Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Today mostly I …… (Land Roverist content)
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great work, they don’t normally start first time good spannering

It took a couple of turns on the key to bleed the injectors and build up some oil pressure. The engine has been sitting in my shed for at least six months, so it’s a relief it started so well.

No nasty noises, smoke, leaks or head gasket issues.

The heater took a while to remove the airlock but its toasty warm now.

I dont do a lot of spannering, I’m largely self taught mostly on home restored projects. My dad had a PhD in Engineering but failed to nurture my latent interest. The Morris was a project he started as a student but left in a hundred boxes. I fixed it up after he ran off with his secretary in my mid twenties. Fixing it up was the perfect antidote to the misery he left at home. I sent him pictures of it. I never received even a nod of approval.

will
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    I love McMoonterworld

Couldn’t agree more!

Always enjoy a McMoonter thread!

Riksbar

Good skills McM!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A couple of months in and it’s pulling like the proverbial…..

In fact it feels more powerful with a fully laden trailer than without 🙂

I clipped the indicator on a tree and had to duct tape it on and the interior rear view mirror fell off yesterday. You’ve got to love a Land Rover.

itstig

Is the train just balanced on the logs or are you roping it on? 😉

globalti
    Free Member

He’s having a tug ‘o war with the train!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The other day I managed to do some epic reversing into the coppice. We loaded up what must have been 2.5 tons of logs. The ground had been frozen but the sun was up and a thaw underway. No problem, I’ve got good mud terrains and a centre diff lock. Grip was good until the trailers wee wheels just couldn’t roll over a root. The Land Rover wheels just spun digging a hole.

We were only the the length of the Land Rover and trailer from a better road surface. We tried to tow it with the Ranger’s Hi Lux but it just spun out too. Nowt for it but to unload the trailer, get it back on to the road and hand ball all the wood back into the trailer.

We gathered three loads, by end of the day I was toast, after that evening’s night ride I was done.

You don’t see that part in lifestyle mags with neat baskets of logs beside wood burning stoves.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

richmars

You don’t see that part in lifestyle mags with neat baskets of logs beside wood burning stoves.

Very true, the old saying about wood warming you 3 times is so right.
    Even at minus temps 5 mins in anti-chain-saw trousers and I’m sweating buckets.

itstig

Gathering wood can be savage amusement. I looked at a 40ft wind blown larch yesterday,can’t get closer than 20 yds so it is all to carry out. One problem just standing looking I sank ankle deep! I was hoping for a keen frost going to have to pick the right time. Even free wood makes you pay in one way or another.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The pic above was from a local country park. The Ranger’s do conservation projects there with volunteers and school groups. Yesterday afternoon a school group was scheduled to be there. The Ranger was keen to have them carry wood as it keeps them out of mischief.

I turned up at the allotted time and made a start loading. I’d loaded about half the trailer, before I checked the time. No school group, they’d cancelled. Bummer.

It is hard physical work, but I do enjoy being out there.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yay the kids were there in force today. I was great seeing a bunch of kids thoroughly enjoying being out in the woods grafting with huge smiles on their faces. I’d have signed up for that class when I was at school. 😀

CountZero

Good thread, this! I’d missed it first time around, and just read it all the way through, nice work, mcm. I love the Morris, that is a really beautiful car, something to be really proud of. Nice job with the Disco, too. 😀

NZCol

Is that Lochore Meadows McM ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that Lochore Meadows McM ?

Yes, the kids that were there yesterday came from Inverkeithing.

NZCol

Blimey – flashbacks ! I’m from D Bay (moved there in 76 when there was very much just fields !) and used to go Scout camps up at Lochore Meadows

MrGrim

Blimey – flashbacks ! I’m from D Bay (moved there in 76 when there was very much just fields !) and used to go Scout camps up at Lochore Meadows

Do they still do the scout camps at fordell firs? I remember going many years ago with the Arbroath troup, then later nearly bought a house in the heart of the forest there.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.fordell-firs.org.uk/

Aye, bigger than ever.

NZCol

Used to mcmoontan bike in Fordell (see what i did there :wink:) back in the late eighties then loop round to that loch up the back between aberdour and dbay then over the top into the back nr mosmorran then over and back to burntisland. Ahhh memories….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

NZCol, those are my local trails I live near the top of your last descent home.

NZCol

Do you live in that farm with the bloody dog that bit my arse ? If so i shake my fist at you ! I used to dodge the little fecker all the time, there was a mega rough descent that dropped you out near the top of the Donkey Brae. Used to be some great riding in there. Had an epic collision on the Otterston Loch Rd with a car when my enthusiasm and inability to steer on gravel drifted me into the side of it ! Place has changed a bit since i left though to be fair.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

someone should make a telly program about mcmoonter

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you live in that farm with the bloody dog that bit my arse ?

No I’m further along the hill. That dog has been replaced by the angriest Alsatian you’ve ever seen. I never linger going past there.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Today mostly I …… (Land Roverist content)’ is closed to new replies.