• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by StuF.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Those Chinese Carbon roadbike wheels…..anyone have them?
  • hopefiendboy

Potentially looking to get some of the 50mm deep carbon clincher roadie wheels- anyone have any or much experience of them on STW?

Cheers in advance!

sq225917
    Free Member

Just get em from PlanetX, local service and support. Worth the few extra quid price difference there will be once you’ve added shipping and duty for the Chinese wheels.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, no problems here. I’ve had a couple of sets of Carbonzone carbon clinchers on Novatech hubs. They’ve been perfect over two years of continuous use.

Build quality is great. (as with all my direct Chinese purchases)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

not me but a bloke at work bought some through a contact at his club a few months ago. He just reported last week that the rear wheel has ‘gone a bit wobbly’. He can’t work out if it’s hub bearings or loose spokes.

about 10 of his club bought them. He and 1 other had a problem. The other got a free replacement.

They were these wheels apparently

http://www.skeggsys-cycles.co.uk/products/wheels/

Shibboleth
    Free Member

He can’t work out if it’s hub bearings or loose spokes.

Surely this should be quite an easy one to deduce??

The ones from Wheelsfar seem to get the best reviews and are silly light, but the website seems to be offline…

scandalous
    Free Member

I have a pair I’m selling

50mm clinchers on DT Swiss 240s rear hub and SP Dynamo front hub.

Email in profile!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I take it wheelstar is the same company as farsport – their website is also down.

I’ve looked into this quite a bit and I’m pretty sure I’m going for 38mm farsport clinchers.

plus-one

Yes the wheelsfar/farsports are quality for the money .. I have the 38mm clinchers and they had some serious abuse over our lovely potholed roads and ridden in anger a few times .. Cracking pair of wheels 🙂

Few club mates are running them too in tubular 38mm and few have 50mm clincher with no issue..

But yes website is down 🙁

StuF

Gary, I’m about to order some of the wider (25mm) clinchers[edit] 38mm depth rims from farsports – I’ll let you know once they’ve turned up

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is it just rims you’re buying StuF? Would be good to know what the quality is like. Thanks.

ollie51
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a few, plenty of people bring them into the shop I work in for truing.

Some absolutely shocking, most built to bad tolerances but some quite good.

My view is basically a big name brand, or wheelsmith!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member

He can’t work out if it’s hub bearings or loose spokes.

Surely this should be quite an easy one to deduce??

The ones from Wheelsfar seem to get the best reviews and are silly light, but the website seems to be offline…

you would be surprised. Most of them don’t know the first thing about bike build/servicing they just take it to the LBS to do it for them.

I was talking to one guy I’ve known for years. He’s 100% roadie but has ridden for 20 years plus, has ridden alpine climbs, rides with a club etc. I was telling him I had changed my rear cassette and he looked at me in amazement when I told him I’d done it myself and asked how I’d done it.

Others have no idea how to change a bottom bracket or a chainset. Another one was intrigued by a power link. Another guy only ever used innner tubes once and threw thme away each time he punctured etc…

(They are clearly paid more than me!).

StuF

no – full wheels on bitex hubs with sapim cx ray spokes + yellow swissstop pads.

I’ve not quite hit the button yet – but probably will tomorrow. Dealing with someone all via email – it’s been good so far, answering questions quickly (well overnight).

They also said 18 month warranty on them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

ah right, think I’m going for the ED ceramic hubs which are a bit lighter and I’ve read that the standard blue pads are pretty good. Plus they match my bike 🙂

StuF

Gary – have you found velobuild.com – all things chinese carbon. I went for the Bitex ones as they’re at the top of my budget anyway 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, but I’ll take a look.

StuF

So the wheels turned up (eventually, no surprise that parcel force took longer to get it from customs to me than it took to get from china to customs)

I’ve only been out for a quick 20 miles – so far no issues. Fitted some 25mm GP4000S to them, they were as easy to get the tyres on as any other wheel. Once out they feel quicker and easier to maintain speed, especially at high speeds – a strange perception of not as much dragging you back.

Build quality looks fine, there was no pinging of spokes as the tension sorted itself out.

Just need to find time to get some more rides in now 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Any customes charges?

StuF

£25 handling fee that parcel force use for ‘admin’ – so not as bad as I expected

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thats not too bad. I’ve been hovering over the buy button for month. So did they take about 4 weeks to be delivered?

paulevans
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Light Bicycle clincher wheels on their way to me. I wss hoping to go for Planet X but needed to have disc brake hubs so that ruled them out.

The wheels I’ve ordered are 50mm section clinchers without braking surface built on Novatec hubs with Pilar spokes. Hoping to get confirmation today/tomorrow that they have been shipped in readiness for the Fred Whitton in May!

Just need a cheap Di2 groupset now!!!

StuF

Probably about 3 weeks – about 10 days wondering through customs and various depots in this country

cynic-al
    Free Member

StuF – Member
    Once out they feel quicker and easier to maintain speed, especially at high speeds – a strange perception of not as much dragging you back.

You did double-blind test that, yes?

StuF

Yep, I blindfolded myself whilst cycling Al (living up to your name 🙂 )

They just feel quicker, maybe it’s the 400-500g off the weight, maybe the 25mm vs 23/20mm tyres, maybe it’s a following wind, even shock horror I’m fitter than last year – I’ve not had chance to compare times over various bits.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Those Chinese Carbon roadbike wheels…..anyone have them?’ is closed to new replies.