Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • To all you MTB racers out there!
  • compkiler
    Free Member

I have £1800 notes to spend!

I have narrowed it down to the Cube brand!

Do i go for a really light and agile 26er http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/pro-comp/reaction-gtc-sl/

or the

slighty heavier 29er
    http://www.cube.eu/en/29er/reaction-29-gtc-sl/

Shorty121
    Free Member

Try a 29er at a demo day if you can and see if you prefer it

4ndyB
    Free Member

Good luck finding a Cube 29er in stock, Cube themselves sold out of almost every 29er they had months ago! No 29er GTC SL’s available to order from Cube at all for the rest of the year

Cube do offer excellent value for money bikes, hence selling out of the 29ers so soon

The Reaction GTC SL 26er is in stock with Cube (according to my latest info) so should be no availability issues in any size

I’m on my 2nd Cube in 2 years, it’s a bit different to what you’re after, but it’s a great bit of kit & I know the Reaction range is highly regarded by those who ride them

Feel free to email me if you want any more info

njee20
    Free Member

If you don’t even know what size wheels you want why have you narrowed it down to one brand?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you don’t even know what size wheels you want why have you narrowed it down to one brand?

^^This^^

Almost certainly lured by shiny things, as many people are.

Road bike buyers are the worst, IMO – “ooh, look, an Ultegra rear mech! Must buy it”

“Erm, but the frame is utter bobbins”

“Doesn’t matter, look, it’s Ultegra! Shiny, shiny, shiny!”

d45yth
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a race bike you’ll be looking for the lightest weight for your money are you? If so, have you looked into Giant or Specialized?

flange
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a race bike you’ll be looking for the lightest weight for your money are you?

This…

have you looked into Giant or Specialized?

and this contradict each other. If I wanted something lightweight for that sort of money, Spec/Giant would be the last place I look.

Have a look at Canyon as well – the spec is amazing for the money.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Almost certainly lured by shiny things, as many people are.

Road bike buyers are the worst, IMO – “ooh, look, an Ultegra rear mech! Must buy it”

“Erm, but the frame is utter bobbins”

“Doesn’t matter, look, it’s Ultegra! Shiny, shiny, shiny!”

Spotted on a LinkedIn group recently:

Q: What’s the most important advice when buying a road bike?”

A: “Marry the frame, date the components.”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆
    So very, very true!

compkiler
    Free Member

FAO Njee,

Well, thanks for the sarcastic remark 🙂

Anyway, the reason i have narrowed it down to this brand is value for money, weight and knowledge from a few friends who already have Cube bikes.

I had my first mtb race a little while ago now and loved it! I got chatting to a few lads there and 29ers were mentioned quite alot. I havent ridden one i know but if they are that much quicker than a lightweight 26′ because they roll better, then i want to make the right decssion now, not after ive bought it!

I have thought about the Giant XTC 1 Composite but i saw to many people on them in my last race and fancied something different.
    I saw a good review in MTB mag this week also regarding it but i just fancy something different.

I also dont like the look of the Specialized 29r’s either… and i know i shouldnt be buying a bike on looks but it does help when narrowing down the competition and when your spending your hard earned cash!!

Hope this clarifies!

Ps. The only other brand ive really thought about was Scott (Scale 35) and for the price, i get a lot more with the Cube so… It was a no brainer imo!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Stock seems to be a huge problem for many brands this year. It might be worth seeing what you can get rather than what you want.

But I would agree weight is king for xc racing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cyclewise at Whinlatter have 29er demos i think

njee20
    Free Member

If I wanted something lightweight for that sort of money, Spec/Giant would be the last place I look.

+1

On One, Canyon, Cube etc are all far better value than any of the big brands can manage.

Well, thanks for the sarcastic remark 🙂

Anyway, the reason i have narrowed it down to this brand is value for money, weight and knowledge from a few friends who already have Cube bikes.

It wasn’t saracstic, it was a genuine query. A bit like saying “I want an Audi, but I don’t know if I want a Q7 or an R8” – I’d be deciding what sort of bike I wanted and then look at the available options.

But as said, you really need to try some and see what you like. Certainly 29ers are far more prevalent this year than previously, it’s where I’d look for a new race bike. Still worth trying to get a demo on one though.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Scott make some nice lightweight frames. Not sure if they make a 29er though.

njee20
    Free Member

They do, but as with Trek/Spesh/Giant they’re a poorer spec for they money, particularly compared to the ‘direct sell’ brands.

compkiler
    Free Member

Well, ive just ordered the Cube 29r 🙂 Happy days!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I had a massive payout this month and was tempted by the Cubes, fantastic value for money. Then I remembered how bad the road frames were, so it was either a case of spending thousands on a frame to get the best or just stick with my fifty quid bike.
    Being very tight I’ve stuck with the fifty quid bike, but to compensate I’m training even harder.

Good luck with the Cube. Even after seeing three broken ones in eight months I was still tempted. After sales service is the best I’ve ever known though.

bugcab
    Free Member

“Then I Remembered how bad the road frames were”

You are the first person I have heard say this and I have been following cube for a while? Any links to other similar opinions?

“Good luck with the Cube. Even after seeing three broken ones in eight months I was still tempted. After sales service is the best I’ve ever known though.”

Guessing this is from you personal knowledge but again not heard anything like this said elsewhere.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘To all you MTB racers out there!’ is closed to new replies.