Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tinto Hill, south Lanarkshire
  • 2tyred

Planning to head down to Lanark on the train soon and go up and over Tinto hill, climbing the main path from the north and descending the quieter, steeper path to the south – has anyone done this and have any suggestions?

Looks ideal for days when the weather’s too bad up north, anyone familiar with it? Would be good to know if there’s a decent way to reach it off road from Lanark.

Cheers!

supertacky
    Free Member

Did exactly that last year. The descent down into Wiston is really good. Red shale at the top riding out into a cracking steep single track then across the field to Wiston. Went back via the road.

Good day out. But i’d leave it till the visability is better.

warton
    Free Member

Tinto brings back memories. Used to camp at wiston with my old youth club. Used to do overnight bivies on tinto

pottsathome
    Free Member

i went to primary school near tinto in a little village called lamington. Our one trip a year was to climb tinto and put a stone on the pile. nice walk now up the main path of the lanark to roberton road passed the enduro bike track

Mac
    Free Member

Hey

I come from Nemphlar – a village not too far away. For about the past five years me and two friends have ridden Tinto on boxing day to blow away the Christmas cobwebs. It takes a little over an hour to walk/hike-a-bike up then 15mins back down to the carpark and is awesome fun. I’ve never descended on the other side as we’ve had to get back to the car.

From Lanark train station your best bet is just to cycle out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s only a wee bit offroad(not great either, more intersting than the road though) and it will take you by the falls of clyde, and then onto some quieter roads. I don’t think there is a way to it totally off road. But this will keep you off the main road, adds more distance obviously. It’s also hillier this way, the road is an easy scoot along.

As for tinto hill itself, I’ve only done the main path which is great, I suspect the south path may be too steep, the path heading to the east looks doable though, as I say haven’t done either, just the up and down the main path a few times(bottom half is much better than the top.) So the south path may well be doable.

seosamh77
    Free Member

haha just clocked this was 3 months old! 😀 d’oh!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tinto Hill, south Lanarkshire’ is closed to new replies.