Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • those wimpy LED lights…
  • bassspine
    Free Member
    bruneep

is there a helmet mount?

trout
    Free Member

helmet light here

PJ266
    Free Member

Thats mental.

Oooooor not real, which one?

stevenieve
    Free Member

Does it come with a helmet/bar mount?

Spongebob
    Free Member

One day, LED bike lights will be available at a price normal/sane people can afford.

Powerful bike lights have always been stupidy overpriced. Firms like Lupine and their £780 headlights are a complete joke. I'm certain they could turn these out from their Far Eastern factory and sell on the high street at around £150 and still make a decent profit.

Trouble is, with people like my rich and mate who has two of these, they will keep on with their fat margin, low volume price model.

Matey bought the second because he mislaid the battery of the first one and literally couldn't be bothered to look for the original! He has a big house and his wife likes to ferret stuff away out of site (woman's tidying – where nothing is in it's logical place, just out of sight and all jumbled up). Call me misogynistic, I don't care! 😆

He ended up spending more on lights than he did on his bike!

I'm pondering whether to get a couple of LED MR11's and to rewire the lead on my Cateye's. The two 6v batteries would need to run in series, rather than in paralel, so I'd get 12V to supply the lamps. This would still cost me about £30 odd for the lamps though.

mudshark
    Free Member

Spongebob – so if there's such a huge margin why aren't other companies undercutting them with something similar? You know, that market forces thing….

avdave2

Has anyone tried converting their old Cateye halogen lamps to LED. Is it as simple as plugging in led light units and wiring the batteries in series? I'd be interested in trying it with mine if it's straightforward and will give a bit more light.

montylikesbeer

£ for £ troutie takes some beating and I guess he is not bathing in ass's milk on the profits either.

Lupine have been giddy with their prices for years hence the rise in "home made" lights that are cheaper, better technology and from folks who have a passion for what they do.

trout
    Free Member

I have just this very afternoon upgraded a Cateye Triple shot for some one it is now a double shot but around 1800 lumens
    his battery was knacked so he will need to get one of Smudges for it .

How it was done

trout
    Free Member

beam shots for above modification

Stoner
    Free Member

frankenlamps. 'tis the future! 🙂

Stoner: happy Trout-LL owner

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One day, LED bike lights will be available at a price normal/sane people can afford.

There already is mate, the £50 DX light. It's better then my £300 HID Lumi was, and I can see no reason at all to spend any more than that 🙂

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Trout, would the same thing be possible with a 2004 USE exposure enduro? It's just I like the all in one unit and I'm lothe to chuck it away and buy a new light.

trout
    Free Member

Tree magnet

is it bust .
    I am sure something can be done and would be happy to have a look .
    I quite like upgrading other lights

molgrips
    Free Member

Firms like Lupine and their £780 headlights are a complete joke

People are prepared to pay it, so why on earth wouldn't you charge it?

Lupine are expensive because they are good. Other, cheaper lights are availale. What's your point caller? Lupine are trying to make a living, they are not trying to provide great lights for the world's mtbing poor, are they? They'd need massive investment to get the costs down, so why would they try when they are doing well enough?

Lupine's products have driven the market forward, imo.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Pah, gents, I see your LEDs and raise you all a 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light:

…more about it over here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92396&highlight=tank

grahamt1980

That looks like a bloody massive lightsaber, probably cut you in half too if you crossed the beam, at least the cut would be sealed by the heat

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice work trout!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

trout – Member
    Tree magnet

is it bust .
    I am sure something can be done and would be happy to have a look .
    I quite like upgrading other lights

No, but it's only 400 lumens which would be fine if everyone I rode with didn't have 1000+ lumen lights now. 😕 I was going to buy some new Maxx D lights, but if I can upgrade the one's I have now it makes much more financial and ecological sense.

trout
    Free Member

Quality Dangerboy that is awesome bit heavy for the helmet .

Tree magnet When you dont need it for a couple of weeks be happy to perform surgery on it even just a led swap should see a good increase in output for the same battery runtime .

mail me if your interested

Saccades
    Free Member

what's the modern equivalent to cateye abs25's?

the batteries are borked and i need something for sits later in the year, preferably under 100 quid and not as heavy.

i quite like the look of that 1 led hope thing, i like the idea of ease of using AA batteries too.

any suggestions?

molgrips
    Free Member

Just get new batteries? Smudge off here did me a cracking battery pack for half the cost of Lupine.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘those wimpy LED lights…’ is closed to new replies.