Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Thinking of buying an orange5 frame?
  • erny
    Free Member

As title says i’m thinking of swaping my 04 heckler frame for an orange 5,what do you think of the orange 5 or are there any other frames worth looking at for the around the same money,pics woud be good

erny
    Free Member

anyone

davo
    Free Member

i have just ordered a orange 5 frame to replace my trek ex9. don’t know if i have done the right thing. i did test a 5 last year. the ex9 was to active for my liking. so we will see when I’ve built it up.

jimw
    Free Member

What do you want to use it for? I think my Five is great for the mixed riding that I do- slightly harder work than some up the hills but very reassuring downhill.

Foundry
    Free Member

I have just bought an Orange 5 as a frame; I looked at a lot of bikes for general riding but ended up with the 5. I am very pleased with it, it climbs well and goes down the other side very well. I don’t think that I could ask for anything more of a bike really. Every time I asked a shop assistant what they thought of it they said that they jus make you smile, I would have to agree with that that is exactly what they do. They are probably not the best at going down or for racing on but they do a very good impersonation of it.
    My previous bike was a Kona Dawg and I won’t be going back to it.

davo
    Free Member

what colour frames have you people got?

hustler
    Free Member

The 5 is a nice bike for general thrashing aroud single track, but it is no downhill rig. Cove Hustler is another option

jimw
    Free Member

Blue ( well, I like it…)

arfur
    Free Member

I’ve recently done the exact swap you’re thinking of. Had no probs at all with my old 18″ heckler but needed to upgrade so many parts so sold the lot and got myself a good deal on a 5 pro (18″ chrome grey).
    No regrets at all. I’m a fan of single pivots and love the feel and ride of the 5, for me it’s perfect – up, down, quick blast or all day.
    You could look at the newer heckler frame, but my advice – go orange!

nickegg
    Free Member

Loving my Orange 5. Swapped all parts from a 2007 Marin Wolf Ridge to a second hand 2007 frame. It’s sooooo much better.

Having said that, did 30 miles on my fiancee’s Yeti 575 yesterday. Oh my god!….Now that is an amazing bike! Accelerates so much quicker, Wants to fly off every lump, root etc and has such supple suspension.

I’m not too keen on how the 5’s shock ramps up at the end of the travel. The Yeti almost feels bottomless in comparison. That little swing link makes all the difference.

Going to stick with the Orange for now but a Yeti is going to be the replacment. Although by then, my fiancee will be my wife and we will have matching bikes! Doh!

erny
    Free Member

Will be using it for day rides around lakes,peak and north wales and not relly into downhilling,but might get the od trip out to alps.What size are you riding i’m 6’1″ and ride a large heckler?

jimw
    Free Member

There have been some other threads about this recently- I amd 6’2″ and I find a 20″ fine- others prefer an 18″ – I just found it a bit too cramped

nickegg
    Free Member

5′ 9″ and riding a 18″ with a 75mm stem. I could probably be comfortable on a 16″ too.

sockpuppet

what’s up with the heckler?

the five’s a very similar bike, so little difference for lots of £££…

(speaking as a five rider btw – excellent bike imo)

GeoffMuckers

I would suggest you demo one.

I tested a 16″ and it was fine, settled for 18″ and I’m 6′ tall.

Orange bikes are long in the top tube, so you get lots of stand over with a long post.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Had a guy in my shop today who’s on training at ATG (I work in Aylesbury). He is 6’2 and rides an 18″ 5… said the same as everyone else here, that the bike just makes you grin when you ride it. His big bit of advice was to go for a Maxle back end

erny
    Free Member

I think i will test ride an 18 then and see how i get on

4ndyB
    Free Member

Great bikes, very large grin factor, spot on for 90% of UK riding

5’9″, 32″ inside leg, 18″ ’07 5 Pro

carbon337
    Free Member

I was thinking the same, sunsetmtb have an offer of £1075 for an 08 frame.

What do the 2nd hand ones go for? Will a 5 work with a 130mm fork or will it need more?

sharki
    Free Member

I’m unsure you’ll really feel the difference between a 5 and your present SC, they’re very similar bikes however the 5 MAY climb just a little better…

If you’re not into the DH so much then consider the ST4, the 5 screams to be ridden fast and comes alive on fast descents.

But like i always advice TEST RIDE one first on your local trails it’s not for everyone liking and i feel you’ll end up thinking it’s abit too much like your heckler, but you’ll end up liking it to just justify the money you’ve spend.

Sharki(ex 5 owner)

nickegg
    Free Member

What Sharki says…Heckler and 5 are way to similar really. If you just fancy a change then fair enough but i’m not buying a brand new frame is worth doing unless you can afford of course.

I got my 2007 2nd hand frame/Seat post/XT front mech for £550 and sold my Marin Wolf Ridge/Seat post/Deore front mech for £350 so only £200 for the swap. That was last July. Frame was in good condition but could now do with a respray as the factory finish isn’t great.

Glad i did as the Orange is far superior to the Marin.

jam-bo

they rule. (sharki’s ex 5 owner)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of buying an orange5 frame?’ is closed to new replies.