Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Today I learnt……….
  • timbur
    Free Member

…………it's all well and good having 4wd and lockable diffs with high and low range gears but if you don't know how to use them you can look a bit of a prat 😳

Managed to get off the beach but it was touch and go.

Beach

I was there at low tide and needed a few gallons of sea water :O)

Tim

wwaswas

bloomin' townies and their Chelsea tractors…

glad you got away with it!

timbur
    Free Member

Try this one

There, that's better.

And yes, need to get them to pay for an offroad course…………

………..or not venture beyond my current skills :O(

wwaswas

spent an entertaining day bombing around the chalk pit at Shoreham in my brothers LWB Series 3 LandRover a few years back – doesn't take long to learn how it all works but at first it was all very confusing.

timbur
    Free Member

Defender 110 LWD here. Great fun and wheelspin tastic on the pebbles. There was a moment I thought I was going to have to call a colleague to tow me back up but a push of a lever and a bit of throttle action saw me going sideways up the bank slowly.

U31
    Free Member

The front and back diffs dont lock on any land rover, only the centre diff unless you buy aftermarket lockers… it only needs one wheel each end to lose traction while in centre difflock to go nowhere, and if not in difflock only one wheel spinning will stop you dead…

Pembo
    Free Member

You sure U31? So if you drop both left wheels off the road into a boggy bit you are stuffed??

timbur
    Free Member

U31 – see, you lost me already

U31
    Free Member

Certain.
    And yup.

wwaswas

someone managed to 'beach' this whale at the end of my road by getting one wheel on each of the two rear axles off the ground;

took them some time and a lot of planks of wood to sort it out.

timbur
    Free Member

Was it Chris EUwank?

U31
    Free Member

there are three diffs in a 4wd, to prevent transmission windup when turning corners, one wheel goes further then the other, that's the basics…

The centre diff allows the windup to spin out that's why its selectable.
    selecting on tar or very hard ground will wind up the transmission and snap a halfshaft..

Go jack up one wheel off the ground, out of difflock, and try to drive off. The car WILL NOT MOVE.
    Try a wheel back AND front now, difflock selected, and do the same, again the car will not move.
    Take ONE jack away, the car WILL move..
    If you had aftermarket lockers, either front or back or even better both, selecting one or both now the car WOULD move.

timbur
    Free Member

u31 – sounds like you need to teach me how to drive these things!

wwaswas

tim – no one of the blokes from the garage was dwiving.

there was an impressive amount of wheel spin going on – I was a bit worried that if he did suddenly get traction he'd demolish several nearby houses.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

U31 – Member
    The front and back diffs dont lock on any land rover

U31, being pedantic, and not relevant in the OP case, I understood that RR's, Disco's and Freelanders used the anti-lock braking/ESP systems to provide a quasi diff lock. Not a true diff lock, but has the same effect

U31
    Free Member

I could do, ive driven them for years but your best bet is to go on a course..

Did i show you lot this pic before?

That had front and rear lockers, and i NEVER got it stuck despite some hairy moments like dropping the front passenger wheel down a hidden dissused mineshaft!

In fact looking at that pic, the rusty dent on the arch was the only damage resultant from that episode!

timbur
    Free Member

(Luke) Tee hee. That would have made the Argus!

(u31) I'd give you right of way in that I think :Oo

U31
    Free Member

Captain, not true difflock, as you say, but i did once see an L223 Range Rover walk itself out of a crossaxle situation on the traction control and air suspension that would have stranded a 110!
    Lots of clicking as the actuators took control, a bit of revs, air suspension took it up to the emergency top hieght position and slowly but surely away it went!
    Impressive

peachos
    Free Member

when i lived in queenstown me and a mate borrowed another of our mate's 4wd & took off for an adventure down skippers canyon – a rough offroad track along a river that was used heavily during their gold rush period. as we were driving along we spotted a track that led down to the water's edge where there was an abandoned, rusting hull so we went down for a look. it was cool. we then set off back up the steeps to the main track but soon realised that what we had come down was loose, akin to sand. 😳 spent a good three hours trying to get the thing back up but it was just digging deeper and deeper grooves. tried getting the shovels out and digging down to more firm ground but to no avail.

after exhausting all possibilities of getting out and getting eaten alive by the sandflies we reluctantly locked up the car and set off on the long, rapidly darkening walk out. as if by luck we happened across an old dismantled gate and some fencing about halway up the hill. a few trips to & fro and some strategic placing and we finally made progress over the sandpit and out on to the main track. probably one of the most relieved moments of my life as we didn't have to tell our mate we'd got her car stuck down a valley.

good fun though!

timbur
    Free Member

Her? And 4wd? Was it a Freelander or a Vitara?

In Dubai when they (Tour drivers) got the Landcruser stuck in the sand they just slipped it into 1st and came off the clutch. The car dug itself out. Amazing. Surfing the dunes in a big 4wd was hairy as a passenger. I've no doubt the driver knew what was coming but I had a few "tight" moments :Oo

peachos
    Free Member

haha…vitara.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That's quite cute that little truck.

singlecrack
    Free Member

all that technology and all you had to do was let the tyres down to about 8-10 psi

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Today I learnt……….’ is closed to new replies.