just nodded it was a quiet sort of respect thing you know.

cp

sneaking up on SAM sites

they don’t exactly sneak!

Deveron53
    Free Member

they don’t exactly sneak!

yes they do! The radar is in the pod above the rotor. The apache sits behind cover with just the pod visible while the crew select targets. The chopper pops up, fires and then drops back down again. Very sneaky!

DanW
    Free Member

longest XC ride for about 10 years, Streatley to Chippenham

A bit off topic, but I’d love to know the route you took if you don’t mind sharing Moses?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tonight's ride – Apache Helicopters and Wiggins’ is closed to new replies.