Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Those cheap Commencal frames on CRC – anyone else risked it?
  • alexonabike

I’ve just (maybe naively) ordered a 2011 Super 4 alu frame without there being any picture or description. £360 (£400 -10%) seems very good so I thought it would be worth a punt!

Anyone else been eyeing up another of the other cheap Commies?

Kuco

Have been thinking about it but not had the nerve to purchase without seeing them first.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fantastic prices . . . but no mention of whether a shock is included 😕 . Commencal clearance outlet sell them direct, without shock.

gingerss
    Free Member

Commencal have been plagued with frame build quality issues. I’ve had 3 of which 2 have cracked. The one I have now seems OK – it’s a 2010 Meta 55 and it looks to be of much higher quality than the 2009 it replaced.

Personally I wouldn’t go for another one unless it had a significantly longer warranty than the standard 2 years.

alexonabike

I’m aware of the cracking issues, but I have (unfounded) confidence in the 2011 frames. Im unsure if the frame comes with a shock or not. I did call them up and spoke to the ‘Brand Manager’ via a sales rep. He pointed out that it would usually state ‘No Shock’ in the item title if this was the case. However, he couldnt tell me for sure… He sent a request to the warehouse for someone to go and have a look. Im still waiting for a response. I took the risk as the 10% off runs out today and I didnt want to miss out. Finger crossed!!

Crag
    Free Member

If they do come with a shock then thats a real bargain.

Like gingerss I’ve had a couple of the Meta’s crack on me (2008 & 09) but I’ve not heard many reports on the 2010’s or 2011’s breaking.

At that price, even if it does crack after 2 years (which is now unlikely given they have changed manufacturing facilities) then you’ve had your money’s worth. If I was looking I’d take a punt. Great riding frames.

alexonabike

Ive been on the look out for a short travel ‘fun’ xc bike with slack-ish angles to replace my inbred frame. Its been on the back burner since im working in the Scilly Isles for a year with limited riding on my island of Tresco. But seeing this, I think I’ll have a fun little bike to blast around on while im here (Have left the NP Mega with the parents for the year). Its a birthday present to myself! I hope it works out.

alexonabike

Well, its been dispatched so Im hoping for the best!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Any news on whether shock is included or not?

alexonabike

Nope!

Northwind

Pretty fantastic price that… Hope it works out. Almost tempted to grab a 55 on general principles.

jeff

hmmm – that’s about the same price (before tax) that I was quoted by Commencal for a crash replacement meta frame less shock.

commencal clearance

alexonabike

I know, it does seem to good to be true, but being the optimist, I’m still smiling! Time will tell, I hope that comes with a shock, maybe even the X-Fusion that is specced on the Super 4 Comp.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Has the frame landed yet ?

paulo6624
    Free Member

Any one else took delivery of one of these yet ?

Carbis

I’m thinking about one of these frames, have we established if they come with a rear shock and what type it is?

IA

I also asked, no response as yet…

paulo6624
    Free Member

just spoken to the crc tech guys and these frames do not come with a shock, grrr, to good to be true I guess, so any one selling a shock to fit a meta 5 frame, 200 i2i 51 stroke I believe?

cij100
    Free Member

I was quoted more than that for a crash replacement for my 07 meta that cracked. At that price it’s almost tempting but then I remember that the only reason I need to buy a new one is because the last one broke….

alexonabike

The super 4 has arrived at home (I’m at work). The box states commencal clearance so I’m guessing no shock is included 🙁 but it is Matt red in colour, which is kinda nice!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Matte red is nice. Remember to order some matte helitape-the usual stuff looks odd on the matte paint.

Here’s mine (excuse the mudguards):

paulo6624
    Free Member

Hey coulda Shoulda woulda, what length fork are you running on there?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t worry, my mate has a Super 4 and despite him breaking almost every component on it the frame has been sound.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

what length fork are you running on there

120. I also had an 09 frame with 100 but they seem happier at 120.

mamadirt
    Free Member

C’mon Alex – parcel pics please 😛

paulo6624
    Free Member

Thought they looked a bit longer than that, anyone ran a 140 fork on a super 4 or is that not the done thing ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I had uturns on the 09 : 110 – 140. I had the notion of winding them out going downhill. Only did it once – left it at 120. So when building this one I just stuck at 120.

alexonabike

Confirmed no shock 🙁 oh well! I’m still a happy bunny! I won’t see the frame in the flesh until the 21st as I’m currently working on a small island in the Atlantic! My parents have sent me a pic that I’ll upload in a bit. From the pic- I like!

paulo6624
    Free Member

Exactly what I was thinking coulda , do I take it they decend very well at 120 then

Looking forward to seeing the pic Alex

alexonabike

Here you go, excuse fast moving father:

Let me know if this pic works, my internet is SO slow that sometime/most of the time the connection times out before pics are loaded. 0.01mb/s FTW!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Where, where? No pic here.

alexonabike

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooooh, very nice – I’m currently awaiting a warranty replacement from Commencal and wondering whether it’ll be orange or matte red – that red does look very very nice 😛 . LOL @ fast Dad too 😆

paulo6624
    Free Member

Looks like it comes with all the shock mounting bits, what size shock for a super 4 then

alexonabike

Im on the look out for a 165x38mm shock – anyone?!

v666ern
    Free Member

Alex, do you look like your dad…imagine that face riding past at speed 😯 😆

alexonabike

Im the spitting image…

McZoooom!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

do I take it they decend very well at 120 then

Yep – I like mine a lot. Always grinning. Dont have a whole lot to compare it to – buts its lower and a more grounded feeling than my Yeti ASR. The back end has this “infinite” suspension feeling – it never seems to bottom out. The only downside to this are occasional pedal strikes (eg pedalling through a bomb hole). You’ll soon learn.

small island in the Atlantic!

Ireland?

As for the shock try and find one with the original tune (my original was an rp2 with compression 3, rebound 2).

alexonabike

Ireland?

Not quite, Tresco Isles of Scilly.

my original was an rp2 with compression 3, rebound 2

Very helpful – cheers!

What’s the tyre clearance like out back? Ive got a 2.35 Minion i’d like to run… will there be space considering that its very skinny for a 2.35″?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Tyres: I use nobbly nics 2.25 and thats got room to spare. I dont have a minion to check.

Some other stuff that might be helpful:

– front mech : conventional, bottom pull works best. One mech I had had the adjustment screws hidden behind the stays and was inaccesible. I got so fed up I got a new one from Merlin. They have them: SLX m661 for £16.95 now. It’s got the screws at an angle and is a whole lot easier.

– The headset is integrated (I’m pretty sure but not positive thats the right term: the headset cups are part of the frame itself) and you need “campy style” headset bearings etc.

– Buy some spare brake cable clips. Halfords do a pack of 5 or so for a pound. The one just beside the brake caliper seems to get pulled / popped out by the suspension moving. Or better still – cable tie the brake cable firmly to the stay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Those cheap Commencal frames on CRC – anyone else risked it?’ is closed to new replies.