• This topic has 267 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)
  • Tipping in Restuarnts – Wife Annoyed
  • Slogo
    Free Member

scrotums – Member
    Youngsters, eh?

well she’s been doing it long enough to of changed jobs if she wanted too. Isn’t a diploma in higher education classed as an entry level degree?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

sorry i have derailed the thread. nurses need a degree now (for you oldies). they have over the boarder here in wales for quite a while now

jools182
    Free Member

In answer to the original question, I tip unless the service is bad

I don’t get the 10% thing though. I know that is the accepted amount, but I don’t understand why they should get more or less depending on whether I want lobster or a pizza

BigDummy
    Free Member

I like to tip in restaurants. I realise this is an “if you can afford it” thing, but tipping generously in places you know you’re coming back to is a good investment.

And there is absolutely nothing to stop one tipping in other contexts. Not many people tip their lawyer, but a bottle of something when you’re pleased with the job helps my enthusiasm level next time you need something in a hurry. I presume the same applies to surgeons, bike mechanics etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t get tipping, no one gives me a tip or a tax free (dodge) bonus in my job

hora
    Free Member

I’d be in trouble in America. I ONLY tip if I think the food AND service were great. Why are you meekily paying a premium for average service or food?

Grow some balls.

CHB

My wife used to be a waitress. We nearly always tip, anywhere from a couple of quid upwards. Biggest annoyance is when we go out with friends. Our friends split down the middle on whether to tip…so at best we end up leaving half what we would consider fair. Sometimes our friends have taken us putting in an extra £5-10 as a reason for them to pay LESS in. So now I pay just the bill and leave a cash tip from wife and me as we are about to leave.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Grow some balls.

It’s easy enough to think you’re a big man when you’re not giving people a bit extra. But do you think the waiting staff are looking at you keeping your purse shut and thinking “there is a hombre with the vast cojones we like to see. We love and respect this man, because of his firm no tipping policy“?

I don’t know many waiters, but I’m very sceptical that’s how it works… 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Surely Hora – in lieu of a financial tip, you give anyone that’ll listen your opinion on something?

After all, you can’t put a price on education

I rarely tip in the UK

hora
    Free Member

I used to be a waiter. You can spot a good or bored one a mile away.

It is about growing balls. Partly admitting to yourself it wasn’t great but also why are you tipping then? A tip is a thank you, a reward, recognition.

Its not an embarrasement tax.

Do I complain? Yes, send a dish back. Its how the staff deal with an issue that decides the tip too. How they turn around a situation. Its customer facing isn’t it?

Funny though how we pay for a product elseehere with lesser margins (probably) to staff on a v.similar wage and we don’t bung them a fiver!

So British to endure a meal, mumble yes thanks it was great. Leave a tip and then outside say ‘never going back there again’!

Crackers.

Note – bigdummy. Read what I say, its called human interaction.

andermt
    Free Member

I used to work on a posh-ish restaurant back in the early 90’s and tipping at that time was not the norm, it was a good evening if we got a few extra quid.
    Nothing like what seems to be expected now.
    I tend to tip if it’s a group meal or occasionally if someone does actually do a good job. (Unlike the poor service in a restaurant on Sat when we waited ages to get served!)

Through work I have travelled quite a bit and one of the main reasons I hate visiting the US is the tipping situation. I really can’t get my head around giving someone a tip for poor service. Also the fact it seems everyone wants
    Japan is the opposite and it’s great, you get brilliant service and they don’t hassle you for a tip, on one of my 1st trips there we were chased by a waiter as we’d left a few yen because we rounded up the bill to the nearest note.
    In a bar I frequented regularly one night there were a bunch of Americans in there and the waitress asked me to explain to them not to give her a tip as they see it as bad form. Took me ages to talk them out of it as they couldn’t understand not giving tips as it is so ingrained in the US way.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Note – bigdummy. Read what I say, its called human interaction.

Perhaps you could PM me when you’ve finished editing it? 😉

hora
    Free Member

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So do you guys tip the checkout person in the supermarket? The guy who cleans your toilets at work? The guy in your lbs who sells you an inner tube? The bloke who empties the bins in the park? What about the person in the call centre who spends an hour sorting out your insurance claim?

I spend all day dealing with the public. I can easily spend an hour with a customer. I get people shaking my hand and telling me how amazing my service is. Do I ever get a tip? No chance, I don’t want it anyway, I do my job well because I take pride in it, not because I want someone chucking a handful of change at me.

Yes if there is a group of us we split it and round up because its easier and we all hate the “who ate what” mobile phone calculations but anything else is a no. Sorry.

convert

I wonder how many of the generous tippers above (15%+) are also ardent lowest price chasing internet shoppers and hard nosed hagglers in car showrooms etc.

I think the Americanism to tip by default is partly to blame for how it is here now – we used to be a culture where you tipped for the exceptional but have now entered the murky waters of sort of tipping by default but not everyone and not always. In economic models where the employee is almost entirely reliant on the tip for their take home it is kind of explainable but that is not necessarily the case here in the UK.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Look, generally, I enjoy going out for meals. I can’t recall the last time I felt the need to send something back. That is (perhaps) down to a conscious choice to enjoy myself, and it helps that I have the luxury of not worrying too much about cost. Me having a nice time (which I generally do) is down to a load of lowly-paid people running about all evening fetching things I fancy.

I expect the food to be good, and the service to be decent. My budget includes an extra 10-20% over and above the menu price, which by tradition goes to those running around, not to the owner. I’m not advocating tipping generously for shit food and surly service, but my expectation is that it will be “pleasant” or better and if that modest expectation is hit I’m happy to acknowledge, thank, reward or whatever. If I were a waiter, I assume I would sometimes have bad days when I didn’t really wish to be at work, and the idea that I might get paid markedly less on those days seems unfair. YMMV etc. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the generous tippers above (15%+) are also ardent lowest price chasing internet shoppers and hard nosed hagglers in car showrooms etc.

I’m not, if that’s a genuine question. I’ve got better things to do. Sell me what I need, I understand you need to make rent.

🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

So do you guys tip the checkout person in the supermarket? The guy who cleans your toilets at work? The guy in your lbs who sells you an inner tube? The bloke who empties the bins in the park? What about the person in the call centre who spends an hour sorting out your insurance claim?

Not really, no. Equally, I (hope I) don’t come at any of those people with too much a sense of entitlement about how they do their jobs, and try to be courteous and to thank them whatever.

I don’t really follow the argument that tipping in restaurants should be eliminated because tipping in supermarkets is rare, though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Genuine question why is it ok for a waiter to commit tax fraud, but for someone who tries to maximise tax avoidance who earns £100k wrong?

BigDummy
    Free Member

why is it ok for a waiter to commit tax fraud

It isn’t, and technically cash tips should go on their tax return, which they should technically be filing if they’ve got non-payroll income.

For a large proportion of waiting staff, we’re talking a few quid an hour over minimum wage. If the argument is “tipping waiters abets tax fraud, so you shouldn’t do it”, then I’ll take the risk personally. 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

I don’t tip either. Will round up the bill to the nearest note. I just don’t understand the whole tpping thing though??
    If your in a third world country where the waiter/waitress depends on tips, then fair enough, the tip is a genuine gesture.
    Tipping for the sake of it stinks of pity/embarrassment/egotism … Especially reading some of the reasons on here.

As for nurses. Yes it is s 3 year degree. And wiping a shitty arse is exactly the same if you got a degree or not.
    And it’s worth noting – a nurse is not allowed to accept tips.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I never ever tip in UK. We have a minimum wage structure and decent welfare system & tipping just encourages low wages.
    You’re not rewarding the service staff you’re sudbsidising the owners business, should be ashamed of yourselves…..

hora
    Free Member

The last time we had this topic a STW said his daughter could reach £80 in tips on a Sunday(?) day shift.

Its not hardwork- its warm/indoors, you get a meal and it pays a wage.

By comparison working in the kitchen IS hard. Carrying a tray, a drink and handing someone a pin machine isn’t really worthy of a decent return yet here in the UK we seem to think they are hard done by.

I earnt £30 for working 5pm-11pm and circa £30 (min). Thats back in the early 90’s. By comparison working in Woolies (mid 90’s onwards) the wage was £2.50 an hour at the time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re the US – serving staff are exempt from minimum wage legislation, so they get way below min wage. The tips are their actual salary. If you don’t tip you are docking their wages. It would be like going into the kitchen, taking $5 out of the chef’s wallet, waving it in their face and saying “that’s for being crap!”

You could argue for performance related pay but that would be a little rich for people who spend however many minutes a day at work posting on here. Plus these things are often not in the waiter’s control.

That waitress might be a struggling single mother trying to feed her kids, or someone from a disadvantaged background trying to put themselves through college for a better life.

Yes, it’s a stupid situation, and banning it might be a better idea but don’t make a political point at these people’s expense.

The situation in the UK is somewhat different.

hora
    Free Member

That waitress might be a struggling single mother trying to feed her kids, or someone from a disadvantaged background trying to put themselves through college for a better life.

Arent we all working to pay the bills and have a better life though? Going to restaurants is seen as a treat. No one eats in them 7 days a week.

The argument is rewarding good service AND food not simply adding a chunk as you think there might be an myth behind the story.

Try working in a warehouse- lots of people do that, cold, damp, lifting work yet they see no tips and many of them will be struggling parents or trying to pay bills.

Coming round full circle, waiting staff is part of the eating out process, the whole experience. They should add to and bind the experience of the ambience and food. As such you then reward them.

If the food was late (they should pick up on this and warn you), the food arrived cold (they should be mini-fighters for your corner), full of charm, and energy. Then wow- they’ve wowed you. Reward that person!

I love good customer service. In Booths supermarket the staff tend to be great and love to talk, I love having a laugh with people in the coffee shop etc etc. They are there to make you feel good and vice versa.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, so why not help each other out? If I can afford to eat out I’m doing ok; if someone is waiting tables they might well not be.

There’s a good chance it’s that person’s second job. Work in a factory all day then an hour at home and back out til 11pm. Because that’s often the only way.

bombjack
    Free Member

The argument is rewarding good service AND food.

Too right.

You’re not just paying the illustrated price for the food, you’re paying for it to be cooked and delivered to your table…

If the food is good, and the service is good, and you feel that the kitchen / service staff deserve financial praise then tip them.
    If the food is adequate then don’t bother, as a former (thankfully) employee and employer in the industry I’d rather customers told me where my staff were going wrong than leave an unjustified tip.

molgrips
    Free Member

Try working in a warehouse

Yes but that person will be making at least minimum wage. Then waiter will not.

I am talking about the US here. Your arguments make more sense in the UK.

hora
    Free Member

I’d rather customers told me where my staff were going wrong than leave an unjustified tip.

This allover- if you dont know why your business is slowing you dont know how to remedy it. Grumbling ‘yes it was lovely thanks’ but then never going back because it was ‘ok’ but not great kills restaurants.

just5minutes
    Free Member

isn’t the problem that a “few quid over the hourly wage” is actually anything up to £5K a year in income that isn’t taxed or declared?n When 20-25% of the total income is undeclared isn’t that as much of a moral issue as someone earning £40K but failing to declare the income from their buy to let?

DrJ

“there is a hombre with the vast cojones we like to see. We love and respect this man, because of his firm no tipping policy”?

Genuine LOL 🙂

hora
    Free Member

^genuine internet hardman posted that. We should carry on tipping even for bad service apparently as the waitress is having a bad day so we need to suck it up.

wrecker
    Free Member

I tip (most of the time), but TBH I don’t like it.
    It’s just a method for the facility owners not to pay their staff a decent wage. If we all stopped giving tips, maybe pay would improve for those in the industry?

molgrips
    Free Member

We should carry on tipping even for bad service apparently as the waitress is having a bad day

Yeah, this is what’s called ‘compassion’. It’s something that many humans have and is generally considered to be a good thing.

It’s just a method for the facility owners not to pay their staff a decent wage.

This is entirely correct, but trying to effect change by stopping tipping just hurts the most vulnerable. Like most free market/right wing/tory ideas.

jekkyl

Anyone else like to tipsily hide coins under plates and glasses so that the waiter/ress gets a few nice surprises clearing the table after you’ve left?

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone else like to tipsily hide coins under plates and glasses so that the waiter/ress gets a few nice surprises clearing the table after you’ve left?

I find notes work better for this.

Thought I’d never get rid of those rupees I’d had hanging round since 2003!

theotherjonv

I did have to ask for a tip to be removed from a bill once, at an all you can eat Pan-Asian banquet place. We were shown to our tables, brought a round of drinks, and thereafter it was serve yourself.

14 of us paying I think £13 a head, bill plus drinks came to about £240 and they then added a ‘discretionary’ service charge for parties of 6 or more of 12.5% = £30

£30 for a tray of drinks, and then serve yourself. I think not……

We left the guy who’d served us a tenner in his hand which he seemed fine about.

soundb0y
    Free Member

Will only tip if we are in a large party creating a bit of a hassle or if the service goes above and beyond.

Carrying my steak from the kitchen to my table and fetching me a drink is not exceptional service.

Will also leave a bit of shrapnel on the table if I dont want a pocket full of small change.

Mandatory tipping is getting ridiculous over here. Just another way for people to try and cash in. I’ve worked in a number of restraunts over the years and was never even allowed to accept tips.

As said before minimum wage, you don’t tip your bus driver etc etc.

Having spent the last few months in London, service charges also royally **** me off.

binners

Will also leave a bit of shrapnel on the table if I dont want a pocket full of small change.

I believe the official term for this is ‘Compassionate Conservatism’

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I tend to just round up to the nearest note, throw on table and run away. Not because I am loaded, but that I cannot stand people getting their phones out, arguing about how many drinks they have consumed etc.

So on average you tip £2.50? No wonder you run away.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Tipping in Restuarnts – Wife Annoyed’ is closed to new replies.