Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Things you do that make your neighbours think you're weird….
  • grum
    Free Member

Currently sat out by my shed BBQing some ribs – from conversations with some of my neighbours recently I think they reckon I’m a bit mental for BBQing in November.

I reckon some of you must get up to some properly weird stuff though.

nonk
    Free Member

Going out on my bike seems to baffle the shit out of some of them

jekkyl

Going out on my bike seems to baffle the shit out of some of them

+1

& perhaps standing outside in the street in bike gear with bike staring at mobile phone waiting for ‘GPS OK’

bearnecessities

Single man with a cat. ’nuff said.

mattbee

Come home from work or rides really late at night. Neighbor 2 doors down keeps telling me about people scoping out my van on the drive in the early hours. Only ever happens when I finish late. Have tried explaining but he’s rather elderly and I don’t think he understands that people can be out and about after 10 pm & not up to nefarious deeds…

Junkyard
    Free Member

asking them not to park on the dropped kerb with the double yellow lines so i can get my car out seems to confuse at least some of them

Cycling in the dark – are you mad – I sure am fatty are you enjoying that cigarette then?

Pointing out that a one way street is one way and asking him to think of the children [ i could not resist]

SaxonRider

For the record: BBQing is a 12-month-a-year activity. Anyone who thinks you’re weird for doing it has a seriously impoverished winter palette.

grum
    Free Member

Thank you SaxonRider. 🙂

JY di any of those result in you getting shouty by any chance?

Have tried explaining but he’s rather elderly and I don’t think he understands that people can be out and about after 10 pm & not up to nefarious deeds…

Just explain that you’ve been out dogging.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Having 2 cars on the drive…then cycling to work most days.

Disapearing for weeks on end confused them till i explained what i did.

Practically living in the garage/shed when im home.

khani
    Free Member

When I was making the raised bed in the front garden, one of the more snooty neighbours asked what I was doing, so I told her it was the frame for a pig pen and the pigs were being delivered in two days..
    Watching the colour drain from her face was a picture.. 😀

grum
    Free Member

🙂

Vern0n
    Free Member

I recently dragged the whole family out in the dark to eat Sunday roast in front of the bonfire. Got some odd looks after that…
    Kids loved it tho!

shermer75
    Free Member

I walk to work like this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqM2ytqHY4[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Me disappearing into my shed a couple of times a week dressed in a t shirt and lycra shorts, turning the radio up loud, then appearing an hour or two later drenched in sweat.

Obvious to everyone here that i’d be using a turbo trainer, but If the neighbours ever ask I’m gonna claim it’s an online zumba class.

mogrim

For the record: BBQing is a 12-month-a-year activity. Anyone who thinks you’re weird for doing it has a seriously impoverished winter palette.

I’ve got a BBQ next weekend with the guys+girls from my swim class. Snow’s forecast this weekend, I doubt it’s going to be warm 🙂

(We won’t be making use of the host’s outdoor pool. At least I don’t plan to, although alcohol will be involved so who knows…)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Appearing out of the bike shed at 11pm, in the pishin wet dark, with only my boxers on. Wet, muddy clothes can always wait until morning.

Daniel
    Free Member

After finding out my wife was pregnant, one of my neighbours (who I’d had little contact with) said, ‘so you do, do more than wash bikes then!’

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I sure am fatty

🙄

crazy-legs

I ride my bike to work in spite of having a perfectly good car. This confuses my neighbour.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Chase miscreants with a variety of medieval weapons.
    My neighbours are incredibly polite for some reason.

tomhoward

Yeah riding to work weirds them out.

Not nearly as much as when I play ‘windmills’ in the big bay front window. Naked, obvs.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I`ve been monitoring most of my neighbours local movements for nearly a month now, they are totally unaware, its a boring but essential task.

The spirit of Harry Cross lives on.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I worked abroad and didn’t want to risk bringing cockroaches home in my baggage. Third-world ships have a lot of them. I’d take my bag to the far end of the garden, take clothes out one at a time and shake them thoroughly, always in daylight.

benji
    Free Member

I walk to work, then get home and thrash the bike on the rollers in the evening, and of a weekend go and get muddy come home, then wash the bike. All of that seems to puzzle them, not sure why.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s all farms by me. My walking and cycling causes them no end of amusement.

grum
    Free Member

Chase miscreants with a variety of medieval weapons.
    My neighbours are incredibly polite for some reason.

POIDH.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Washing the car or van when it’s dark, or raining, or both.
    RC rock crawling in the back garden.
    Having hundreds of fire extinguishers in my garage.

grum
    Free Member

Ok you actually are a bit weird though. 😉

theotherjonv

I used to stand in the garden in my boxers in the middle of the night shouting ‘be quick!’

It was the command to our new pup to do a wee.

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah cycling seems to confuse people.

Taking the Dog out at 1am as he refuses to pee in the yard.

Washing the car 3 times a week, well your office is cleaned everyday isn’t it ?

Wandering around the yard in my boxers whilst on the phone.

Northwind

I say hello to mine, it seems to freak them out. Also once daringly offered to help them when their car wouldn’t start, either they are not very neighbourly or instead of saying “Hey, can I help” I accidentally said “I’m here to kill you all”

muddydwarf
    Free Member

POIDH?

bearnecessities

Washing the car 3 times a week

I don’t believe you!

Marin
    Free Member

Walking round the front garden in a red silk kimono and steel work boots talking to the Mrs in the mornings.
    Going away most weekends.

grum
    Free Member

POIDH = pics or it didn’t happen. 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Washing car when its raining …saves me carrying back and forth bucket of water from the bath. Maybe one day they will undestand 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY di any of those result in you getting shouty by any chance?

I am sorry to disappoint you.
    Both times they shouted at me – to be fair one was 6 :30 am on a Sunday as i was off cycling so I could see why they were unhappy. I get on ok with them.
    The other one got shouty and then tried to hit me and then got shouty when i stopped him with my deadly ninja skills but I did not hit him merely stopped him hitting me.
    N one gets on with them and my neighbour chinned him – another incident

Its tough in the hood …we cannot all live in a post industrial utopian hamlet

simmy
    Free Member

Washing the car 3 times a week
    I don’t believe you!

Not every week but at this time of the year I will clean it about 3 times a week, only takes 10 mins as I leave everything ready.

The cars my work so I like it being clean, gives a good impression 8)

MrNutt
    Free Member

wear their clothes, then launder them and return them to their washing line before the police arrive.

rocketman
    Free Member

Obv the biking thing goes without saying the vast majority of people simply dont get it full stop. The void between us and them is unimaginable.

An associated activity which when you take a step back and think about it is weird is testing lights in the back garden shining them on trees etc and – double weird – taking beam shots so you can post them on forums. I mean who else does that

Away from biking I always feel more than a litle self-conscious calling the cat in at night. There are a series of noises I have to make that the cat responds to but no other adult person should have to hear them. I’m always glad when i hear the familiar dull thud as the cat vaults the garden fence and comes trotting down the path.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Things you do that make your neighbours think you're weird….’ is closed to new replies.