Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Time Z control padals – OK for use with non-SPDs ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

I’m fully ATAC’d up, but I’d like the pedals on my ‘local’ bike to be usable with ordinary shoes for nipping up to shops etc.

Are the Z controls or the Z Freerides the way to go ?

Thanks

bedmaker

I wouldn’t bother, I have both and normal shoes still slide off the binder bars.

Simon

Nipping to the shops will be fine.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yeah, nipping to the shops should be fine with Z-Controls, but absolutely nothing more.

Stu_N

Aye, the clip in mechanism is proud of the body of the pedal on the Z-series; won’t really work with flat-soled shoes in the way platform Shimano SPD pedals do.

Depends how far away your shops are, really…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have some on my SS and it is fine for about a mile or two[ better with a firm sole tbh]
    I use it with whatever shoes I am wearing to do the school run or to nip to the shops etc.
    I would not want to do big mileage like this though but they perform better than a normal time pedal as a flat.

I have some for sale – you can borrow them if you wish to see if they are suitable for purpose and return if you dont want them as they are expensive new- my e-amil is in profile as your is not.

flap_jack
    Free Member

thanks for the offer, but the ride to shops etc is 3 or 4 miles each way. I was hoping for something like the shimanos, but clearly this isn’t it. Clattering around the supermarket will continue…

Simon

If it’s 3 to 4 miles I’ll take back my previous comment!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How do you plan to ride the 3-4 miles? Is it flat, and bimbly or full of teh gnarrrrr?

If the former, you’ll be fine. If the latter, you need a full face and body armour at least.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would still not fully rule them out depending on terrain not sure what the furthest is I have done in them -you can still borrow if you want to try
    Only other suggestion is to get some cleats and bolt them to a flat sheet of thickish steel and use these as some form of flat platform insert?
    Wont be pretty but should work well …tempted to knock up a set for you tbh but I am busy for the net few weeks and dont have any spare cleats

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junky, what about some Winwood inserts?

Junkyard
    Free Member

way to pretty and purpose built and just no where near agricultural 😉 …tart
    yes what flash said – did not know they did them tbh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Time Z control padals – OK for use with non-SPDs ?’ is closed to new replies.