Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Ti 456 creaking
  • jonnyseven

Had this frame since last year and when it was first built up it wasn't too bad but now the BB on my 456 is creaking badly every time I start putting pressure on the pedals. I read somewhere that this was down to the titanium on the frame and the alloy BB reacting, and to use PTFE tape and a load of grease having tried this it doesn't seem to work and is getting worse. Anyone any ideas on how to sort this out?

br
    Free Member

I've not had that with mine, but creaking on my steel one was due to a need to grease/oil the seat post clamp.

jonb
    Free Member

Lots of grease? maybe copperslip? Grease forms a protective barrier preventing the tow metals reacting.

Other things to check are you seat, post and clamp. Pedals and threads, headset. Often when something is creaking the noise is being transmitted through the frame and it is not what you originally expect.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The recent creak on my ti456 was 3 of four chainring bolts being loose.

jonnyseven

Cheers, but it is definitely not seatpost, clamp, or chainring bolts. Only happens when I pedal fairly hard so I'll try a new BB and a bucket of copperslip next.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My Ti bike has developed a creak too 🙁 – it's driving me crazy – it's also just in the drivetrain somewhere, happens only when I pedal, and sometimes it stops, only to start up again!! Chainring bolts are tight, cassette is tight, BB is tight…… so could it be the same problem?

birly-shirly
    Free Member

I was convinced that either my cranks or bottom bracket were creaking – a regular creak every time the left pedal went down. After much faffing, it seems to have been fixed after greasing the rear quick release and axle nuts that grip the rear dropout.

I also seem to have fixed some squealing disks by changing the forks they're bolted to…

showerman
    Free Member

frame is about to let go, warranty replacement coming 😉

timwillows
    Free Member

Been suffering much the same and its driving me nuts.

BB is fine, has been removed and replaced with extra copperslip and creak persists
    Bars removed, clamp cleaned replaced – persists
    Headset regreased – creak still there
    Seatpost removed, cleaned and then just removed! – creak persists

Only while peddling under power and wont do it while stationary

vinnyeh

frame is about to let go, warranty replacement coming

there are no replacement frames… I reckon if one went now, it's be away to Lynskey to get it repaired.

gamo
    Free Member

Mine does this every now and then, usually strip out the bb give the
    bb shell a good clean and reassemble with shimano assembly paste then
    no more noise!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I greased the rear QR – so it isn't that….

alcolepone
    Free Member

my ti456 was creaking too, turns out i hadn't greased some new v8's i had put on it, was that all along.

igm

Worn chainrings can give horrid creaking noises too.

donkeysled

i have the same frame, no problems with shimano cranks fitted, but went for ( very expensive)raceface ones recently. no amount of refitting regreasing will stop the creaking! yes i have tried everything, the frame is an awesome though dont you think?

nickc

Spokes nice and tight?

rs
    Free Member

+1 for check the pedals, my v12's started creaking under power after a few years, re-grease sorted them.

Rio

My Ti456 started creaking a couple of weeks ago, can't for the life of me figure out what it is – tried replacing the BB, removed & refitted seat-post, saddle, forks, checked chainring bolts, pedals, headset, front mech, cables etc. If I flex the frame by pushing on the forks I can feel something creaking but as someone said above the noise travels through the frame so it's impossible to locate the source. Only solution so far is to turn my iPod up. I wouldn't worry about it if it weren't for the fact that the noise is very similar to that made by my last Ti frame just before it cracked beyond repair.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mine was creaking; it turned out to be cracking.

Examine the frame closely.

Rio

ScottChegg – where was the crack? I've examined mine and can't find anything obvious…

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Mine was creaking; it turned out to be cracking

See that's why ti is special, it speaks to you 😉

mine creaks too, the pinch bolts on my left crank arm weren't quite tight enough, tightening helped enormously. Saddle bolts too, they needed tightening and that also helped. A ti post in a ti frame though, don't think I'll ever stop that creaking.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sorted – it was the pedals, cleaned up the threads, put on come copperslip – hey presto – silence is golden 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was just about to suggest the pedals. Honest.

zbonty

IME experience it could be a crack. Happened to mine after a week in the Pyrennes and lots of braking on descents.

Check the weld between the non driveside seatstay and the rear drop-out/break mount metal plate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thread-reading FAIL

jonnyseven

BB replaced with bucket of shimano anti – sieze. Still creaking as bad.
    Greased up contact area for rear wheel and skewer. Still creaking as bad.
    Stripped down the frame and threw it in the Calder. Can still hear it creaking under 10ft of water. 🙁

Will drag it out and look for cracks but on my initial look over I couldnt see anything. Apart from x- raying it anyone have any tips for locating hairline cracks – something to paint on maybe that shows them up?

woool
    Free Member

jonnyseven – I had a similar creak and tried everything. Mine was creaking when you push on the pedals (even with feet out of the cleats). I went through the s/post, BB cleaning (even replaced), etc. Ended up swapping out the whole rear wheel and the creak stopped…

… tried sticking my original skewer back on and still no creak so knew it was something on the wheel which is a Hope Pro II on a DT Swiss 5.1D. Removed the cassette, greased the freehub body (not sure if you're supposed to do this), the whacked the cassette back on and tightened it up to death. The creak has improved massively.

Search for Hope Pro II creaking topics and you'll find plenty, they might also offer some help.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

markenduro
    Free Member

I had the exactly the same with mine and it was driving me mad. I took out the BB, gave both the BB and the frame a good going over with a wire brush and refitted it with loads of grease and the creak has gone. Running a hope BB and the anodizing had mostly gone off the threads in spite of it being fitted up originally with copper slip so could be right about some sort of electrolytic corrosion going off in there.

br
    Free Member

there are no replacement frames… I reckon if one went now, it's be away to Lynskey to get it repaired.

And wait a long while… 2 1/2 months so far.

Although to be fair, mine was due to a cack-handed rider (me).

timwillows
    Free Member

May have traced mine to the rear QR, fettling that seems to have helped, I'll test it tomorrow

vinnyeh

And wait a long while… 2 1/2 months so far.

That's bs – what are they doing with it? Waiting til there's a quiet period in production before looking at it?
    Don't suppose you got offered a loaner frame from on-one, did you?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'd not wait for that long. I'd pay the excess on my insurance and get something that way, and get the other one repair at my leisure.

br
    Free Member

That's bs – what are they doing with it? Waiting til there's a quiet period in production before looking at it?
    Don't suppose you got offered a loaner frame from on-one, did you?

1 I would expect so – it wasn't like it was their fault.
    2 Already had a spare steel 456 frame, so no need – especially as there have been no 456Ti's made since early 2010.

I was tempted at the time to buy a carbon 456 frame, and tbh if I'd have knew it would've been 3 months, I would have done – and I'm certainly not claiming insurance for a couple of hundred quid.

Now, if it had been their fault… 👿

tk46hal
    Free Member

I replaced the xt BB for a Hope one and then well greased it! This made riding on the pedals mich stiffer and deffo, removed the creaking from down there. Also, like a prat! I had the seatpost clamp facing the wrong way and it wasn't fully closing the split. This also drove me potty because the seatpost occasionally make a terrible metallic creak when riding over the bumps/rocks etc. Now! fully cured!
    GOOD LUCK! IT'S A PAIN!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Ti 456 creaking’ is closed to new replies.