Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Time for another Whisky
  • bobster
    Free Member

Time to try something different, currently enjoying Singleton, Glenmorangie, Old Pultney and Balvenie.

Quite tempted by Isle of Jura – any good?

Any recommendations?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Middleton.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Caol Ila.

It's an Islay malt but without the medicinal qualities of the likes of Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Highland Park from Orkney.

Talisker from Skye (a long-time favourite)

stumpyjon

Quite like a drop of Edradour in my glass personally. Distilled in a little distillary just outside Pitlochry by a team of four.

Bit difficult to get hold of though, only places I know you can get it is at the distillery, house of lords (they do a special one only for them), Selfridges in London (not Manchester) and bizarrely Byrne's wine shop in Clitheroe (although it is like walking into a Harry Potter set going in there).

Hmm may have to have a glass to chase down the Buds (so much for me only drinking £ 2 a week as I claimed in the other thread).

lister

Jura is filth in a bad way…I have a bottle of the stuff with half a dram missing and it's been like that for 3 years. Just waiting for someone I don't like to offer them some…

Good stuff…Talisker (the older the better though the 10 yr old is lovely) OR Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (which is a port wood finish and very moreish).

chakaping
    Free Member

Talisker is on cheap at Tesco now, at my local anyway.

Do you know where to get Middleton much under £100 a bottle MrNutt? I want some.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Why not go Irish?
    Bushmills blackbush is very good and some of their single malts are incredibly good, particularly the 1608.

chakaping
    Free Member

I second Stumpyjon on Edradour. Fell in love with it on holiday in Pitlochry and it's been a hell of a job to find any since.

MrNutt
    Free Member

magnum wine in old town (swindon) perhaps if I asked nicely!

MrGreedy

Time for a new bottle in my house too. Asda have Bruichladdich on offer at the moment, was also tempted by Yamazaki (Japanese single malt) which is on special in Tesco for the next couple of weeks.

stumpyjon

chakaping – after I finished my first bottle bought at the distillery my wife spent ages searching for another. Then one day walking around Clitheroe at lunchtime (I work in Clitheroe) there it was sat in the shop window. Straight in I went.

AlasdairMc

I'm going through Dalwhinnie 15, a Macallan Cask Strength and Talisker at the moment, all highly recommended.

My special occasion whiskies are another cask strength Macallan (a single cask I bought years ago) and Highland Park 16. Yum yum.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Lister – where do you live, and may I come round to visit soon?
    You don't have to like me. In fact you can give me the bottle to make me go away!
    The Jura has always been one I rather enjoyed, but each to their own.

As for my tipple this evening, I'm going for a rum-based hot toddy.

Cheers

househusband

Hmm… might have to source some of this Hobbit-sounding Edradour for Christmas…

white101

Hot toddy's here as well, cold getting me down…..never tried a rum one? I think there is a half bottle in the cupboard here somewhere….oh yes there is, excellent time for something new!!
    Medicinal & educational STW never fails

RichPenny
    Free Member

1 rum hot chocolate coming up 🙂

Garry_Lager

Send for the phenols! Ardbeg 10 yo – £29 from Sainsburys. Not too many whiskys of this quality available for less than 30 quid.

AlasdairMc

Andy – Royal Mile Whiskies do Edradour.

Alasdair

djglover
    Free Member

Jura is awful, I have one that I cannot bare to even smell

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I'm a big fan of Islay malts. Lovely seaweedy smokiness. Bowmore – my favourite without question. Also really like Caol Ila and Ardbeg.

If you've not read it would recommend Iain Bank's book on whisky, Raw Spirit .

matthewjb
    Free Member

Aberlour A'bunadh is great.

Not too smoky but great depths of flavour.

AlasdairMc

Worst whisky I've ever had is Glen Moray. Avoid.

Talisker on the other hand is going down very nicely just now…

tony_m
    Free Member

Another vote for Ardbeg 10y-o. I'm also currently enjoying a bottle of Springbank 10y-o.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Balvenie Double Wood 12 Year Old Single Malt, a bit pricy but a very nice treat.

bigsi
    Free Member

Bobster i don't care what you buy as long as you bring it out with you this Tuesday night 😆

However, if it were me i would buy Bruchladich (sp) it's my fave 😉

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Byrne's wine shop in Clitheroe (although it is like walking into a Harry Potter set going in there).

What an excellent shop this is. The Byrne's seem to be able to source anything. I usually get my Christmas presents from there. Its like stepping back in time going in there 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Theres a cracking whiskey shop in Bakewell too!

rj
    Free Member

Without a shadow of doubt Bunnahabhain.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have relatives in Clitheroe.

Time to start dropping Xmas present hints!

chewkw
    Free Member

Just at the right time when I want to buy a bottle of whisky (may be two) for myself.

This all started when I had flu last week and in need of a cure so I ended up dowing my small bottle of Gragganmore 12 yr old with honey and hot water. It was a 200ml bottle that I got free when I bought 3 bottles of whisky (think they were Dalwhinnie 15yo, Bruichladdich limited edition and Connemara) as present last year for friends. They told me they were good but I never tasted them.

So how about Dalwhinnie 15 year old? I can get discount for this as I got some vouchers.

From the above suggestion it sounds like the order of preference is:

1) Edradour
    2) Talisker
    3) Ardbeg
    4) Caol lla

Any Irish whisky to recommend? Jemeson 12 or 18 yr old?

d;-)

devs
    Free Member

Worst whisky I've ever had is Glen Moray. Avoid.

Nae wonder, it floods every few years now! Never tried it despite it being my closest distillery. No Macallan in the OPs list, it's a must have. BenRomach Organic is the one everyone is raving about at the moment. My fave this week is Balvenie but I also like Blair Atholl. Glenlivet is nice too but I have to be in the mood for those west coast peaty things like Bowmore and Laphroaig. My mole in Gordon & Macphail's brought me a bottle of Project B10YO from Benromach last week and that is dangerously drinkable.

Shack
    Free Member

Never forget my first trip around Byrne's, the Harry Potter analogy is spot on. I wondered how far those basements would go on for. When I was there they didnt even have a till, everything was written down long hand on a till roll then added up. Great selection of scotch though.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I have bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Rubain, bought on special offer at Tesco.
    I love it – Glenmorangie (ok whiskey but not something I would normally go for) but finished port wood casks, giving a very mellow chocolate finish
    Linky but Tesco were in the low £20's

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've had one fairly good bottle of Jura 10yo and then the second one was not good at all so I mix it with ginger beer and there is still some left (it's really not good). So not recommending it.

I always recommend any Macallan to anyone – very reliable and lovely sherry-finish spirits to suit most palates.

Now I'm off to pour a large Ardbeg 10yo …

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Time for another Whisky’ is closed to new replies.