Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Titanic, who else has had enough of it,
  • project
    Free Member

New museum in Belfast, about the dreaded boat,

every tv channel has programes about the thing,

local museums are doing displays about it,

New movie out soon about, the film titanic, now in 3d with Kate Winslett,

ITV, have a failing film series about the thing.

and it all happened a 100 years ago.

Cant we just forget about it.

What about the Wilhelm Gustloff, 10,000 killed when it was torpedoed.Or recently the Belgrano.

The Wilhelm gustloff?s final voyage was during Operation Hannibal in January 1945, when it was sunk while participating in the evacuation of civilians, military personnel, and Nazi officials who were surrounded by the Red Army in East Prussia. The Gustloff was hit by three torpedoes from the S-13 in the Baltic Sea under the command of Alexander Marinesko on the night of 30 January 1945 and sank in less than 45 minutes. An estimated 9,400 people were killed in the sinking, possibly the largest known loss of life occurring during a single ship sinking in recorded maritime history.

bikebouy
    Free Member
    jordie
    Free Member

This is right in the middle of Tennessee !!!

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7072/6893340928_88a9e4087e_z.jpg[/img]

MSP

Unusual for america that they were able to do that without being in the slightest bit tacky.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yep sick of seeing all the remakes and documentaries so I don’t watch them.

CountZero

What about the Wilhelm Gustloff, 10,000 killed when it was torpedoed.Or recently the Belgran

What about them? They were acts of war, not an accident in peacetime.
    What about the Birkenhead? I’ll bet you’ve never even heard of the tragedy that established the principle of ‘women and children first’?
    “When it came time to abandon this ship, the military officers ordered their men to “Stand fast” so that the women and children could take the few places available in the 3 lifeboats. It was their actions on that fateful day which actually established, for the very first time, the tradition of “Women and children first.”

Often wrongly given the prefix “HMS,” the Birkenhead was a government owned troopship of paddle-steamer (or side-wheeler) and sail design. On 25 February 1852 she sailed from Capetown for Algoa Bay carrying 638 persons. This included 25 women, 31 children and a crew of 130. All the remainder were British soldiers. Just after midnight she struck an uncharted rock off Danger Point and the ship was held firm. Lives were already lost and the survivors were assembled on deck. Of the 8 lifeboats, 5 were lost as they were launched – and with them the lives of many more soldiers. The horses also added to the confusion as they were released to swim ashore.

When the ship’s back was broken, several more lives were lost. Then the same thing happened at the stern. Eventually, however, 3 lifeboats were got away. Realising the surviving soldiers would swamp these 3 boats in their own desperate bids to survive, the officers ordered the men to stand fast – whereupon they stood to attention and remained so while the ship sank beneath them. 445 persons were lost and 193 survived – including “all” the women and children.

In this book about a great event in British military and sea-faring history, David Bevan gives a complete and compelling account. Commencing with a “Prelude to Disaster” we are given the background which covers the ship, those on board and a résumé of the a political situation of the day. From here we travel to Capetown and on to the wrecking. This is followed by various individual survivors accounts of their own ordeal. Next up are the Court Martial proceedings, followed by a Roll of Honour in which every single person who was on board that ship is named. The last 3 chapters are headed; Tributes to the Brave, The Birkenhead Regiments and The Search for Gold. It is a tribute to this author’s writing skills that readers will find themselves actually interested in discovering what happened to whom and which British Regiments were actually on board the ship.

That final chapter, however, is a testament to man’s greed over the sanctity of a War Grave. Never mind who died, why they died or even how they died – all I want is that gold and all that. The looks on the divers faces who are pictured with their finds – say it all. Quite sad really.”
    Review of Drums Of The Birkenhead

sv

You want to be over here (Belfast), wall to wall Titanic. At least the tourists have somewhere to go now (and it’s out of the way!).

project
    Free Member

What about the Birkenhead? I’ll bet you’ve never even heard of the tragedy that established the principle of ‘women and children first’?

Well actually i live there, and the great shipyard where she was built is down the road, alsong with astatue of Laird, in Hamilton SQ.

Jordie the real Titanic, had 4 funnels not 2,

rewski
    Free Member

I stumbled across the programme with the strictly ballroom fella in, was quite interesting, especially the band member from Eastbourne and the italian chefs.

zippykona

Not seen it yet ,so no spoilers if you please.

stuarty
    Free Member

Just on quee there was a bomb scare
    The morning the belfast titanic exabition opened

Well done belfast……

stuarty
    Free Member

Ps
    Zippykona
    It sunk

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think that’s just the front half…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mods can we re-title this thread “Project whining – who else has had enough of it?”

stuarty – Member
    Well done belfast

Yes, the entire city was to blame 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is how a “tragedy” that killed so many seems to have been glorified a fair bit! I also didnt agree that personal items were being sold off to the highest bidder!

dogbert
    Free Member

This just screams “moron” to me

Titanic, I think the most romantic part for me was when all the kids died.

nealglover
    Free Member

One of them was fake though, so it actually had three Funnels.

And one large tube on the roof.

project
    Free Member

Belfast titanic museum, cost 100 million, admission 13.50 per adult, thats a lot of peeps through the door to make it pay.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Expert in tourism now are you?

sputnik
    Free Member

Not a fan myself.

donsimon
    Free Member

What happened?

john_drummer
    Free Member

it got an iceberg that made its ears burn

donsimon
    Free Member

No heroes then? 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

The Boeing 747 is the modern equivalent of the great ocean liners, but did you know that two of those engines are actually fakes? Yes, that’s right, Boeing already had enough confidence in the engines to fit only two but they thought the ‘plane would look better with four.

stuey
    Free Member

globalti – why would you ‘weigh down’ a long haul air craft with ‘fake engines’?

hora
    Free Member

There were other awful sinkings (the liner sunk on the retreat from Russia) is one

philconsequence
    Free Member

rkk01
    Free Member

I guess that the Titanic story has all the elements of a gripping drama: Technological achievement and failure; bravery, coawardice, human failure and tragedy; wealth, privelge, entitlement and arrogance and vs poverty.

hora
    Free Member

MV Wilhelm Gustloff – 10,000 died/drowned.

zokes
    Free Member

hora – Member

MV Wilhelm Gustloff – 10,000 died/drowned.

Y’know, I’m sure I read about this recently, but I can’t quite remember where
    😉

hora
    Free Member

Oops 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

The Boeing 747 is the modern equivalent of the great ocean liners, but did you know that two of those engines are actually fakes? Yes, that’s right, Boeing already had enough confidence in the engines to fit only two but they thought the ‘plane would look better with four.

You missed April 1st by a couple of days.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Titanic, who else has had enough of it,’ is closed to new replies.