Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Things to do with marrows?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

No sniggering at the back there, I'm looking for recipes please.

Only seem able to catch about half my courgettes before they turn into marrows – and stuffing them is getting a bit repetitive.

Anyone know any other tasty ways of using them up?

And please don't say chutney, still only a third of the way through last year's batch.

Don't let me down, chefs of STW.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Marrow and butternut squash tagine

1 lge marrow cubed 2 tsps cumin
    1 med butternut squash cubed 1 tsp chilli
    1 med onion 1 tsp powd ginger
    2 garlic cloves tbsp fresh chopped mint
    2 tbsps sultanas 400g tin tomatoes
    handful of chopped dried apricots 1/4 pint veg stock
    tin of chickpeas

Fry your onion until soft
    Add marrow, squash, garlic and all your spices, fry and coat in spices until browned.
    Chuch in apricots and sultanas, then your chickpeas.
    Stir for 2 mins then add tomatoes and hot stock, season to taste.
    Let it simmer for 20 mins or so.
    Serve with cous cous topped with fresh mint and some pitta bread.
    (If you like meat add some lamb to the stew at the beginning.)

keyses2

We're going to try turning ours into marrow rum this year 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

*is thoroughly disappointed by the lack of smut in this thread*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Perhaps littlegirlbunny should enlighten us as to what she was hoping for…

hopkinsgm

That sounds really nice LoulaBella – not sure if the slugs have died off or if they just wanted a bit more variety in their diets or something, but as I've actually got some courgettes to use at last…

mavis
    Free Member

Layers of tomato and marrow smothered in basil pesto, layer of onion & garlic then breadcrumbs and cheese on top, bake in oven then eat…yummy!

uplink
    Free Member

Marrow rum

trust me, it's good 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

hmmm, we have a huge glut of courgettes; they might be big enough to do this……

midlifecrashes

I sometimes do a variation on shepherd's pie, fry cubes of the marrow in butter first, then use as spud. Top with cheese, yummy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks all, I knew you'd come through for me.

The tagine thing is a good idea, it must really soak up the flavours. Will make one this week.

Mavis – are you cooking off the onion/garlic first?

chakaping
    Free Member

Might give the moonshine a miss though, still not touched most of last year's home-made Limoncello.

slugwash
    Free Member

Only seem able to catch about half my courgettes before they turn into marrows

We had that problem last year chakaping. We'd pop in from the garden to make a cuppa and when we went back outside all our courgettes had turned to bloody marrows 😉 This year however we've been working overtime to stop it happening and have not ended up so far with one single marrow! As I type I'm tucking into yet another plate of steamed baby courgettes.

Good luck, be brave and root through your larder for any sauces that may make marathon marrow eating a more enjoyable experience.

CountZero

I'm with littlegirlbunny on this one. Sorry lack of snigger-worth material here. I feel let down by the STW massive, for once. Shame on you all. :mrgreen:

slimtubing
    Free Member

Marrows make excellent thai yellow curries.

gohan
    Free Member

i have never used a marrow in cooking but a few years ago me and a friend made a bong out of one,

cut off top, hollow out, 3 chop sticks for legs, once you have made a hole in the top for your mouth blue tac back in place, make hole near bottom for the spliff to go in, light and smoke,

it worked suprisingly well! wish i still had the photo!

LoulaBella
    Free Member

i have never used a marrow in cooking but a few years ago me and a friend made a bong out of one,

Then when the munchies set in you can cook it!
    10 out of 10 for the organic bong!

gohan
    Free Member

we could have eaten it but we had hash cakes as well, that was one of the best nights ever! good times,

chakaping
    Free Member

Harvest time…

Made a huge batch of marrow tagine yesterday, only tasted while cooking but should be good.

Marrow thai curry is next on the list.

Then maybe a moussaka-esque dish.

AndyCh
    Free Member

I've just made a type of lemon curd using marrows instead of eggs. it's an old margurite patten recipe. it looks quite nice. she also does a recipe for damson and marrow chuttney which looks quite nice. i have a PDF of this book (from the 70s i can let you have if you want. it's a classic.

A

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Things to do with marrows?’ is closed to new replies.