• This topic has 267 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • Tipping in Restuarnts – Wife Annoyed
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Went for a meal last night. I enjoyed it. Wife no so much. I tipped what I think is the standard 10%. Wife is now really pissed off at me and says that this (approx £9) was too much.

Personally I’d rather not tip at all – just tell me what the meal will cost up front. But it still seems to be the done thing.

So is £9 too much to tip? Do you tip at all?

PMK2060

I think £10 is reasonable if the meal is good. If the meal is poor then don’t bother with a tip.

Houns

Unless outstanding service then I don’t tip. Miss Houns tips 10% even if crap, this annoys me

bearnecessities

Ridiculously subjective, but only time I eat out nowadays is for the oh-so-painful work based, collective meal out.

For that alone, the poor sods deserve a tip. I tend to just round up to the nearest note, throw on table and run away. Not because I am loaded, but that I cannot stand people getting their phones out, arguing about how many drinks they have consumed etc.

In your situation, 10% fine and women I’ve known are simply experts in complaining about any tiny element in a meal out that may not be perfect, rather than just enjoying the experience of having food prepared and served to you in a nice environment!

cheers_drive

I tip 10% unless service is poor. In the US it’s expected to be at least 15% even if the service is bad, that’s ridiculous, especially as everyone wants a tips even if they just wipe your table.
    In Denmark no one tips as good service is expected.

trevron73
    Free Member

At my restaurant the tips are split equally between Waiting staff and kitchen . My tips are mine to do with what i want (car , MTB ,records, currently saving for a classic car project) so my wages go to the family and tips are all mine . Tip big folks fund the dream xx 😛

anagallis_arvensis

I tip about 10%. Tend to tip based on the service even if the meal wasnt great if the people serving did their best then they get a tip.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh come on, you know that’s not the real reason she’s pissed off.

Cougar

I tend to just round up to the nearest note, throw on table and run away. Not because I am loaded, but that I cannot stand people getting their phones out, arguing about how many drinks they have consumed etc.

Exactly what I do. Seems civilised, n’est-ce pas?

Generally tip round 10%, however if the meal is crap I WILL complain and not tip

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Plenty of people do valuable work for minimum wage or not far off and never get tips. Why should people who carry a plate from a kitchen to a table be any different?

I don’t tip.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

10% and unless the meal is really bad, not whinge about it till I’ve consumed everything to which no more bodily fluids can be added. 🙂

Haze

10% tops, sliding scale from there in depending on rounding, wind direction etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

Plenty of people do valuable work for minimum wage or not far off and never get tips. Why should people who carry a plate from a kitchen to a table be any different?

I’ve always wondered the same.

However, I prefer an easy life, so I normally leave a few quid anyway.

convert

Tipping is such a weird concept. The ‘rules’ as to why some jobs get funded partly by this and others not seem really random. And ‘good service’ is a pretty odd – is reasonably polite, reasonable swift and attentive table service and edible food actually ‘good’ or just what should be expected.

Having been harassed by a waiter in NY and Johanasberg (who had both been at best anonymous and the food ‘posh fast food’) for not making my tip sufficient by a few cents the whole concept of it being either voluntary or performance related seem long gone in other countries.

binners

10% as standard. More if the service was particularly good. There’s nothing more depressing than watching people with there phones out, totting up bills and tips.

And if you don’t tip, as some kind of boring ‘matter of principle’, then actually you’re just a stingy tight-arse! 😛

[video]http://youtu.be/Z-qV9wVGb38[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t tip.

Who are you, Mr Pink?

Bugga, beaten to it!

chakaping
    Free Member

And if you don’t tip, as some kind of boring ‘matter of principle’, then actually you’re just a stingy tight-arse!

…who’s not going to get asked out for dinner with his mates very often.

jam-bo

Was the waitress fit?

benji
    Free Member

Was the waitress tidy, if so pics 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

Always tip unless service is really poor. 10-15% normally. Seems a bit of an odd thing to argue about. Mrs Taxi is even more generous than me, if I tried to leave without tipping she’d do it herself.

bearnecessities

Seems a bit of an odd thing to argue about.

This is an internet forum, it’s perfect 😀

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Having been harassed by a waiter in NY and Johanasberg (who had both been at best anonymous and the food ‘posh fast food’) for not making my tip sufficient by a few cents the whole concept of it being either voluntary or performance related seem long gone in other countries.
    When I lived in France (which was a few years ago so this may not be the case now) I knew a few peple who worked in bars and cafes. Most of them got a pay slip showing they earned the minimum wage and their employer paid the tax and whatever based on that, but didn’t pay the employee any actual money. Tips were their wages which makes them a bit touchy about not getting a tip, regardless of how crap the service is.
    BTW, I tip if I feeel like and don’t if I don’t However, if the service is bad, I leave a tip of around 1p – it’s not that I forgot to tip, it’s just that’s what I think you’re worth

singletrackmind

We tend to round the bill up to nearest whole number easily divisable by the people who are there .

Say there are 7 of us .. The bill commes to £204.70 , That would probably go to £31 each so £217. A ‘tip’ of £12.30 or roughly 5%.

With national minimum wages now in force , and a reasonably busy pub or resaurant with people tipping automaticaly, that isnt an insignificant amount for an evenings work .

Bring out our food over a 5 min time window , or as once happened some kia-ora instead of a Kia Royal and you probably arent going to get anything at all.

DrJ

I tip about 10%. Apart from anything else, it seems like good insurance in case I left my camera, phone, or whatever in the restaurant.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nearly always tip but get annoyed when it’s added automatically, as I think they are hoping no one will notice and hence top twice.

Was out last night and saw the tip was added, so confirmed with the waitress who said yes it’s included but “only 10%” to which I replied you would have got 15% if it wasn’t included but reckon your boss is trying to pull a fast one, so 10% it is. The meal was nice but overpriced anyway.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If service and food are ABOVE expectations, I’ll tip a bit. Not stuck to 10%. Maybe £100 meal might get £5-6, if perfect. Tipping isn’t an obligation.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was tipping well over the odds last week in Goa. (Average price for a meal with drinks for 2 was about 1000 Rupees & often less) The service was generally excellent in most places & the food was excellent everywhere. I reckon I was tipping at about 20-30%.
    I don’t do that in the UK!

DrJ

you would have got 15% if it wasn’t included but reckon your boss is trying to pull a fast one, so 10% it is

So you punished the waitress for having a slimy boss?

ton

i never tip. price of meals is set in the menu.
    dont like it, get a job that pays more.

convert

Tipping a taxi driver is even more weird than tipping in a restaurant. Are we meant to be thankful for not being killed and the inane babble?

bones
    Free Member

I always tip at least 10%, even if the food is below par, as I don’t want to punish the waiting staff for something that’s not their fault, same for the chef if the food’s good but the service not. I also never complain if it’s bad for the reasons above, and because I don’t want a spunk steak. I just won’t go back, and will warn friends about the place.

Rorschach
    Free Member

(gets the notebook out and adds several names for reference purposes).

nealglover
    Free Member

Tipping a taxi driver is even more weird than tipping in a restaurant. Are we meant to be thankful for not being killed and the inane babble?

I never tip taxi drivers. Really can’t see why anyone does, it’s a bit strange.

Nobody tips bus drivers on the way off the bus.

Don’t use cash for taxis anymore now anyway as Uber does away with all that.

bearnecessities

ton – Member
    i never tip. price of meals is set in the menu.
    dont like it, get a job that pays more

Delightful 😀

footflaps

We have the same minor differences in opinion re tipping. I normally tip 15% unless the service was terrible.

Re USA, I was told that you tip:

10% for terrible service
    15% for OK
    20% if good.

Basically their wages are heavily dependant on tips, so everyone tips regardless – it’s just the norm.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Almost always tip 10-15%, in part because I know how grateful I was for tips when I worked in roles that attracted them. I just see it as part of the cost of a meal.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I stopped tipping taxi drivers ages ago. But that’s mostly because I’m usually travelling on business so I cannot claim the tip back. Since all my hair fell out i no longer need to tip the barber.

singletrackmind

I tip the boys at the Kebab shop. They nearly always give me a large portion or some chicken wings to eat while I wait for my shishkebeb to be grilled .
    Seems to be really appreciated and I only go in about twice a month .

Round up the barbers to the nearest quid as well .

footflaps

The wife cuts my hair, so no tips needed…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Tipping in Restuarnts – Wife Annoyed’ is closed to new replies.