Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldeir, Spy.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Absorbing. Oldman is awesome and the seventies detail is good, but – did they have “sleeping policemen” in 1973?

I know for a fact they didn’t have those enormous container-hauling monster cranes in the docks…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Great film but the plot went straight over my head, TBH.

rickon
    Free Member

Personally, I found it boring, overly long and convoluted – I didn’t find it confusing, just without purpose. The plot was very simple, but was told in a meandering, long-winded and at times completely pointless manner.

The characters were bland, and I felt had no connection with the audience.

A critics film, and a film lovers disaster….

I should caveat this with saying that I like explosions.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

had no connection with the audience me.

rickon
    Free Member

had no connection with the audience me.

Me and my missus were the audience at the time we watched it.

footflaps

I really like it, a much slower pace than most modern films, but great acting and superb attention to detail on recreating the era.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can confirm that the seventies was mostly tatty, in different shades of brown and very slow.

’til 1977, that is… “This is a song for fat councillors”….

rwc03
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent, the drama was all in the acting and interaction between the characters. I’d love to see more films like this in the cinema, instead of robots making poor innuendoes on screen for two and a half bloody hours.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If the plot went over you, then get the book, and it will call come together.

IHN

Personally, I found it boring, overly long and convoluted – I didn’t find it confusing, just without purpose. The plot was very simple, but was told in a meandering, long-winded and at times completely pointless manner.

I thought much the same about the book. I may still watch the film though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair, it’s not my sort of thing. Not the sort of book I’d read or film I’d go to see. I went with some friends who do like that sort of stuff, and it’s always worth seeing a film with Gary Oldman in it, who can comfortably out act around 99% of all other actors, living or dead, in his sleep. 🙂

speaker2animals

I really enjoyed it though even though I consider myself intelligent and able to follow complex books and films it did certainly make me work for it.

“and a film lovers disaster….” are you sure. A disaster for you who think of yourself as a film lover and you may well be, but a VERY sweeping statement.

You wouldn’t expect that on STW, now would you?

I’d love to see more like this. Or I should say I’d like to see Hollywood do more like this.

The look of the film was fantastic. Made the country look like some communist backwater (style wise). Do you really expect them to dig up sleeping policemen/knock down gantry cranes? Did it really spoil it? TBH I must admit “bloopers” have to be pretty major for me to notice without them being pointed out. I know these days it could be CGI’d out but honestly, why bother?

Solo
    Free Member

I should caveat this with saying that I like explosions.

Excellent !.
    😀

Although I do then wonder how you found yourself asking for two tickets to watch TTSP.

Carry on.

sadmadalan

Watch the BBC TV series with Alec Guinness. That is slow, nothing appear to happen for episodes.

jon1973
    Free Member

Solo
    Free Member

nothing appear to happen for episodes.

I think you’ll find that was the Cold war

Everyone just stayed home and looked out the window.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Made the country look like some communist backwater

😆

dogbert
    Free Member

watched half of it, didn’t like it, seemed like nothing was happening or likely to happen other that some guy getting/not getting shot at the beginning.

Did Godzilla turn up in he second half and kick the shit out of a 300 foot effigy of Jay Leno riding a razor scooter while shape shifting fence posts rained menstrual blood from their tear ducts – If not the second half was as shit as the first (skulks off to watch Transformers)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aF5c_K7YZhA[/video]

mcboo
    Free Member

I loved it, but then I really enjoyed the TV series, which gets you a head start when following the plot.

Whisper it, but isnt it nice when film makers assume some grey matter between the ears of audience members?

z1ppy

Zulu-Eleven – Member

Friend was telling us that she’s read the books, listened to the audiobook & seen the TV series… Yet she failed to spot the traitor….She still enjoyed it though

Nick

The book is a work of art, the BBC series also, the film is very good and certainly doesn’t spoil it.

The layers of complexity and deception, concieved by “Karla” and inflicted on the Circus is brilliant and very satisfying once you have unravelled it all.

Mounty_73

We watched it last night, but I was tired….who or what was Karla?

iridebikes
    Free Member

i thought it was realy boring to be honest, but then i like films like crank, and blades of glory…

rOcKeTdOg

Whisper it, but isnt it nice when film makers assume some grey matter between the ears of audience members?

this

i thought it was great, well acted and the period detail excellent.i like the fact that there are minutes when no one says anything and you have to think for yourself, i know some are incapable of this! 😉

iridebikes
    Free Member

haha, some of you lot really are a bit up yourselfs… I knew exactly what was going on, it doesnt change the fact is was boring, dull, and oh did i say? Boring

Nick

yeah yeah, of course you did

fervouredimage
    Free Member

On your knees everyone for our self proclaimed intellects.

rOcKeTdOg

iridebikes – Member
    haha, some of you lot really are a bit up yourselfs… I knew exactly what was going on, it doesnt change the fact is was boring, dull, and oh did i say? Boring

fervouredimage – Member
    On your knees everyone for our self proclaimed intellects.

in every society there are the haves and the have nots, we wouldn’t exist without the Cannon Fodder, cheers for stepping up to that particular plate

ChrisE
    Free Member

It’s being shown in our village hall in a couple of weeks. Will be going. Sounds worth going to,

C

chrisdw
    Free Member

I really have no interest in watching it! I may watch it if the opportunity to borrow a DVD comes up. But It just looks like a dull film with a boring pile of characters.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Hmm… for me the story drivvled on too long – although it was good seeing the webs they weaved & how it all linked up…

IanMunro
    Free Member

We watched it last night, but I was tired….who or what was Karla?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_(fictional_character)

😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tinker, Tailor, Soldeir, Spy.’ is closed to new replies.