Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tickly Coughs … How do you beat them?
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

So I’ve had the mother of all dry tickly coughs for the last week, can’t remember having had a cough so bad and it still hasn’t broken yet… really annoying, but it doesn’t bother me much more than that… as I don’t believe there’s much you can do about it… A small dose of MTFU and a bit of Vix on the chest at night and that’s about it for me.

However

Now my little girl (4) has got it and although she more like me, rather than her “I’m ill, I’m ill, help me” mother, and doesn’t complain… she was getting double upset last night when the coughing fits were disturbing her sleep.

So do you guys have any cures, remedies or old wives tales for helping with dry tickly coughs. Or am I right and there’s not much the wife and I can do to help her? … Have been given her Tixylix, for what it’s worth…. Any tips/experience with helping sooth a child with a bad cough, at night specifically.

Thanks in advance Ladies n Gents

chipsngravy
    Free Member

manuka honey

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My wee one had the same, I suppose anything sticky would work, but a wee teaspoon of calpol before bed did the trick. No water afterwards, just washes it down their throat.

scaredypants

heroin is an excellent cough suppressant

manuka honey makes toast nicer

give her lots of fluids, maybe steam inhalation, calpol/nurofen, and heroin

you probably ought to stay up & check she’s still breathing, so it’s toast & honey for you

zippykona

That Corvonia Night Time makes sure you get a good cough free kip.
    Ps I have had the cough for nearly 3 weeks now.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Antihistamines.

I had a nasty cold about 3 years ago which left me with this tickly cough for weeks after. It became so infuriating I went to my doctor (I was convinced I would have the cough for the rest of my days!!). He told me to buy some over the counter anti-allergy tablets which would calm my lungs sensitivity.

Got some, took one a day for 4 days. Cough gone.

PS. You’ll have to check regarding children taking antihistamines though. I’m sure there is a child friendly version.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

someone told me vicks on your feet with socks on I thought they were taking the piss google it! I wouldn’t try it as socks in bed is wrong.

wwaswas

she was getting double upset last night when the coughing fits were disturbing her sleep

my wife’s like that when I have a cough.

So I’m always sent to sleep in the spare room so she can’t hear me.

Maybe you could adopt a similar approach with your kid?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Fimage … Just had a blast on the nasal antihis, that been left in my desk since the summer… Ta

Calpol/nurofen… check
    Heroin … outta needles, damn
    Vix on feet…. classic OWT

Any more ?

instanthit
    Free Member

Sootha cough medicine, no additives available in boots or health food shops.
    If you want to go long term and prevent snot snots (the term in our house for colds) then you could try colloidal silver which is a natural occurring antibiotic, just waiting for my delivery today.
    Although the heroin sounds effective I’m thinking the side effects might be a little on the tough side for a 4 year old!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tickly Coughs … How do you beat them?’ is closed to new replies.