Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Today mostly I …… (Land Roverist content)
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

…..took the 200 000 mile tired engine out of my elderly workhorse Discovery.

I found a 7000 mile relacement on ebay. I hope its as good as the vendor promised.

Any tips on realigning the engine with the gearbox? Is it easier with the engine mounts removed?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First you will need an Authentic Land Rover tool kit.

alfabus
    Free Member

you’ll probably need some bits of wood to help line things up too…. got any?? 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

can you not take the rad etc out and then bolt it all together and swing it down in?

Pigface
    Free Member

You need a few pairs of hands and prepare to swear a lot and lose some skin.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

can you not take the rad etc out and then bolt it all together and swing it down in?

Have you seen how big a Land Rover gear and transfer box is? The radiator, intercooler and oil cooler are all out. There is a lot of room, but engine mounts make the approach angle tricky.

Alfabus, I think you are spot on, I’ll have to get creative with wood. 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

slacken gear box mounts and use a jack to tilt nose of box up

least with my fender i prefer to fit engine and take out the seatbox andnfit the gear box to the engine with the crane in the cab.

dont think thats a goer

i had to split box and engine on my garage floor last week using a prybar ,:D

300tdi is it ? 7000since a rebuild maybe ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

a v8 engine and lt85 with transfer box and manifolds is 6ft 3 long ~ you can get one into a peugeot partner van with care. sits on its bump stops mind 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

300tdi is it ? 7000since a rebuild maybe ?

The seller said it had been completely rebuilt from the bottom up with a brand new genuine ‘head. He crashed the car after 7k and saved the engine.

On early Range Rovers you could take out the transmission tunnel which helps a lot, no so on Discos. There is a lt to be said for the old school meccano of Defenders and Series Land Rovers.

i had to split box and engine on my garage floor last week using a prybar ,:D

Mine came apart easily enough, its never that simple putting it back. 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

Today ive mostly been removing a stupid solex auto enrichment device ( choke) from a set of su carbs and replacing it with a manual choke. Sice the solex was doing what its renoind for and just flooding engine

Involving a full rebuild of the carbs as the castings and jets are different- manual chokes off an 85bhp defender engine and the solex was on a 145 disco v8

Just about fired first try as well if some sod hadnt left the interior lights on all day !

Battery on charge.

If this works its going in me 90 now i have a gear box in the correct shape 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Looking forward to lots of pics and details just like the fallen tree thread.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looking forward to lots of pics and details just like the fallen tree thread.

I’m hoping it will be a little less hair raising.

I need it fixed to collect a new stove, the delivery truck can’t get up the drive and I dont think the mothership can tow a fouteen foot Ifor Williams trailer.

swamp_boy

a v8 engine and lt85 with transfer box and manifolds is 6ft 3 long ~ you can get one into a peugeot partner van with care. sits on its bump stops mind

First time I read that I though you’d actually installed the engine in in the van 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not quite although 3.0 v6 engine box and rear axel from 406 coupe is tempting !!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If this works its going in me 90 now i have a gear box in the correct shape

Be sure to post some pics of the build.

Trekster

On early Range Rovers you could take out the transmission tunnel which helps a lot

Aye, brings back fond memories of the first one I tackled :D. Kid had decided to climb from rear seats to front and hit the low box lever ripping centre of clutch out and stripping a few cogs!!
    Also attended factory course on engine and gearboxes.

timbur
    Free Member

Just did one on my Fourtrak.
    It alined fine with the gearbox but took a huge amount of swearing to get it to sit down properly into it.
    We had a BIG hammer and bent a large breaking bar. It’s in now.
    Left the mounts in and only dropped the engine once. Luckily we were out of the way when the seatbelt snapped holding the engine to the crane :Oo

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well good news is – battery charged . Manual choke pulled out

Turned the key and it fired up straight up!

Although only on 1 or 2 cylinders :/

Tomorrow ill be going through the ignition assembly as it was running fine 3 months ago 🙂
    Moneys on coroded plugs and a damp dizzy

Just had to wind it ober for ages with the solex and no chance of it starting in the cold on that set up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rough as **** timbur – i like it .

Makes me getting engine outthe Van seem normal .

Peugeot partner loaded with a forklift

At my end – engine crane ran out of height once the van un weighted .

Picked up engine high as we could – threw in a bunch of bricks and fire wood to weigh van down and then drove the van out from under the engine 🙂

psling
    Free Member

Might sound daft but check that the studs/pegs on the bell-housing are matched to the newer engine…

timbur
    Free Member

Nice! We had a crane on the back of a flat bed truch. You should have seen the suspension sag with the Pig Iron Fourtrak engine hanging off the back corner.
    Anyway, Fourtrak are made for abuse. No point treating them nice as they’ll get use to it!
    My engine started before we had the rad back on. It ran like a dream. There’s a YouTube video of someone trying to kill one by running it dry and throwing stones in the air intake apparently.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Discovery engine is damn heavy too. I lifted it out of the shed suspended from the front of the Fergie MIL loader. Even with the tyres pumped up to the max, I could barely turn the steering wheel.

Tomorrow ill be going through the ignition assembly as it was running fine 3 months ago
    Moneys on coroded plugs and a damp dizzy

I’d check the distributor cap contacts. On the the RR they always corrode cutting the spark if left unused for a spell.

nasher
    Free Member

200k and another engine….should have got a jap 4*4

mcmoonter
    Free Member

200k and another engine….should have got a jap 4*4

+1, the Shogun the Disco replaced still pulled like a train, used no oil or coolant. Shame the chassis wasnt so durable.

This Discovery has never been welded, but the engine is toast. I’d sooner replace the engine than weld.

I’m sure I got my moneys worth out of it though. 👿

The scrapyard still gave me £500 for it. 😀

Riksbar

Why do people still buy Landrovers?
    They’re slow, uneconomical, handle badly, unreliable and leaky.

At least the Diisco is comfortable.

But I did grin all the way home in my new Defender last night.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

For my needs, a cheap, rugged DIY fixable 4×4 that can tow a trailer off road, a Discovery fits the bill well. I would perhaps have bought a 90, but they are just too expensive for whay you get. I ran a Series IIA for years, and loved it’s character, coil sprung Land Rovers are a step up, but not a quantum leap in terms of refinement.

mattbee

I’ve just replaced my Disco after 10 years of working my way ‘up’ to it, from S3 airportable through 90, RRC v8 etc…
    I bought a VW T5 which is a different kind of money pit. I love the VW but I miss having a Landy. Luckily my boss collects them in military form so I get to scratch the itch fairly regularly.
    May have to get my arse in gear this winter and sort the rally car out; get that sold and buy another Series. Hmm…. Anyone want a stage prepped Suzuki Swift?

globalti
    Free Member

We sold our 1986 RAF 90, we miss it dreadfully and will have another one, one day.

Er, haven’t they got the same engine, gearbox and suspension ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Situation Reoprt.

My brother came over this afternoon and gave me a hand to get the engine back in. I took off the engine mounts and propped up gear box. It took a couple of goes to get the engine level for the bell housing bolts to line up. It went together well, but it’s definatley a two man job. A second time would be much easier. So I just need to connect everything back up and fingers crossed all should be good. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well ive not had so much luck,.,,,.

Dizzy is looking tasty but i cleaned it up anyhoo as are leads – resistance is good

Plugs are sooted to **** so i cleaned them up. – ive got a spark when i earth each plug to ground and turn the key

Despite a healthy flow from my facet pump when its disconected hook it up and i dont get much if any into the carb.- everthing up to the carb is clear and he carbs visually clear.

Definantly think its a fueling issue – and to be sure theres fuel in it emptied another jerry can in the tank of fresh fuel.

How annoying . Was running on a couple cylinders last night and now none 🙂

Had to leave it and crack on with diy or mrs t-r would be at me for “wasting” another day.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Where are all the pics????

parkesie
    Free Member

suport nose of gbox
    leave mounts loose
    ensure pegs and studs match up between bell housing and engine.
    remove slave cylinder.
    lower engine and slide in till you have about a inch and a half gap between bellhousing and engine,make sure its all straight then with gbox in gear slowly turn engine over gbox input splines should line up with clutch and itl all slide together easily.

failing this loose temper hit things with hammers and bits of wood swear cut knuckles swear some more throw toys have cup of tea while someone else just walks past and it goes together.

parkesie
    Free Member

watch out for breather pipes and starter wires getting pinched when its going back together.

nwilko
    Free Member

LandRover toolkit would never include any hammer less than 2lb in weight..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Where are all the pics????

Basically they are the same as the OP but in reverse order.

Parkesie, I propped up the tail end on the gearbox, removed the engine mounts completely, I left the clutch slave cylinder in place. I jacked up a rear wheel, put it in gear, then turned the wheel to line up the splines.

No hammers were deployed. Though numerous cups of tea were.

Note to self, do engine swaps in summer not late November, there was frost in the stable yard all day. .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s everything reconnected and reassembled.

I just need to fill it up with coolant and antifreeze. I will leave it till morning, it’s barely been above zero all day.

I hope it snows a lot to make it worthwhile!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I filled the cooling system, bled the injectors and it started first time. Perfect timing as we were hit by an ice storm last night.

It runs more quietly than the old engine and it pulls like a train.

Job satisfaction? Off the scale. 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

I love McMoonterworld 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Great work, they don’t normally start first time 🙂 good spannering

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Today mostly I …… (Land Roverist content)’ is closed to new replies.