Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Ti-curious
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I'm thinking of selling various bits & pieces to fund a new hardtail, and I think it's time to scratch that Ti itch. I'm not really up to date on what the options are out there these days, so would appreciate any ideas. My current hardtail is an original Prince Albert, which I really like, but is more than I need in a hardtail (got other bikes for bigger stuff). I'd still like something that can cope with 120-140mm forks though. Any thoughts…show me yours etc. Cheers!

Ti29er
    Free Member

(got other bikes for bigger stuff).

The OnOne Ti29er with 100mm Fox forks.
    When it gets really rocky then I swap her out to my full sus'.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers. I guess I'm just not a fan of the head-down racey geometry of a short-travel hardtail, although perhaps I should have another try as I haven't ridden on in a while. I'm also a bit of a short-arse for a 29'er…didn't really get along with the demo 29'er I rode a while back.

Daffy

Cove Hummer – Outstanding bike.

qwerty
    Free Member

Lynskey Ridgeline LT ?

its caught my eye – i'd be interested to hear reviews

nickc

new Hummer is an odd(ish) shape try before buying. Either that or the Ti 456.

andrewh
    Free Member

The OnOne Ti29er with 100mm Fox forks.
    When it gets really rocky then I swap her out to my full sus'

Wish I could do that, I have to stick with whichever bike I started the ride with. How do you manage logisticaly?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

really loving my 456 ti here but, honestly, I don't think its worth 7 times that of a steel one, financially. Its better yes but not that much better, perhaps 30% better? who knows. Diminishing returns.

Sadly though Ti is an itch that needs to be scratched so go for it. You won't regret it at all, despite what I say above.

I know I don't regret buying mine.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Im having the same Ti itchy thing for no reason other than I havent had a new bike in a while and Ive never done Ti before

The thing is Im trying to justify the cost over steel/aluminium

And so Id be interested to hear your reasons for justifying Ti

Seriously, Im not taking the mickey, why do you want Ti over steel/alu?

🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have my butler bring one along in the 'copter; of course.
    Or if I know where I'm going (say Snowdon and not Cannock Chase), then I can make these decisions for myself, although Gieves does know best!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Budget Ti – Pipedream Sirius Ti? £700 and rated for 130mm forks. Some really nice pictures on their website.

My next bike is likely to be a ti ht, always wanted one and it'll happen sooner or later. (Well, once the finishing touches are applied to the current steel framed ss work in process and the LT alu frame I've just ordered has been built up…)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Im having the same Ti itchy thing for no reason other than I havent had a new bike in a while and Ive never done Ti before

Fair question, but I have a rubbish answer…I've just always lusted after a Ti frame, just coz they're, well, lovely aren't they? I wish I could justify it over a perfectly nice steel frame, but I can't in any way. Won't stop me getting one though 🙂

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Pipedream looks great for the price, very tempting.

bobster
    Free Member

I'm a Hummer rider and no I cannot 'justify' it financially. It's just one of those things you are either prepared to spend out on, or not.

I've had a Soda – Nice for singletrack, copied with Spain fine, but there was always something not quite right.

2008 Hummer much better, much more me, best bike I'd ridden.

UNTIL – It broke. 2010 Lynskey Hummer now and it really is fab, better than the 2008 and therefore the new best bike I've ridden. But whilst waiting for it I rode a Genesis Altitude and really liked that, on a par with the 2008 Hummer for me.

If I didn't already have the Ti and was buying now? Genesis Altitude or Curtis Freeride, and the rest would go towards a full sus play bike.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I find my Ti Altitude rides best with the fork set at 120mm so that could be an option.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry for being thick but can you please explain why some of you need to "justify" Ti?

Genuinely curious 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

What is there to Justify ❓ Ti will by far outlast a steel or Alu frame by 2/3fold…. I had a 1993 Lynsky Litespeed frame which i sold last year and it was still awsome, only not to current geometry and that`s the only reason i sold it. Now on a Ti 456 😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

mmm yummy (but expensive!)…

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/ti_mojo/%5D

cinnamon_girl

I refused to "justify" mine to anybody!

qwerty
    Free Member

spend it – cos you WILL die 😯

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

There's no need to justify it (Ti) to anyone.

al_f
    Free Member

bobster – Member
    UNTIL – It broke.

How in the name of all that's holy did you manage to break a Hummer? Jedi used to do 10ft+ drops on his IIRC!

the_lecht_rocks

my ti456 is better than my 2006 hummer which is better than my 2005 kobe ti.

ti is brilliant, just don't expect a frame for life as fashion and function are changing rapidly.

fwiw, my lynskey ti456 is sublime – reactive and perfectly designed for fast flowing UK trails. a beautiful machine in all respects.

go get ti 🙂

djc1245
    Free Member

I've got a Pipedream Ti and it is lovely, my xmas present to me from me. Running it with 130mm forks.

cinnamon_girl

My Ti is for life, unlike my current/previous frames. Have never enjoyed a bike so much.

There was no way that I would spend serious money on a build, only to get "bored" with it after a year. It just isn't going to happen with my Litespeed Ocoee 😀

br
    Free Member

I've a 456Ti also, which TBH is not 4 times better than my previous steel 456 – but it's a kilogram lighter, for the same fun.

But compared to most, On One Ti's are cheap.

cinnamon_girl

pedalhead – new thread needed "Who has bought a Ti and not been happy with it?"

Perhaps that will help you!

singlespeedstu

My Ti is for life

Have you any idea how daft an idea that is…

druidh
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    > My Ti is for life

Depends how old you are when you buy it?

My 2nd Ti bike is currently under construction

cinnamon_girl

stu – Jeez … it's a mid-life crisis bike 🙄

druid – what you getting then?

druidh
    Free Member

Patience dear…

cinnamon_girl

Wanting to sell your carbon Blur then?

singlespeedstu

My 2nd Ti bike is currently under construction

Onion Mk2 I pressume.

If you think it's a bike for life you must be over 60….

al_f
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

I wasn't aware it was a legal requirement to change your bike every few years even if you're happy with it and it isn't broken… 🙄

singlespeedstu

cinnamon_girl – Member

stu – Jeez … it's a mid-life crisis bike

Ain't nothing that special about a Ti frame…

cinnamon_girl

No, it will stay with me as long as I mountain bike and I am definitely not over 60. However, I may well stop at 60 and get a tourer 😀

druidh
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Wanting to sell your carbon Blur then?

Let me think about that for a moment…..

…err no.

singlespeedstu

Nowt wrong with tourers. 8)

al.

There's a huge difference between a few years and life….

🙄 back atya

cinnamon_girl

Ti tourer stu, nothing less will do 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Dammit – found out….

singlespeedstu

Now a Ti tourer might do you for the rest of your days. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Ti-curious’ is closed to new replies.