Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Toiletries in hand luggage.
  • andy8442
    Free Member

I’m flying quite a bit next month and for some internal flights we are only allowed carry on luggage. My main concerns are toiletries, in particular Shaving Foam. I can’t take the usual canister? and I’ve found some Gillette stuff that you squeeze out but they are too big. We have to “survive” 4-5 days and not look too wild, so was wondering how others travel with carry on for a few days.

jam-bo

buy the mini versions in boots the other side of security.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Most high street chains sell travel versions of toiletries, certainly seen them in Boots & Superdrug.

andy8442
    Free Member

We’re on chartered flights and may not even see a normal terminal. But thanks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

King of Shaves Oil is in my travel bag when I’m away. Good shower, wash face, then hit the sink for a shave.

Comes in a tiny bottle, so no probs re security.

midlifecrashes

Shirley the STW answer must be a block of solid shaving soap applied with a badger brush.

To cut down on luggage though you must then shave this off by standing on the roof of your hotel bivvy while an English Electric Lightning* makes repeated low passes, scraping off your stubble with it’s wingtips.

*Lockheed Starfighter at weekends.

footflaps

I just use soap for shaving when travelling…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To cut down on luggage though you must then shave this off by standing on the roof of your hotel bivvy while an English Electric Lightning* makes repeated low passes, scraping off your stubble with it’s wingtips.

*Lockheed Starfighter at weekends.

klumpy
    Free Member

You’ve got some time, just grow a beard.

brassneck

I just use soap for shaving when travelling…

Conditioner is the recommended substitute. Assuming you brought any of that.

All the small toiletries are available in every Boots and Superdrug now. I bought a Nivea pack some years back as it came in a security check compatible see through bag that was tough enough to survive many world trips (was around Europe 2-3 times a month and further afield on occasion).

rossatease
    Free Member

I use electric when travelling, even then I get my aftershave nicked on occasion, I’m sure there’s a scam on toiletries operating out of city airport.

So as long as you have them all in a plastic bag outside of your bag and there is no more than 100ml of liquid you’re O.K.

midlifecrashes

By swapping my spray deodorant for the stick version, and using Eucryl tooth powder instead of paste, I don’t have to do the faffing with clear bags any more to bring my toilet bag in hand luggage. Disposable triple cartridge razors work for me. I no longer have any need for shampoo. 😥

nealglover
    Free Member

Conditioner is the recommended substitute. Assuming you brought any of that.

Do many men use conditioner ?

Genuine question, I’ve never used it in my life, and sort of presumed nobody else did either.

Op, I would use a block and brush personally, but I’ve not been clean shaven in 15 years either, so maybe not best qualified to comment.

jam-bo

We’re on chartered flights and may not even see a normal terminal. But thanks.

In that case can you not take whatever you like…

Keva
    Free Member

take the 100ml bottles and zip them up in a plastic bag, have it ready to drop in the security tray at the airport. Or just buy the stuff from a local chemist when you arrive. most half decent hotels have toiletries in the bathroom anyway.

atlaz
    Free Member

I use electric when travelling, even then I get my aftershave nicked on occasion, I’m sure there’s a scam on toiletries operating out of city airport.

The only scam I’ve ever seen there is people not understanding the rules. If you think the rules are being made up, speak to the supervisor but 99% of the time I’ve seen it, it’s the person having their stuff taken from them who seems to be mistaken.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wet shaving and after shave on a business trip? Who are you lot trying to impress? I use my electric shaver, anti-persperant stick and the hotel std issue toothpaste and plenty of chewing gum. No fannying around at airport security getting out your clear plastic bags. If you travel alot it almost becomes a game as to how quickly you can transit through the airport and get to the hotel bar.

The real challenge is how to pack a weeks worth of stuff into your laptop bag. It is possible – i’ve got it down to a fine art. And no cheating – you have to have a fresh pair of undies every day and enough gym kit for two gym sessions.

globalti
    Free Member

The way to do it is to pack the undies and socks flat in a ziplock bag then compress all the air out of it by sitting on it on the bed and closing the closure. Lo and behold, one flat and stiff as a board vacuum packed underwear survival kit.

(From another frequent traveller)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Remember you are only allowed one of their plastic bags. I thought I’d take my own kitchen sized foodbag (ziplock to avoid spillage) and got a telling off !

I have a travel sized Gillette cream (so not pressurised canister). Note you can buy what you want at the airport after security you just can’t bring it back.

@globaliti’s tip is a good one. I use this technique quite a bit, very useful if you are going into a humid or wet (eg on boats) environment and you want to keep stuff fresh and dry.

brassneck

If you travel alot it almost becomes a game as to how quickly you can transit through the airport and get to the hotel bar.

They don’t check you on the way out! The only magic way around the queue in was at Southampton, when Monarch (I think?) used to fly real aeroplanes with propellors and everything.. you could use the entirely empty executive channel on their tickets for some reason I never figured out. That or get enough BA points, but that seems to be tricky if you fly mainly in Europe unless you do a lot of day trips.. only managed Silver for one year and that included Mumbai business class on top of the usual euro hops.

Who are you lot trying to impress?

Minimum standard for work in Milan 😀 even then I felt like a tramp in comparison.

TiRed

Remember you are only allowed one of their plastic bags

Not so. I have a clear toiletries bag that I fill with the allowed items. Never had a problem

jambalaya
    Free Member

@TiRed, officially you have to have a bag the same size as the small ones they give you. I have been stopped once and that’s how I know this, otherwise they claim you could have a large bag with a big total quantity of fluids and thus make a bomb. You are quite right that in practice they don’t generally make a fuss.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I use MENU concentrated shaving foam, comes in a non pressurised 100ml bottle and can do over 160 shaves from one bottle. Available from boots although you have to look quite hard for it. Light blue bottle.

Cougar

They don’t check you on the way out!

They did when I flew to Europe earlier this year.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Trumpers lime soap or mini Gillette can

Decant all stuff into mini clear bottles and have dedicated travel bag. But I am v light on toiletries anyway.

All a load of bllx isn’t it.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

A colleague of mine turned up at the airport with literally nothing more than toothbrush, knickers and “where’s the bar?!”

andy8442
    Free Member

Thank you all. I have found some tiny shaving foam cans. Decanting my various other lotions and potions will be a pain but do-able.

brassneck

They did when I flew to Europe earlier this year.

On the way out of the destination airport??? Use the ‘green’ lane 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

Wingman travel gel can be picked up from Tesco or WHSmith at airport

BigJohn

I used to use King of Shaves when travelling but now I use Aveda Shave Cream which is better than any aerosol gel I’ve tried and you can get a teeny 40ml tube.

Aveda also do a product called Hand Relief, which makes Mrs BigJohn giggle every time she uses it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Am i the only one that always forgets his toiletry bag and just buys his stuff at destination ?

(Frequent flyer too just forget to chuck it in after i brush my teeth)

Seems to work as a strategy for airports too.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Toiletries in hand luggage.’ is closed to new replies.