Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Things that didn't dawn on you…
  • lerk
    Free Member

Just had an epiphany whilst listening to Radio 4 on the way to work this morning why all of their Twitter posts of the day are telling me about birdsong… (For those who don’t listen it’s wittily entitled “tweet of the day”)

It completely passed me by the first few times I noticed the introduction and now I feel a little dumber!

What subtle or even not so subtle things have you missed?

enfht
    Free Member

Allinson Wholemeal Bread. “Like the label says, there’s nout taken out”.

All In Son.

augustuswindsock

The arrow in the FedEx logo!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can remember the day I twigged that when you have a piece of meat you’re not eating fat, therefore it must be muscle. It’s not that I thought it was anything else before, I’d just never thought about it at all.

binarysolo
    Free Member

The pirate one eyed willy in Goonies

theotherjonv

I was in Yorkshire yesterday, sorry, T’WAS in Yorkshire, and saw an old fellow in a flat cap with a rolly perched on his bottom lip that stayed there when he talked and commented to my colleague that he looked just like Andy Capp who i used to read about in my granddad’s Daily Mirror. I think that’s the first time I’ve said it out loud which is why it occurred to me that Andy Capp = Handicap

I don’t remember him being ‘disabled’ other than being bone idle. Is he still going?

Ah the good old days of northern stereotyping working class men as drinking, fighting wife beaters!!

righog
    Free Member

That the Dance for YMCA was spelling out the letters !

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What subtle or even not so subtle things have you missed?

The fact that I was marrying an **** psychopath. It was blatantly obvious too.

slowoldman

I don’t remember him being ‘disabled’ other than being bone idle

I think his ‘andicap was that he couldn’t walk past the bookies.

nickc

As slowoldman, I understood his name to be the gambling reference.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The label: “Jonelle”

racefaceec90

that bowser is actually a turtle (and not a dragon,as i have been thinking/the giant shell should have been a give away 😳

bowser

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Karrimor. ‘Cos you can carry more.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Kaffenback, I knew there was some witticism in there but couldn’t figure it out.

brakes
    Free Member

All In Son.

is it not a reference to the the wholemeal bit?

nedrapier

That part of the reason there are so many golf courses in Surrey is that in large chunks of the county, the soil’s not much good for anything else.

No competition for land use – hardly as if they’re taking up prime arable land that’s been used for millenia, just clearing some trees on sandy, acidic soil.

Beagleboy

For years, and I mean well into my early 20’s, I assumed that every time someone talked about their ‘estranged’ husband or wife, that the poor soul had gone bonkers and been committed.

I was honestly worried about the amount of ‘estranged’ spouses out there and why marriage was driving them over the edge.

Of course, after 20 odd years with Kerry, I understand things better now. 😉

LadyGresley
    Free Member

It was only as an adult that I realised that Andy Pandy was a boy. Well, dressed like that, surely anyone could mistake him for a girl? No? Oh…

wwaswas

“Fetid Cheese” is actually spelt Feta and isn’t as bad as it sounds, despite me avoiding it for years.

My excuse is that 1970’s supermarkets didn’t stock this stuff so I’d only ever heard it said, not written down.

Onzadog
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member
    Kaffenback, I knew there was some witticism in there but couldn’t figure it out.

Still can’t.

timb34
    Free Member

Took me a while to twig that Decathlon’s bike range “B’Twin” is named as it is so that when said with a French accent it sounds like “between”… as bikes go between your legs…

wwaswas

Still can’t.

“A visit to the local Cafe and return home afterwards”

maccruiskeen

Still can’t.

To the cafe and back

nbt

Caff and Back. It’s a bike for Sunday morning café runs.

bigbeard
    Free Member

All In Son.

is it not a reference to the the wholemeal bit?[/quote]

It was started by Dr Allinson apparently!

brakes
    Free Member

B’Twin

I’m learning a lot from this thread

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Pipecleaners are for, well, cleaning pipes, not just art and crafts!

Craggyjim
    Free Member

…oh and the letter is “w” is said “double u”. Only clocked this one when learning french “doubler-vey”

globalti
    Free Member

When I first started mountain biking in 1989 I used to drive around in an empty hatchback with my bike strapped like a trophy on an expensive and fuel-wasting rack on the roof. Then one day I thought: “Why not put the bike safely inside the car? D’Oh!”

Last week I saw a bloke alone in a estate car with the bike on the roof, no kidding.

retro83
    Free Member

augustuswindsock – Member

The arrow in the FedEx logo!

Likewise A->Z in the Amazon logo.

Cougar

Moreover, the slogan was “bread wi’ nowt tekken out” – no reference to the label anywhere AFAICR.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That part of the reason there are so many golf courses in Surrey is that in large chunks of the county, the soil’s not much good for anything else.

No t necessarily. The one down the end of my road was a top class market garden before the farmer skipped off to Spain to avoid the tax man. There are 4 or 5 near me on similarly good soil. Equally there are a few on sand, but the main reason there are lots of golf courses is because of the proximity to London…

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Said this before but the word ‘Segue’ is the word “segway” I’d been using alongside “seeg” for about 33 years of my life. Like a dick.

Also the word misled is pronounced “miss-led”. Not “myz-uld” as I’d been reading it until a few years ago.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Kaffenback – really? I was expecting so much more.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Last week I saw a bloke alone in a estate car with the bike on the roof, no kidding.

I know people who do this, me on occasion, I have other stuff in my boot.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

that every parent is winging it just like you are.

bigblackshed

Gary_M – Member

I know people who do this, me on occasion, I have other stuff in my boot.[/quote]

And me. The boot is full of riding kit, if I put the seats flat then the drivers seat needs to go too far forward to get my legs in. Being of normal height, 6’4″, this wouldn’t be a problem if the world wasn’t made for people requiring growth hormones.

matt_outandabout

Gary_M – Member

I had an empty Ford Galaxy (apart from my man bag) with a four bike tow-ball rack with one child’s bike on yesterday. I am a bad man.

dday

Mmm, I read somewhere that Kaffenback is something that happens when she doesn’t spit, if you get my drift.

angeldust
    Free Member

This is a joke, right? So many reasons why he may have been doing this, all of which you could not possible know about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Things that didn't dawn on you…’ is closed to new replies.