Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tonight's Moral Maze should be a good one
  • geoffj

Something to think about next time you bust your collar bone….or leave Greggs.

Is it fair for those who look after their health to see their taxes being squandered on treatment for those whose poor health could be described as “self-inflicted”. But exactly what is the definition of ‘self-inflicted illnesses? Obesity? Alcoholism? And what of injuries sustained while playing sports?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p0s0v

somafunk

I’d like to ban Melanie Phillips, she’s detrimental to my health as whenever i hear her sanctimonious warblings i want to self harm.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ah, yes, that idiot tory doctor MP saying that people with Type 2 diabetes should pay for their own treatment. Not all diabetes is lfestyle related, so now as well as the ‘deserving’ and ‘undeserving’ poor we have the deserving and undeserving ill…

loum
    Free Member

Conservative MP against the principles of the NHS. Shock.
    Next.

mefty
    Free Member

He actually said they should pay for their own prescriptions not their care. Diabetics get free prescriptions. It is more a question of why should people with other illnesses pay when those with a potentially self inflicted one benefit from an exemption.

Junkyard
    Free Member

YOU can sort of see the argument but surely it would make more sense to incentivise healthy lifestyle choices than punish bad ones

Free sports classes, healthy workshops, cookery clases etc would have more impact than trying to punish folk once they are ill.

There is alos a problem with self inflicted – its not like people tried to get ill be ot from poor diet or from MTB. Its also not the case that everyone with an equally poor diet will get equally ill so its not exactlya level playing field

I am not totally opposed to charges with using a GP [ friend is a GP ansd moaning sods take up so much time so limiting their appointments per year would help most GPS] but it all depends

Punishing the ill for being ill seems a tad daft

The Dr’s argument is more subtle that what has been described here and he seemes well meaning in his quest even if I disagree with him I think his aim is laudible.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I love Melanie Phillips. I think she’s lovely. Just lovely.

Lovely lovely lovely.

Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely

mefty
    Free Member

The Dr’s argument is more subtle that what has been described here and he seemes well meaning in his quest even if I disagree with him I think his aim is laudible.

To be fair to previous posters, it is how it was widely reported – reducing an argument to a headline often does this, unfortunately few bother to read more deeply before wading in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tonight's Moral Maze should be a good one’ is closed to new replies.