Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Three Peaks Challange
  • FB-ATB

Not quite in the same league as Everest as discussed earlie today, but has anybody here done the 3 peaks? If so, what are your experiences? Do you need a decent level of fitness to get all three in the 24hr time slot?

Thanks

Neil

druidh
    Free Member

Assuming you're meaning Nevis, Snowdon and the little 'un? Current advice from MRTs and other bodies is "please don't do it". Lots of erosion, madcap drivers haring round country lanes etc.

cinnamon_girl

Agree with druid. Would not have done it if I had realised the knock-on effect. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There was a link on Outdoor Magic years ago about this from a local point of view. Don't know if it still exists though.

druidh
    Free Member

Pfft. It's druidh 🙄

sofatester
    Free Member

Do you like motorways and driving at night?

Assuming you're meaning Nevis, Snowdon and the little 'un?

Oi! Enough of the little. It's the biggest we have down here! 😉

FB-ATB

Cheers for the advice, I'll do some more research. The guy asking me to join in is a scout leader & spends a lot of time out in mountains so I would have thought he should be quite sympathetic to the environmental concerns.

MrGreedy

How's about doing 24 peaks instead?

http://www.24peaks.co.uk/
    (Several different websites have details, you don't have to do it on an organised weekend, just get the route details and DIY)

Just as tough as the 3 peaks (if not tougher), but much less hectic and all in one area so minimal logistical support required.

kennyp
    Free Member

Agree with the others. Plenty other ways to challenge yourself and leave these three hills alone for a while.

cinnamon_girl

Pfft. It's druidh

Apologies! You Scots 🙄

In all seriousness, standing on the summit of Ben Nevis in the evening and savouring that panorama will stay with me for the rest of my life 8)

FB-ATB

Mr Greedy
    I'll happily tackle 2 of the peaks showing on that link!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not do the 3 peaks cyclo cross challenge ?

All 3 hills are a piece of pee to walk up so not exactly a challenge

ChrisE
    Free Member

We did the 3 peaks (Snowdon/Scafell/Ben) thing a couple of years ago. Start at bottom of Snowdon at Saturday morning, walk up (miners track?) to bottom of 11 pitch route (I'm no climber). climb with ropes and get to top for afternoon. Try to launch tandem paraglider off but failed because of strong winds. ended up walking down, get on tandem bike, put climbing gear in trailer, and put paraglider in, ride down to Llamberis for B&B. Up on Sunday, ride pulling trailer to Garstang (220km). B&B, Monday ride over Wrynose and Hardknott to Eskdale YHA. Tuesday climb on proper rock routes up Scafell and find gale-force winds at the top. Carry tandem paraglider back down. ride to St Bees (to Mrs ChrisE's) and night there. Leave Paraglider there this time as a bad job. Wed Ride St Bees to Drumlarig. Thursday tandem and trailer from Drumlarig to Adrossan, ferry to Arran, across Arran, Ferry to Kintyre and night at Tarbert. Friday ride to Oban, Ferry to Lismore, ride across island and ride from Port Appin to Fort William and Glen Nevis YHA. Saturday climb the ben via Tower Ridge.

That's a much better way to do it. Very low enviromental damage, did all the climbing in SPD shoes and with cycle shorts, helmets etc.

FUN!

C

aracer
    Free Member

So was it nice and calm flying conditions on top of the Ben?

boxelder

FB-ATB,

Why not walk/bike the Lakes 3 thousands – Scafell, Helvellyn and Skiddaw? No daft driving necessary and you can ride up two of them (leaving the bike and walking up/down Scafell Pike.

ChrisE

Finally got around to repatriating the tandem and there seems to be some mounts/spacers missing from the rear disk (rotor about 12mm from slot in caliper) – you've not got any random bits lying around have you?

Chris and his mate used our tandem and blew the rear Hope up, cracking the rotor descending Hardknott fully loaded (fat knackers that they are!)
    😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

this is the link to a locals view:
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=1505
    Plenty more on google.
    http://ben-nevis.com/three_peaks/three-peaks-criticisms.php

So – don't do it. Find your own challenge and don't be a goat ( as thick as sheep but more destructive)

Jenga
    Free Member

Why not walk/bike the Lakes 3 thousands – Scafell, Helvellyn and Skiddaw? No daft driving necessary and you can ride up two of them (leaving the bike and walking up/down Scafell Pike.

There used to be a proper organised event over that course. Did it myself a couple of times, foot only. Was organised by Ramblers Association. It was discontinued when the big rock fell on top of Lord's Rake, and everyone got the jitters that the whole mountain was going to fall down. It hasn't! It's quite easy to go under the rock and continue onto Scafell summit. The ascent via the West Wall Traverse is now a bit sketchy as some of the path was destroyed by the accompanying debris to the rock fall, but it's not really dangerous IMHO.

46 miles the full route. Used to start at 2AM, and the good boys were back before noon. A good route, worth having a look at.

DON'T do the 3 Peaks you mention.

P.S. Both Scafell and Scafell Pikes were visited, but you could always miss out Scafell if you want an easier challenge. But that way you'd miss the chance to descend Broad Stand!!!

ChrisE
    Free Member

I didnt see any random bits. If I never see that tandem again it will be a day too soon!

C

ChrisE
    Free Member

besides Mr Trousers you change your name ever time i log on. You're not on the run from the law are you……

IanMunro
    Free Member

ChrisE has got to win the most insane 3 peaks challenge so far 🙂

boxelder

besides Mr Trousers you change your name ever time i log on. You're not on the run from the law are you……

I've only changed it once since joining GoFar in 1999!
    (kids at school caught up with my old one and I don't want them knowing the depths of my sadness! Couple of us riding from Ambleside area Sat morning if you read this and fancy it?

jonb
    Free Member

As above really in terms of whether you should do it. You'd be as well picking three peaks in the same area and trying to walk between them.

I also think there are nicer walks than Scafell in the Lakes. Also I imagine better than Snowdon or Ben Nevis but I'm not as familiar with the areas.

I did the three peaks about 7 years ago. No training at all just 18 years old and a generally a fit walker. It was more about the driving than anything else. We did it through scouts so managed to rope in a dedicated driver. I would recommend a little bit of training or book the monday off work as I was pretty sore the next day.

29erKeith
    Free Member

do you know anyone with a boat?
    three peaks yacht race
    great event and its the only 3 peaks event with support from the locals in each area

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

3 peaks is completed in 24 hours by the driving, not the physical challenge of it. Don't do it.

Welsh3000's is a proper challenge and hard and is all in one place.

My experience of the welsh 3000's (plus 2 extras) here: http://hike4henry.blogspot.com/2009/07/hike-4-henry-17-summits-challenge.html

40mpg

A friend of mine did the 3 peaks yacht race last year and is doing it again this year. Sounds great, although he did run out of wind on the last leg!

You do need to find someone with a carbon fibre racing yacht though.

I would certainly never do the 3 peaks (road) challenge again. Very depressing seeing 30 vans turn up in a little lakes village at 5 in the morning, people peeing and shitting in the bushes etc. And queuing to cross bridges / climb steep bits 🙁

edit – thats him 2 up – 29er keith

ChrisE
    Free Member

Boxelder,

thanks for the offer this morning. Kate & I are cycling down to the WI in the village for a coffee and cake morning. Oh how the mighty fall!

(will be out tomorrow though)

C

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Three Peaks Challange’ is closed to new replies.