Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Today it's 20 years no beers.
  • tang
    Free Member

20 years ago today, at the tender age of 21. I don’t miss it, but on occasion I can remember the full taste of a pint of ale. And perhaps once a year I get the urge to get totally shit faced.

nickc

why did you decide to stop?

jambalaya
    Free Member

For whatever reason you did it that’s quite an achievement assuming you you where a beer drinker before.

Life’s too short for no beer or wine for that matter 😉

ton

beer is god’s way of showing us that he love’s us.

scandal42
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmm beer, thanks for reminding me.

milky1980
    Free Member

20 years is impressive, hard to avoid it in our culture!

Just coming up to 5 years (October 7th) for the last time I had any alcohol. Had to stop as I’d had too many bangs to the head so any gives me headaches for days now. Only time I miss it is on a warm summer’s evening and I can smell freshly cut hay, takes me back to my youth. Could murder a decent cider then, but on the whole don’t miss it in the slightest.

zanelad
    Free Member

Well done. I drink very little, but a couple of beers once in a while is nice.

Not sure I’d want to give it up completely, but chateau to those who can.

iainc

Doing Sober October so over 20hrs for me so far 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

That’s a bit extreme without even drinking a pint.

What is your reason(s)?

neilthewheel

, but chateau to those who can.

😆

gavinpearce
    Free Member

18 months for me. I think the first six months was hardest. 20 years really good effort.

shermer75
    Free Member

I have to admit I am a bit jealous of all usable Sundays you just have had over the years!! 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

You’re missing out on some great beers 🙂 The urge to get trollied I don’t get however, perhaps that was the issue.

jekkyl

Op you’re weird! 😉 no beer! 😕

GrahamS

Sorry for your loss OP 🙁

wilburt
    Free Member

Day 12, it won’t last but being alcohol free is strangely pleasant.

unklehomered
    Free Member

For that, I’m guessing there were solid and considered reasons.

Good on you. Like Wilburt I’ve had occasional windows, I know it would be a good idea in many ways, but realistically its never going to happen.

I think you can be proud of that achievement. Wishing you the best for 20 more.

brakes
    Free Member

now is the greatest time in history for beer.
    you’re really missing out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eh?

What, no beer handups whilst riding CX??

20 years is like, well you don’t get that for murder these days do you..

unklehomered
    Free Member

OP, are you in prison for multiple murder?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well done OP ! 15 years for me 😀

zilog6128

now is the greatest time in history for beer.
    you’re really missing out.

sadly this is true OP. If the last beer you had was 20 years ago, you really have no idea what you are missing. Good work on the commitment though!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The fact you are counting and celebrating a landmark is not good, for you that is.
    Good luck with it for the next 20 years though.

rkk01
    Free Member

Well done… You’ve not shared your reasons, but the commitment is strong.

For many of us there is a zone between teetotal, sober, “a few”, inebriated, bingeing and “too many” that we may stray into (or across) from time to time, but we can / think we can come back to the straight and narrow. The margins may get thin now and again…

However, I’m reminded of a family gathering about 10 years ago. We were celebrating the 100th birthday of a greatly respected, but steadfastly straight-laced family member, who maintained a sharp wit and intellect for many years after the “ton”. Naturally, he gave a speech, and attributed his longevity to very little meat and no alcohol.

His far more wayward (60 something) son stood up mid speech and interjected “bugger that for a game of soldiers”* 😉

* actual words might have been slightly different, but effect conveyed…!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is it really 20 years or does it just seem like that? 😉

Cougar

Well done. You should celebrate.

Oh.

rascal
    Free Member

20 years ago today, at the tender age of 21

So you were 1 when you had your last pint? 😉
    Seriously though, that’s some effort. I think I’m doing well if I don’t drink betweem Sunday and Thursday 😕

robowns
    Free Member

Well done. You should celebrate.
    Oh.

Very good.

CountZero

I really can’t imagine life without having a decent pint or bottle of beer every now and again, although I’m trying to make sure I’ve got some in for at least one bottle an evening.
    After an eleven or twelve hour day, that first mouthful just really hits the spot!
    I can remember the last time I actually got shitfaced, but not exactly when, it was so long ago.
    Quality, not quantity is the key.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

neil the wheel – Member
    , but chateau to those who can.

Have one on the house that man 😉

Schweiz
    Free Member

5 years for me this December since I reclaimed my life from alcohol. Our alcohol dominated culture still bemuses me. Still get cravings a couple of times a month, mainly for ale, white wine or champagne and I can still recall exactly the taste of all drinks, even specific vineyards and vintages.

Was at a wine festival today but oddly never even for a millisecond thought about having any.

Alan Carr worked for me in case anyone else has a problem.

tang
    Free Member

Its a fairly long story that basically boils down to making a clear decision.

I wasn’t a big drinker but had diverted my attentions to experimenting, rather too deeply with all sorts of drugs. This included some lost time in Calcutta opium dens, steely will power dug me out from that. Being from a mixed background with strong bearing on my life; part Flandrien (bikes, beer etc) part Establishment/minor aristocrat (Harrow, Sloane range, diplomatic service etc) and part Indian Brahmin! Who would I follow?, I yearned for adventure but with purpose, the stifling corridors of the FCO were not on and I wasn’t good enough to ride for a living.
    Well, I woke up one morning and knew, the South Asian studies at college had scratched the surface on another world but the academic angle just left me empty. I followed my Indian family tradition and set off to be a monk, this meant 3 years on the road with no contact, no money and crucially an abstinence from intoxicants and sex. Those years were truly something very very special and all those miles serving old Sadhus on the road from the high Himalaya to the deep jungles set me up for a life that on the whole has been pretty unconventional, but pretty good. Booze lost, but you will be pleased to know Bikes were never off the cards.

robowns
    Free Member

Was at a wine festival today but oddly never even for a millisecond thought about having any.

Sounds fun.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jebus, 20 years aff it? you must have made a monumental **** of yourself between the ages of 18-21 to last that long! a week normally suffices, 2 if it was really bad! 😆 That’s one hefty dose of the heebeejeebees!

franksinatra

Its a fairly long story that basically boils down to making a clear decision.

I wasn’t a big drinker but had diverted my attentions to experimenting, rather too deeply with all sorts of drugs. This included some lost time in Calcutta opium dens, steely will power dug me out from that. Being from a mixed background with strong bearing on my life; part Flandrien (bikes, beer etc) part Establishment/minor aristocrat (Harrow, Sloane range, diplomatic service etc) and part Indian Brahmin! Who would I follow?, I yearned for adventure but with purpose, the stifling corridors of the FCO were not on and I wasn’t good enough to ride for a living.
    Well, I woke up one morning and knew, the South Asian studies at college had scratched the surface on another world but the academic angle just left me empty. I followed my Indian family tradition and set off to be a monk, this meant 3 years on the road with no contact, no money and crucially an abstinence from intoxicants and sex. Those years were truly something very very special and all those miles serving old Sadhus on the road from the high Himalaya to the deep jungles set me up for a life that on the whole has been pretty unconventional, but pretty good. Booze lost, but you will be pleased to know Bikes were never off the cards.

Is that it? I was expecting something a bit more interesting

wait4me

^brilliant! 🙂

wwaswas

Is that it? I was expecting something a bit more interesting

*hat*

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Today it's 20 years no beers.’ is closed to new replies.