Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Thomson Dropper seatpost
  • lehutch
    Free Member

Was going to save up for a Rockshox Reverb for my Yeti (shame that the one I had for my previous bike was a 31.6 so doesnt fit), but got talking to my LBS, who mentioned the new Thomson version which comes out soon.

Has anyone had a peek at one of these yet, are they any good? Also, any idea of the likely price and when they’ll be available in the UK?

Cheers!

wwaswas

expensive and the Autumn, I think?

non-user serviceable but with a long service interval – worries me slightly in uk conditions.

portlyone

Twas on Bike Radar recently.

EDIT: opps, sorry STW! http://singletrackworld.com/2013/02/core-bike-2013-thomsons-new-dropper-post/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

RRP is £350, but then Reverb RRP is £299.

I’d not be too fussed about user servicability. After all if they get it right with no play then the seal can do it’s job and it’d take a very long time for a seatpost to get even anywhere near the number of actuations as a set of forks get in 25 hours (their usual interval).

The problem with most posts is they have play, which makes the seals little more than decorative.

I’m happy with my Reverb though.

TheGingerOne

Thomson Dropper Testing blog

“Ride testing is going on now. Two posts are in the UK for Winter riding as the conditions there are some of the worst on suspension components.”

wwaswas

conditions there are some of the worst on suspension components.

Not sure whether to weep at this or be proud to be British and riding come what may.

Northwind

It could be great… But I think there’s reason for skepticism they give information on its service intervals and claims of reliability, then sends them out for testing.

Like any other dropper post, wait til it’s been tested in the wild. You have to be braver than I am to be an early adopter.

Trimix
    Free Member

I would buy the Reverb – its been around for a couple of years now, UK service center is very good should you ever get an issue with it. TF Tuned / Loco service them.

Dispite the feedback on STW they do work well. You only hear the people who moan.

Oh, and the Thompson is cable – thats just pants really.

Ive had my Reverb serviced – there was no crap inside so the seals do seem to work fine.

Northwind

Trimix – Member

Why? Cable makes more sense to me- more easily and cheaply serviced and more damage-resistant/bodgable. When I broke my lever in the alps I was very glad it was a cable post. I like the ergonomics of the Reverb button but I didn’t find any performance advantage over the KS cable operation. (as long as you have a decent cable anyway, the OEM one was pish)

stevied
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a dropper and will be waiting til the Thompson one has been around a bit. Supposedly due March/April this year..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d prefer it if my reverb was cable (1st gen with the hydraulic hose and looking a bit suspect after 18 months, 2nd gen with brake hose are apparently more durble). Like the seatpost/suspension analogy, it doesn’t move enough to wear out a cable. The reverbs hydraulic system is a bit of a gimik, a solution looking for a problem.

MarkN
    Free Member

Only testing 2 posts in the UK given that they admit to this being the most harsh environment. I would have expected a few more to be tested and abused to get a better picture.

Cable vs hydraulic was one reason why I went for KS Lev and avoided the RS Reverb.

Trimix
    Free Member

I prefer not to have cables – water ingress for example.

In the 2 and a half years of my hydraulic Reverb its been fine. Never needed attention.

Bit like brakes – cables just seem old fasion / primitive / open to water / dirt ingress.

roverpig

I’ve never tried a Reverb, but on my two dropper posts (Gravity Dropper Turbo and early Speclialized Command post) it is always the cable that causes problems. OK, it’s easy to fix (wherever you might be) but sooner or later gunk gets in there and stops the cable moving smoothly. I’ve always thought that a sealed hydraulic system might be better. But, as I say, I’ve never tried one in anger.

Northwind

Trimix – Member

In the 2 and a half years of my hydraulic Reverb its been fine. Never needed attention.

Yep, when it’s not broken it’s great. When you break it up a mountain it’s not. On my bikes, sooner or later everything gets whacked off a rock. How stuff fails is just as important as how it works.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ll only change my reverb when there’s something I consider comparable, with cable entry at the seatpost.

mildred

Why? Cable makes more sense to me- more easily and cheaply serviced and more damage-resistant/bodgable. When I broke my lever in the alps I was very glad it was a cable post. I like the ergonomics of the Reverb button but I didn’t find any performance advantage over the KS cable operation. (as long as you have a decent cable anyway, the OEM one was pish)

So based on that rationale, do only use Avid BB7 disk brakes?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had both cable and hydraulic operated seatposts. Both worked fine and both were just as susceptible to damage at the lever.

With seatposts, I don’t think one is better than the other, they’re just different.

Northwind

mildred – Member

So based on that rationale, do only use Avid BB7 disk brakes?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had both cable and hydraulic operated seatposts. Both worked fine and both were just as susceptible to damage at the lever.

Hydraulic brakes work better than cable- but it’s not a comparable situation. There’s no fine control in a mech or seatpost, it’s just on/off.

It’s not that the hydraulics are susceptible to damage (though, earlier Reverbs are), it’s what happens if you damage it.

Vinte
    Free Member

I’m a bit disappointed by the Thomson post. I was hoping they would produce a more refined version of the gravity dropper, spring loaded, easy to service and may be a little more aesthetically pleasing.

brakes
    Free Member

I’d actually quite like the lever-actuated version. But £350 is a ridiculous amount to pay – what happened to introductory prices? 1) get an immediate market share 2) not lose face when consumer testing identifies design problems. £350 is a lot to pay for any bike component, it’s how much I’d pay for a set of forks.
    What’s the warranty? Lifetime, no quibbles I’d hope.

lehutch
    Free Member

I liked the reverb but the Thomson doesn’t need bleeding and is slightly lighter. However £350 may be be a little rich for my liking, if it was £300 max I may consider it. I get potential issues around early adoption, but figure that if its got a warranty then risk may be limited….

northernerindevon

Just a thought – could you fit a couple of the Middleburn cable oilers to something like the KS Lev at the point of installation?

I thought they were a bit gimmicky but fitted some to the brake cables and the gear cables on my old Marin Mount Vision (pub / town / hack bike) and was really pleased with them. Roll the rubber donuts back, flush with GT85 or whatever every now and again. Kept things lovely and smooth.

As I said, just a thought….

I’m in the market for a dropper post and the KS Lev is in the lead – no nasty cable loop and 150mm drop.

boltonjon

Reverb all the way!

nockmeister
    Free Member

From Thomson…

Thomson warrants our Elite Dropper Seatpost to be free from defects in material and workmanship for two years, from the date of purchase, to the original owner. Thomson Elite Dropper posts are not user serviceable and may only be serviced by Thomson or a Thomson authorized service facility. Unauthorized service voids warranty.

This warranty does not cover damage from crashing, abuse, modification or improper installation. Thomson defines abuse as using a product outside its intended design. If you believe you have a warranty claim return your product to Thomson for evaluation. Please include the original receipt from the authorized seller. Auction based websites are not authorized sellers of new Thomson products.

the_lecht_rocks

ive had 13 months of brutal use from my reverb touching wood………….

so far , impressed.

my joplin 3 lasted max 3 months…….

justatheory
    Free Member

I will be getting the KS Lev when I get enough 1 and 2 pences together. I prefer the idea of cable actuated in a worst case scenario situation and the Lev looks very tidy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Dropper seatpost’ is closed to new replies.