Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy… anyone else been, or going, or excited?
  • Markie
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to seeing it way more than any other film in ages… and who better to do spy atmospheric than Tomas Alfredson of Let the Right One In fame? Ace!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aco15ScXCwA[/video]

philconsequence
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

I’m looking forward to seeing it way more than any other film in ages

same!

gary oldman playing the lead instead of a supporting character is enough to make me pay to see it in the cinema.

binners

It looks brilliant. I went on Monday night due to reading the wrong weeks cinema listings. It wasn’t on. D’oh! I’ll try again this week

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

I’m very excited about this film, Gary Oldman should be good in the Alec Guinness role

deluded
    Free Member

It does look excellent and a fine exhibit for the plethora of British acting talent. Might go Sunday whilst my wife is at work.

Gary Oldman is fantastic in whatever he’s in and probably worth the admission fee alone.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i have my doubts about it topping the original, squeezing so much into such a short medium and out smileying Guinness seems a tough task. Mind you prob worth going to see if they can

Klunk
    Free Member

just fired up the original on the other screen, always worth a watch, shame bbc never made the honourable schoolboy. Quite a stella cast in the new one.

surfer
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

I cant wait!

I go to the cinema maybe once every two years. This is the most eagerly awaited film for me for years!

fisha
    Free Member

I sooooo want to see it as well. As soon as I saw the adverts for it, I turned to the wife and said we are going to see it.

Pity I have to wait until monday as i’m nightshift over the weekend.

I also really enjoyed the radio adaptations of le carre’s novels that were on last year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I went to see it yesterday. It’s a stunning film. It’s great to see a spy film where the most advanced piece of technology is a telex 🙂

Oldman as Smilie is awesome. I could go on, but the cast is superb – as somebody said above, a plethora of talent. It demands your close attention from the very start though.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Went in concerned, as its such a long story and I thought ‘how can you get all that into two hours’

Couple of minor changes to the story and the order of events, that worked very well for the film, but might irk those who’ve read the book a few times (if anything, a couple of the film ideas worked slightly better than the original ones)

Oldman really, really was spot on, better than I expected him to be

I was very impressed with the actress they’d chosen for Connie Sachs, which was a surprise to me, and I though she was perfect.

great to see a film that didn’t rely on explosions and CGI

Overall, bloody wonderful – and I hope they go on to do the series

philconsequence
    Free Member

excited! :mrgreen:

worth the cash to see it on a big screen?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good films are always better on a big screen Philly x

staralfur
    Free Member

Personally I was very disappointed with it. Not knowing anything about the original may have been the problem, but it was just tooooo slow and didn’t hold my attention no matter how much i tried to like it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, it ain’t the Bourne Identity.

It’s years since I read Le Carré – so took me about 15-20 mins to settle down to the pace of it.

As Zulu says above, I hope they do more of them. I could watch Oldman and Smilie in many more films.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

+1

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

EDIT to above.

Oldman AS[/i] Smilie! 🙂

Bregante

Best film I’ve seen this year. Really, really enjoyed it.

As we were leaving the cinema I heard a woman in her 20’s say to her boyfriend “I didn’t get it. So was (insert name) a spy or not?”.

Duggan

I watched it on friday after having had 4 pints so basically needed a p*ss throughout the whole film but was sat right in the middle of the row.

Enjoyed it but I must admit I could do with another watch to figure out what the heck was going on. I’ll pretend that it’s because I had 4 pints and not because I’m simple.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

By the way – for less than a fiver:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seeing it again is not a bad idea. Especially as the varying timeline at the beginning would then be much clearer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m going to see it this week. I’ve read the book and watched the original BBC version which was about 3.5 hours long and even at that length, there was so much of the back story they had to remove and that made it hard to follow if you hadn’t read the book.

I think was the crucial telling of Ricky Tarr’s story as to how they come to know there is a mole in the Circus in the first place was the biggest ommission from the BBC part so it will be interesting to see how the film manages this.

I’ve read a few of Le Carre’s other books and then watched the film/TV versions of them and is quite often the case that the film versions struggle to get everything across but they’re always highly watchable and are worth watching more than once.

philconsequence
    Free Member

thank you zulu 😀 just ordered thanks to your kindly PSA.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, Oldman was interviewed by Mayo and Kermode on Friday. Available as ListenAgain or podcast. Good interview too.

noteeth
    Free Member

Am greatly looking forward to this.

”I don’t watch Spooks. It’s crap.”

Bravo Sir – well said.

bol

Going tonight. Can’t wait. I’ve not looked forward to a film like I am now in years. Not sure whether there is a nostalgia element? I remember seeing bits of the first BBC run with my dad when I was about 6 and thinking it was very cool, but not understanding much.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d suggest reading the book. And then Graham Greene’s “The Human Factor”.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was definitely a problem with people going to the cinema that hadn’t been in years last night at The Watershed – full of muppets who thought they were the only ones there – yes you floppy haired skinny jeans wearing **** who had to rattle his **** sweet paper every five minutes…sitting beside your stupid **** of a mate who felt the need to keep me alert by kicking the back of my seat every so often…I’m talking about you.

Honestly, there needs to be a separate viewing for non-regulars 😐

noteeth
    Free Member

There was definitely a problem with people going to the cinema that hadn’t been in years

I go to the cinema maybe once every two years

I’m just saying, like. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I was thinking the long legged seat kicker might be someone like Stoner. He’s generally pretty inconsiderate too… 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

Yes & he’s also pretty tall – probably enjoys kicking the person in front, whilst blocking the view of anybody sat behind him.

Terrible. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds just like him. Stick him in the back row of the non-regulars’ room.

bol

The bloke sitting next to me vomited all over himself tonight. Unfortunately he was with me, so we had to leave half way through. Actually he had a really nasty turn, and I had to get him home. A good excuse for me to go back and watch the first half for a second time mind.

Apologies for the overwhelming stench of sick if you were sitting near us at cinema city.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I vomited at the cinema on thursday night, luckily I made it to the cinema

jester
    Free Member

Mrs Jester and I went on Saturday and loved it!

fisha
    Free Member

I went last night. I enjoyed it, but thought it was a little too slow in some places.

rOcKeTdOg

going tonight £2.95 a ticket special offer 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

where the devil does cinema tickets for that price? 😀

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

but thought it was a little too slow in some places

But isn’t that really just a symptom of le Carre’s books anyway. The film looks interesting and worth seeing but having read The Constant Gardener (not seen the film) I can’t say I am in any rush to read any more of his books. All seemed a bit slow and ploddy and ultimately not an awful lot to get excited about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy… anyone else been, or going, or excited?’ is closed to new replies.