Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 135 x 12 axle question
  • dan45a
    Free Member

Hi, looking for some advice….If I buy a wheelset with a 135 x 12mm rear axle will it fit a 2011 orange Alpine 160 with Maxle?

But will I also be able to use that rear wheel on my Yeti currentlty running 135 rear QR if a buy a bolt through axle like this http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=405

fuzzhead
    Free Member

135 x 12 – this will fit an Alpine with a Maxle.
    As for running a 135 x 9 QR axle, you’ll need to buy a hub that can switch between the two (Hope Pro 2 etc) and buy the relevant adaptors.

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks Fuzzhead, so if the new rear wheel is a 135×12 hub it will fit both bikes (maxle on alpine and using a 12mm axle on yeti)?

riski4130
    Free Member

Maxle & Hope hub = tears

qtip

You won’t be able to switch between the two unless you have a hub which is convertible like the Hope Pro II. You can’t just use a 12mm axle in QR dropouts (9mm). Even if you do have such a hub, it’s not a straightforward swap as you have to remove the axle and change one of the bearings (for the Pro II), which is not a particularly quick job. It’s the sort of thing you wouldn’t want to do on anything approaching a regular basis.

@riski4130:
    Maxle Lite & Hope hub = tears
    Old style Maxle with no dip in the middle & Hope hub = no tears
    (at least in my experience)

creamegg
    Free Member

Maxle and Hope hub = tears new maxle type free of charge and new hope hub insides free of charge

Mintyjim

Dan45a, you could buy my brand new wheelset – Nukeproof hubs and 2013 Mavic XM719 rims, 135x12mm rear and 15mm front.

Then you get one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34779

which slides through the rear axle and turns it into a QR for the Yeti!

Job’s a good ‘un. That superstar link won’t allow you to use a 12mm rear hub in a QR frame, it’s essentially a replacement axle for bolt thru’ only.

Gee76
    Free Member

You’ll need to get the 12mm chip kit for the yeti, (qr dropouts are only 10mm) which is 142mm spacing. Means another set of adaptors for the hub and you need a dt or Shimano axle depending on which chip kit you can get hold of.

dgb1
    Free Member

Beaten to it by Gee76.

The 12mm chip dropouts on the Yeti convert it to a 142mm spacing so the 135mm won’t work. If you have a convertible-type hub (i.e. Hope or DT) you should be able to swap the end caps to get it to the 142mm spacing to work.

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. suppose i’m just looking for the easist way to swap the wheels between the 2 bikes.

This chip system sounds good, I did think of fitting this when building the yeti but didnt want to change my wheels/hubs. This could be perfect opportunity.

Or as Mintyjim says the 12mm axle that slides in for qr may be easiest?

dan45a
    Free Member

As Mintyjimb sugests using one of these seems to be the easiest way for my solution:-
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34779

Anyone got any expieriences of using these conversions kits? Is it reliable?

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those NukeProof axles which I have used to swap my Hope Pro2 EVO wheels between my bikes (one QR one 12×135). The only problems with it are that the little sections on the end which fit in the dropouts are pretty small so it doesn’t look that secure (I’m sure it’s fine), and that it’s made of steel so weighs nearly half as much as the whole rear hub (200g).

To be honest I’ve never used it other than for popping a wheel in to check the set up or for storing a wheel in the frame. For riding I’d much rather take the cassette off and swap the proper end caps over rather than carry around that much excess weight… yes it’s weight weenie but 25g vs 200g… and considering the efforts we make elsewhere leaving that in there is a little daft.

My advise – buy the proper adapters and a chain whip and cassette remover.

Side note – 12×135 is fine with a Hope Pro2 EVO hub… but, if your hubs not EVO the axle may break (and I have read of EVO’s breaking but I’ve yet to do/see it myself and I broke many non EVO’s).

Northwind

creamegg – Member

Maxle and Hope hub = tears new maxle type free of charge and new hope hub insides free of charge

I’ve had 2 new axles but no new internals 🙁 They kindly offered to sell me a set last time though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘135 x 12 axle question’ is closed to new replies.