Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Titus Bikes
  • dazh

Anyone know much about Titus bikes?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITFTMCARRS/titus-ftm-carbon-frame-and-monarch-shock

Seems like a ludicrous price for a full carbon 130mm full-susser. Looks very similar to a Zesty.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

they are cheap because titus went bust.

on-one now own the brand and have promised to do their best to honour pre buyout warranties but nothing is stone clad. i ordered a mega cheap el-guapo from the states but after adding shock and import duties i decided to go for a S/H uk one instead, my dealings with the titus staff in the US were excellent though

pimp tastic bikes though

z1ppy

Yep much cheapness as they went bust and on-one in there fight to contain hotlines ( 😉 ) have bought them up, So are selling off stock cheap to off-set as much of the cost price as possible I imagine.
    Nowt wrong with them.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

personally i’d be shy of buying a carbon frame with unknown warranty support

mind you at that price…….

richc
    Free Member

not really unknown though as on-one warranty is very good.

Speshpaul

I’d be surpised if on one left you high and dry, they want the brand and want it to do well.

ibnchris

Don’t know much about the Titus Carbon frames but I ride a Titus X with carbon seat stays and love it. Kind of feels a bit like you’re riding a hard tail and then when you screw up on a rocky descent you realise you’ve got a full sus after all and all is rosy…

campfreddie
    Free Member

shooterman

I own a Titus Motolite. It’s the best bike I have ever owned. However, there are quite a few reports on US boards of failure on carbon Titus parts.

radoggair
    Free Member

However, there are quite a few reports on US boards of failure on carbon Titus parts.

But we can say that about nearly every bike out there. Christ, even my Turner 5 Spot has had 2 new rear ends and new rockers and a new main frame. Still would buy another*

* if i didn’t enjoy my hardtail so much and the speed it brings

shooterman

But surely the distinction here is that we are dealing with a company which has gone bust with a query over the warranty and availability of replacement parts?

uplink
    Free Member

On-One have clearly stated that all Titus frames bought from them carry a 2 year warranty

That’s good enough for me

Spud

I would at the price they’re doing them for. Love my Motolite.

Pigface
    Free Member

I hope On One keep on with the Titus quality, brilliant bits of kit. Made one of the most stunning bikes I have ever seen a mix of titanium and carbon, beautiful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t ST mag review that FTM frame?

Might be remembering wrong, but I think they gave it one of those diplomatic verdicts that bike mags do where they say “might be good if you want to grind out the miles”.

Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep, think you’re right chapaking. If I recall correctly the testers weren’t too keen on the geometry for mor technical riding. I have a motolite and it’s very, very good for big long all round routes. I’d like another cm in the top tube length although I did buy mine second hand so horses for courses I guess.

mildred

I had a Supermoto that was the best 4-bar I’ve ever ridden; lvely, fun, involving all the things a bike should be. The paint, however, was truly shocking, and jumped off at the merest sign of mud. Great ride made up for it. They are a bargain for what has always been a boutique product.

vondally
    Free Member

like mildred had a supermoto, brilliant bike great climbing bike and totally engaging, as good a four bar/hl gets on my list would be a titus el guapo, which got a stunning review from stw/benji a while back.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

One point to note the carbon FTM sold by on one is fitted with a Rock shox Monarch shock. The Bikes sold in The USA are fitted with Fox shock. I guess on-one aquired all the frames direct from far east carbon frame builder without shocks, so have had to source their own (cheaper) shocks. I have no experience with the Monarch shock so im not saying its no good, just pointing out the difference to US model.

Bertros
    Free Member

Great Frame price.. Not sure the SLX build for the Titus Carbon X amounts to such as great a “bargain” they make out, when starting with a £1280 frame and fork combo. I struggle to see where the other £720 sheets come from.. I will try 🙂

SLX group set for £280
    Avid Brakes for £130
    Wheels £250
    opps got there ! yes it is a very good price.. But i still can not help thinking I could do better buying a frame and shopping around, rather than rely on ON-ONE proprietary components..

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Got a Motolite and a Racer X. Brilliant bikes.

Rode the ML on a recent trip to Torridon after many months away from MTB and it compensated admirably for all my ineptitude, up and down.

FTM looks like a bargain, though the geometry may be a little tweaked from my 2006 ML.

andytherocketeer

Monarch is sposed to be pretty good from what I hear. People just “expect” a Fox shock, cos it’s got the image of being the best.

Was tempted by one of the Titus frames, but was put off by potential lack of support. I know and trust on-one, but if you break a rear end can you just get a replacement? I guess the same could be said of any small mfr though.

cheers_drive

Very tempted by the Rockstar 29er but I think I stick with my head and get a titanium hardtail 29er even if the frame does cost more.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i agree with Bertros on the questionable value of the full build option… i looked at it and just couldn’t see the point… if i were going to go in that direction i would buy the frame and shop about to get a good build with maxle SIDs (not qr), Stans Crest wheels, XT group (ideally 2×10 once the new stuff comes out in a couple of months), Ritchey WCS (or Thomson) finishing kit and so on… could probably get close to the On One price with all that with a bit of time and research.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

if you break a rear end can you just get a replacement?

On One say they have reached agreement with the previous manufacturers to make and supply frame parts, including rear triangle components so within the two year warranty it should be no riskier than any other bike.

uplink
    Free Member

if you break a rear end can you just get a replacement?

If it’s a warranty issue, On-One will either replace it or refund me
    If it’s not warranty my household insurance will take care of it

I fail to see any significant risk

The Rockstar frames shipped today 🙂
    I have everything but the forks 🙁

larrythelathe
    Free Member

heatset
    has anyone found a headset that can use a standard steerer

uplink
    Free Member
    larrythelathe
    Free Member

nope that will not fit the frame

when i use this it gives me a part number etc but can not see any way to order

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

larrythelathe
    Free Member

this pdf does not help much in my case

Andy

Had a large Motolite for 3 years. Like it, and have ordered an FTM Carbon as the slacker head angle, lighter frame and longer travel will cure all the faults I have with the Motolite. Not to say there is owt wrong with the motolite, just think the FTM an all round betterer bike.

Replacements wise, the new FTMs have cured the “light rail” rear stay issue and I have no worries On One will honour any warrantee issues.

For headset, actually correct me if I am wrong but I think the Evans mix and match choices work for a non tapered steerer:

EVANS

Cane creek

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-is42-short-carbon-top-headset-ec026961

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-is42-short-top-headset-ec026962

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-is42-tall-carbon-top-headset-ec026964

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-is42-tall-top-headset-ec026965

Bottom

Cane creek

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cane-creek/40-series-is52-conversion-bottom-headset-ec026972

Andy

And Ar$e. As all these are no longer available, but were when I did the search 3 weeks ago. 🙄 😥 😡

Sodajim

Larry I bought my head set from evens they have the separate cane creek top and bottom cups in stock. Use the cane creek code that on one list with the frame. Sorry working of my phone so excuse the crapy copy and pasting but I ordered:

1 EV144440-NA-BLKSeries IS52 Conversion Bottom Headset £22.99 2 EV144429-NA-BLK Cane Creek 40-Series IS42 Short Carbon Top Headset £39.99Delivery: £0.00

They also have an ally top set for a tenner less.

And the one one smoothy won’t fit. Nor will an angle set unfortunately

Sodajim

Sory Andy I only ordered mine on Friday and got it yesterday.
    Not much conservation for you though bud I know!

Andy

No worries Sodajim, sily me for not ordering 🙄

Sodajim

Talking builds I had a set of sun ringle chargers turn up today from cr. Not the latest pros but it looks like the previous model. Not ridden them but initially I don’t think I’m that impressed. no rim strips as depicted and brass nips not alloy as listed. Bearings don’t feel overly smooth either and the stickers are poop .Shame because sun singles used to be really nice. Any other sugestions? Want light but also want stiff. Replacing a set of crossmax sl’s but unfortunately I don’t have a crossmax budget at the moment. Must be 20mm axels

larrythelathe
    Free Member

ye i have been looking for hours zero stock or joy

uplink
    Free Member

nope that will not fit the frame

Are you sure?
    This page says it does

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITRKALURS/titus-rockstar-29er-frame-and-monarch-shock

Also, the US On-One guy on this thread says that’s what he’s using
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=683624

Sodajim

Not sure about the smothie set as I dont think on one list actual sizes on their web site. it could be just a couple of mm’s out so it could be squezed in! 😯

Sodajim

frame turned up an hour ago by the way!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Titus Bikes’ is closed to new replies.