Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thread lock on tubeless valves
  • panzerjager
    Free Member

Has anybody resorted to using threadlock on their tubeless valves & were there any unforeseen problems?

I’m getting royally pi##ed off with valve being the weak link in my tubeless set-up.

It seems every time I need to pump up the tyre with my mini pump the valve core loosens or comes out & in tightening it back up the whole thing spins.

Tore the sidewall of my tyre at the weekend, the sticky worm fixed the hole but still ended up putting a tube in because the valve wouldn’t seal again!!

I’ve tried 3 different brands of valve with the same result, is threadlock the answer to my woes??

Even tried a push-on valve with no success.

aP
    Free Member

Just get a valve core “key” and tighten up the valve core properly.

panzerjager
    Free Member

I have one, I use it & I carry one in my pack.
    Hasn’t solved the problem
    You can only tighten it as long as you have a set of grips on the outer, as this is as round as the hole in the rim!

greyspoke
    Free Member

I take the opposite approach, oil and grease. Grease the thread on the ring that holds the valve outer in the rim, also grease the thread between the valve core and the outer (and don’;t do it up too tight). Occasionaly a blob of oil on the tip of the valve before inflating. The idea is to keep the sealant from gumming up the threads and valve.

neilforrow

PTFE / Plumbers tape works for me.

TiRed

every time I need to pump up the tyre with my mini pump the valve core loosens

Lezyne? Get another pump.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Haha, yeah, Lezyne…the threaded collar is obviously too tight & the slip on one i bought is bloody useless.

New pump is next on the list.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try a different pump but the ptfe sounds interesting too.

Cheers.

igm

I may have deliberately got Stans on the core threads before inserting it with one valve.

It worked.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I love the truflo mini track pump, apart from the screw on head, it’s a pain on the hoop.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve a Lezyne mini pump, and swapped the threaded end for a push on chuck, much better.

As for valve core tools i found a metal one to be far better than the plastic ones that come with mavic etc valves.

shermer75
    Free Member

Isn’t that what the button on lezyne hoses is for?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

As for metal valve removal tools, schwalbe make a rather excellent mini tool.

It can remove three different valve cores (inc. car and presta), and also has some handy size Allen keys and screwdrivers.

Costs approx £18
    Or £13 on bikediscount.de plus £5 postage.

Feels like quality and very dinky.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thread lock on tubeless valves’ is closed to new replies.