Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Budget thread
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Gideon on his feet currently.

VAT relief on fuel for air ambulances + new air ambulance for London (cue grumbles from Northerners)

allthepies
    Free Member

penny off a pint, cheers George!

Drac

Oooh less income tax.

footflaps

ISA limit up to £15k!

wwaswas

Rejoice!

You can now save more in your ISA (£15k) than you can earn on the London living wage (£13.7k)

willard

Bingo tax halved???!! WE ARE SAVED!!!!

Drac

Among them, Mr Osborne says he will be “waiving inheritance tax for those in our emergency services who give their lives protecting us”.

You’re dead here’s your thank you.

wwaswas

Budget for old people and 66% of people aged 65+ vote.

Only 44% of 18-24 year olds vote.

Politician in making decisions based on pleasing those likely to vote for their party shocker.

footflaps

Budget for old people and 66% of people aged 65+ vote.

What we need are more young people playing Bingo……

chewkw
    Free Member

Time to vote Tory again. 😆

binners

A penny off a pint, you say? Looks like we’re all off to the pub for the afternoon then.

And then vote Tory, obviously

Cheers Gideon!

footflaps

Time to vote Tory again.

There’s no need, they’ve given you the Bingo tax break, so now you can vote Labour and satisfy your conscience and your wallet 😉

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I never understand the penny off a pint thing.

In real terms it means pretty much **** all to the individual (a really big drinker could save 12-15 pence) yet the cumulative effect would be quite a lot of tax revenue.

footflaps

I fully agree, but if he suggested a penny on petrol the motor lobby would be up in arms about the end of the world…..

chewkw
    Free Member

On the other hand, I think I will vote UKIP clown instead just for the fun of it to let them wind up the Eurocrates. 😆

woody2000

Isn’t the penny off a pint more likely to help the pub, not the drinker? A penny less tax means a penny more profit? Not a bad thing BTW, just an observation.

kimbers

HOUSE!

quite a shrewd move 3 million bingo players in the country, mostly women in poorer areas!

tomhoward

Isn’t the penny off a pint more likely to help the pub, not the drinker? A penny less tax means a penny more profit? Not a bad thing BTW, just an observation.

Nail. Head.

Kryton57

Crikey, me and my 2.4 family will be about £800 better off in fy15/16. Time to go blue?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Eh? What?

I’ll pay attention again when i’m back off minimum wage.

bamboo
    Free Member

Penny off a pint? I’d rather that they halved tax on pork scratchings – that’d save me more, and put money into real pubs, not poncy wine bars. 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Does this mean you can put £15k annually into a cash isa from next month?

allthepies
    Free Member

Cash and shares Isas to be merged into single New Isa with annual tax-free savings limit of £15,000 from 1 July

1st July is an odd date ? Normally all these things start on a tax yr boundary.

sbob
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Crikey, me and my 2.4 family will be about £800 better off in fy15/16. Time to go blue?

No, that just makes you selfish.

hooli

dangerousbeans – Member

In real terms it means pretty much **** all to the individual (a really big drinker could save 12-15 pence) yet the cumulative effect would be quite a lot of tax revenue.

Drinkers never see the penny anyway, I guess the pubs get a slight bonus in hard times though.

Klunk
    Free Member

hard times

? and there was me thinking Britain is booming.

footflaps

Shares in gambling firms are falling as the City reacts to the new 25% tax on fixed-odds betting machines. Ladbrokes are down 4.5%, and William Hill down 3.8%.

Well it’s a start. 99% would have been better though….

kimbers

agreed footflaps

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quite right….those fixed odds machines are a cancer that should be cut out completely!

I have to say (and don’t flame me for this) when the appalling deficit numbers were set out after the last election, along with all the rest of the endless doom and gloom, we NEVER expected serious growth, serious reductions in unemployment, reductions in the deficit etc etc for years to come.

George is a total GENIUS!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we NEVER expected serious growth, serious reductions in unemployment, reductions in the deficit etc etc for years to come.

And you didn’t get it – despite inheriting a growing economy recovery was delayed for three years.

George is indeed a genius for convincing, those who want to be convinced, that delayed recovery is some sort of great achievement.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Inheriting a growing economy??? 😯

I seem to recall the money had all gone, the deficit was wildly out of control, people everywhere at every level were losing their jobs and we were entrenched in recession along with all of europe and the US.

Seems to me that the decisions taken have put us into a far stronger position than our European and US Allies.

footflaps

And it’s still delayed, we’re still not back to 2008 levels and won’t be for some time…

Seems to me that the decisions taken have put us into a far stronger position than our European and US Allies.

If you mean encouraging another debt fuelled housing boom to shore up the economy, as that’s all they’ve really done with their help to buy scheme.

Rockape63
    Free Member

If you mean encouraging another debt fuelled housing boom to shore up the economy, as that’s all they’ve really done with their help to buy scheme.

You gotta be kidding me….that scheme has only used £150M (from his speech) the housing bubble is as a result of confidence. People who have held off for the past 5 years see NOW is the time to move.

Rockape63
    Free Member

And it’s still delayed, we’re still not back to 2008 levels and won’t be for some time…

In 2008 we were spending far more than we were earning, which is how we got into this mess. We NEVER want to get back to 2008 levels of spending, just earning.

IHN

Wow, he’s removed the compulsion to buy an annuity on retirement.There’ll be a number of brown-stained trousers in Life and pension companies up and down this afternoon I’d imagine…

I love the Osborne quote “People who have worked hard and saved hard all their lives, and done the right thing, should be trusted with their own finances. And that’s precisely what we will now do. Trust the people.”

Brave man, George. I think you’ll find that many of the people will sp@nk their pension pot in about 5 years and spend the rest of their retirement on the basic state pension…

Nobby

Didn’t I hear recently that we will be back at 2008 levels later this summer?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Brave man, George. I think you’ll find that many of the people will sp@nk their pension pot in about 5 years and spend the rest of their retirement on the basic state pension…

Thats just insulting people. Yes there will always be a few, but don’t you think its ridiculous that people who have saved all their lives can’t touch most of the money they have saved? If you had enough to last you for years and knew you were dying, wouldn’t you want to access that money to give to your family, or even spend? Currently if you die a year into your pension, you never get a penny back. (or your family doesn’t!)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Inheriting a growing economy???

Yep. In his 2010 budget speech Osborne forecast that growth would be 1.2% that year – he became Chancellor in May 2010.

Osborne also in his 2010 budget speech predicted that growth would be 2.3% the following year, and 2.8% in 2012.

He promised uninterrupted growth.

footflaps

If you had enough to last you for years and knew you were dying, wouldn’t you want to access that money to give to your family, or even spend?

If you are severely ill you can already access your pension early, there are special provisions to cover this.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yep. In his 2010 budget speech Osborne forecast that growth would be 1.2% that year – he became Chancellor in May 2010.

Osborne also in his 2010 budget speech predicted that growth would be 2.3% the following year, and 2.8% in 2012.

Okay…and from the info he had at the time, it was probably realistic. BUT…we then had the Greek tragegy, Spain almost collapsing, bail outs etc which caused massive shockwaves.

I said he was a Genius, not a Fortune teller!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Budget thread’ is closed to new replies.