Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tiling…yes boring but…
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’m doing a bath splashback.
    I need white grout and adhesive – enough for 60-odd Metro tiles so not loads – must be anti-mould and waterproof.

There’s so much choice I’m a bit bewildered by it all if I’m honest! Need to get it today so usual warehouses only apply. I don’t want to do it cheaply but not spend a fortune either – what have you used that’s good ❓

Cheers

nealglover
    Free Member

Go to to an actual tile shop and ask.

But to be honest, anything will do the job as long as you buy something that says “bathroom/waterproof/anti mould” etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As you say loads of choice! Personally I’d use a separate basic adhesive (standard fare) then use a (bit more cash) quality grout. As a note on internal corners I’d also use a quality white silicone over grout because it eventually cracks over time.

brakes
    Free Member

there is quite a bit of difference in grouts, but in my experience (a bathroom of ~1,000 tiles plus kitchen and other bathroom bits and bobs – so not a massive amount) the more expensive stuff is easier to work with and for that reason gives better results rather than the finish or its ability to stick tiles to the wall.
    Pre-mixed stuff tends to give you more time to apply it, the powdered stuff is cheaper but goes off a lot quicker.

alanl
    Free Member

A tub of any ‘usual’ tile cement. Bal Greenstar is my usual, I pay £7ish, retail is around £15 I think.
    Then use a good quality grout. Bal or Mapei are both good. That’ll be £10+.

Dont use the combined cement/grout, as it is not great at either. Too fine for cement, and too rough for grout.

alanl
    Free Member

Also, where are you? I’ve probably got enough here for you.
    Alan.

alanl
    Free Member

Thinking about it, if you want to go to Topps, use my account details, and you’ll get the trade price.
    I think you have my number, if not follow up.

seadog101

‘Anti Mould Grout’ is a lie. Or maybe I’m doing it wrong… 🙁

paulevans
    Free Member

Whilst we’re focusing on tiling here’s a question for you – recently bought a new house and have noticed that some of the wall tiles in the shower are a little loose – if you push them you can see some movement. Also, some of the grout has cracked and I’m concerned about water getting behind the tiles. Is it possible to remove and re-affix/regrout tiles? I have found a couple of spares in the garage.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Sorry for thread hijack.. but can you tile on top of existing tiles? Wanting to change tiles on kitchen floor but don’t want to lift existing ones. ?

brakes
    Free Member

as long as the existing tiles are still secure.
    you might want to wash them with that orange soap stuff, and score them so the adhesive has something to grip on to.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks peeps.

Wickes came good – anti mould adhesive and a separate anti mould white grout.
    Not got round to the grouting yet but the tiles have been up for 7 hrs, are secure and haven’t fallen off yet!

Thanks for the offer Alan but sorted now cheers…you biking this Weds? 7 at the pub.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lol at tiling on tiles.

We ripped tiles out my mates bathroom. Followed by the tiles under and the tiles under. Previous owner was a right lazy bast.

Gained about 3 inches to the room

Wy dont you want to lift ? Do you think its hard ? It really isnt.

brakes
    Free Member

if the tiles are directly on plaster board or old plaster, pulling the tiles off means pulling bits of the wall off too.
    it’s not about being lazy. it’s about not wanting to have to re-plaster the wall.

Inbred456
    Free Member

All I can add is adhesive for the tiles and grout to finish, the combined stuff is garbage in my humble opinion. You can tile on tiles but you have to break the glaze on the tile. I would personally always remove the old tiles so I could check the integrity of the walls I’m tiling on to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not in my experiance – but if your walls are **** and the tiles are holding it together then yeah leave them on – one bodge to hide another. one more surprise for the next owner i guess.

plaster and lathe here and removing the tiles did less damage than removing wallpaper through the rest of the house.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also – if his floors are plasterboarded – hes doing it wrong.

a hammer to break up the first tile – then a shovel under them to scrape the rest up – unless its been laid on ply in which case you just need to get under the ply 😀 and prize that up. – both have been done in the past with relitive ease – we even managed to lift one floor in my parents conservatory by grinding out the grout – smashing the end tile and lifted and relaid the SAME tiles back down

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tiling…yes boring but…’ is closed to new replies.