• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • To SID or not to SID
  • crossman553
    Free Member

Looking for a change of fork to sid race/world cup’s, on all my bikes past to present have been fitted with foxes.. from r’s to rlc’s

If i were to change it would only be to try something different.
    I am going to be doing a few races this year all in suffolk so its pretty flat single track.

What are peoples views on rock shox sid race’s?
    Is it worth the change from fox to rock shox or am i just being impulsive???

epo-aholic
    Free Member

if you race and relatively quick, sid’s are great if its for general trail riding you’ll be mightily disappointed switching from fox

sam_underhill

Last year’s SID RLT Ti in 120mm 15mm axle here. Light, stiff (for the genre of fork) pretty cheap compared to the equivalent FOX. I’m pleased as punch, reasonably easy to setup, they work so well that I forget they are doing their job.
    Only down side on mine is that the -ve air sometimes sucks down a little into the travel over time, then when resetting pressures there’s always a small sppirt of oil from the -ve valve. Nothing a decent service wouldn’t fix, just waiting for the spring clean to happen 😉

edit: In limited back to back testing against a FIT 32 on a friend’s trek, I think the SIDs are a little more plush. To be honest there wasn’t much in it. So, cheaper and lighter and otherwise doing the same job; what’s not to like?

grtdkad

I have a SID WC and a SID RLT here

More or less fit and forget…lovely bit of kit .

bobalong
    Free Member

I switched from Fox F120 RLC Fit to SID XX 120 and felt a noticeable improvement in stiffness.

SID’s are great, go for it!

I have my XX 120’s for sale I’d you’re interested…. 2012, 120mm, std steerer, white and qr. Yours for £320 posted!

njee20
    Free Member

Dunno why you’d be disappointed with SIDs for trail riding, they’re less hassle, last better and perform very similarly. I had some 2010 SID Races and they were on par with my current F100 RL FIT kashimas.

crossman553
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input chaps…

It might sound stupid but do the (Sid race) feel more racy than fox’s???

JohnnyPanic

then when resetting pressures there’s always a small sppirt of oil from the -ve valve

This is quite normal, it’s just lubrication in the lower chamber and is supposed to be there. Turn them upside down for a few seconds to minimise.

footflaps

My only experience with a SID World Cup Black Box fox was very short lived, 2nd ride, half way down the back of Jacob’s Ladder it collapsed completely, nearly taking me off. Was pronounced dead by LBS and promptly replaced by a Fox F100 which lasted years….

RoterStern
    Free Member

I changed my Fox RLT forks in the spring for a new set of SID XX. Though there is a little loss in fork performance compared to the Fox it is not as much as with older RS forks. Plus they are much easier to maintain and don’t need to be sent away for a service (my LBS is a RS service centre).

p7rich
    Free Member

I have ridden Fox for years and built a bike with QR SID RLTs last year. Love ’em. Fit and forget. I regularly fiddle with my 150mm Fox’s as they are never quite ‘right’. The thought of tweaking the SIDs has never crossed my mind. Rode the same stuff as the Fox’s and don’t even notice the loss of travel on the way down. Would recommend.

Taff
    Free Member

Always ridden fox forx but recently bought an epic with Sids and think they are much better

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘To SID or not to SID’ is closed to new replies.