• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Toddlers and plug sockets
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

can you be electrocuted by sticking a finger into a plug socket?

project
    Free Member

Just tried it and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssss, god that hurt.

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Yes, i know of someone who is a paramedic, they have seen a little one killed by sticking something in a socket, put safty caps on them all and try to teach them it's not a good idea, honest!! Lil RT has always been good but it only takes one time..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

are you a toddler?

Hairychested
    Free Member

No, unless you're a kid and then everything is possible.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Most decent sockets these days have coverer over the live and neutral. They are inside the cover and move out of the way when the earth pin is pushed in. Which is why the earth pin is longer

coffeeking
    Free Member

Very difficult without a pointy object, they (should) have tiny flap that stops you poking stuff in. It's fairly hard to do so even when you want to TBH – I spent a good minute trying to get a good reliable connection with my meter tips and that was with a screwdriver in the earth pin to lift the flaps. But kids are good at sticking wet fingers in holes and not all sockets are the newer type with the little flaps, so probably worth getting the little cap things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plus the litte flaps can break and jam.

Rio

put safty caps on them all

Really?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not again?

molgrips
    Free Member

The ones we have are extremely tight, to the point we have great difficulty removing them with a variety of levers and tools.

kcr
    Free Member

Interesting point about socket covers being dangerous. I just thought they were a waste of time when every socket has a built-in safety device already.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

When our oldest was a toddler I caught him just in time as he was doing a fine job of shoving my house keys into a socket in the hall…….

scary!

luked2
    Free Member

Get some safety caps.

Not only do they prevent children electrocuting themselves, they also stop the electricity leaking out during the night.

If you've got a leaky socket, then dangerous quantities of electricity can collect in invisible, but utterly deadly puddles on your floor.

Alternatively, replace your carpet with chicken wire.

sweepy
    Free Member

As a child I stuck a nail in a plug socket. I have no memory of it but apparently I hit the opposite wall before the floor. Didn't kill me tho.

igm

Didn't we just do this?
    Click for deja vu

My offer stands by the way – if I can find them

samuri
    Free Member

he he. Have any of you got kids?

Any enterprising child, especially a boy, will be able to lever up the earth cover in a couple of seconds with a wide variety of implements freely available around the house.

Get some plug covers as suggested above, they'll only slow the kids down but it'll give you the time needed to wrench them away when you find them with some stripped down earphones in their mouth with one lead in the neg and one in the pos.

My lad once used some car keys to lever up the cover in the five seconds my wife was trying to stop the video recorder from eating the jam buttie he'd placed in there, had a pencil in the pos hole and was looking round for something equally condutcive to ram in the other before she returned from the said sandwich protection mission.

igm

Yes I do, an inquisitive young chap he is too – and there is no way I'd use socket covers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Toddlers and plug sockets’ is closed to new replies.