Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Thieving Bristol scum convinced me that owning just 1 bike is the best policy
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Great, just lost my 3rd bike in the last 4 weeks. this time my fault (propped up outside the bakers for 2 minutes while I bought a loaf).

If anyone spots a couple of kids in baseball caps (LOL!!) riding a red Prince Albert, kick them in the nuts for me. They took it from outside the Golden Lion / Joe’s Bakery on Gloucester Road at about 4.45pm and headed up Berkeley Road. the police are out now looking. Got them on CCTV too, so you never know.

So, my fleet is now down to just 1 bike, I’ve lost my Prince Albert, Spesh Enduro and Epic this year. Dont think I can claim for this one and getting insurance for next year is going to be a mare. This has got to me the most too, having built the bike up just how I liked it, can replace it off the shelf like the others.

What the fek is wrong with people? Pointless question I know, but this is really starting to ____ me off. It isnt safe to own anything of value around here, time to move to the country I think.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that is proper shit.

i’ve got to say, though, i wouldn’t leave any of my bikes anywhere i couldn’t see them without something locking them to something else, preferably locked inside something… presumably you won’t even get insurance claim for that?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

yeah, yeah, I know, stupid of me

MrAgreeable

Utterly, utterly rubbish! I’ll keep an eye out for it and bung a stick in their spokes if I see them riding past. Is it the old style PA with the extra strut or the new one? Any further description, or pics?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i felt a bit bad for posting that, as it’s not very helpful – sorry!

Burts
    Free Member

My sister & boyfriend were visiting last week and borrowed both my old Merlin Malt and my wife’s Giant XTC to do some sightseeing around town. Locked them to a bike rack outside a museum, 15mins later a dude turns up with boltcroppers to snip the Krptonite steel cable and has them away in seconds. Witnesses saw them go but didn’t do anything, police took statements but I know we won’t see them again.

So its the Heckler and only the Heckler for me now, and time to go bike shopping for the missus.

As my sister put it: “The good news is that you don’t have to clean your bike this weekend; the bad news is that you don’t have a bike anymore.”

singletracksurfer

scummers.

Brizol is nice and hilly, start leaving the brakes undone.

BlurRider
    Free Member

in london were i live,i take my bike in every shop that will let me

singletracksurfer

oh apologies, forgot to offer my condolences for the loss of your PA as well.

Its crap that you can’t even leave your bike just a few metres from you for a minute. Me thinks you need a sting operation in Bristol.

T1000
    Free Member

don’t give up hope…I got my Epic back in Bristol, the boy’s in blue found it in a crack dealers house in Knowle…..the key thing in getting it back was my detailed description and that despite the sc#m b#g changing the saddle, tyres and believe it or not a kick stand! it was distinctive enough to trace

although i wish the kn#b hadn’t pressure washed everything to death hubs, bb, headset, f&R shocks and pivots.

Bristol’s a nightmare my bike was secured in the basement of PWC’s building but the security guard let the scummer in (then denied everything and PWC covered everything up…)

bomberman
    Free Member

borrowed both my old Merlin Malt and my wife’s Giant XTC to do some sightseeing around town

you shouldn’t really have let them go for a pootle round town on your fancy mountain bikes. That’s quite a naive thing to do. i wouldn’t even take my bike into town. it stays in the house unless i’m taking it mountain biking

bomberman
    Free Member

i do feel bad for you though i’ve had a few bikes nicked from leeds. I also had one returned by the police so don’t give up hope. could be a good excuse to build a rat bike for town and shops duties

noteeth
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

A few years back, whilst sitting upstairs in the Watershed, we spotted various scum “working” on bikes locked up on the other side of the harbour.

Cue red mist and surprise ambush in force… 👿

A small victory.

thepodge
    Free Member

rat bikes for town are the way forward. as are front brakes only, on the wrong side of the bars, plus i never used my granny ring so fixed it so shifting into that gear threw the chain off onto the bb shell. always great to see someone’s legs spin at a million miles an hour but get no where then go head over heals when they use the brakes

Burts
    Free Member

you shouldn’t really have let them go for a pootle round town on your fancy mountain bikes. That’s quite a naive thing to do. i wouldn’t even take my bike into town. it stays in the house unless i’m taking it mountain biking

I know, I know. The wife and I know to never leave such bikes unguarded in town but my sister asked to take the bikes for a ride around the local park one day so we happily agreed, no problem. The next day they took them to the museum without saying anything, so we didn’t get a chance to warn them about such things and as non-bikers they assumed a strong lock would be enough. Ha ha, if only!

Burts
    Free Member

as are front brakes only, on the wrong side of the bars

My only consolation is that I’m currently in Vancouver, so the thief was probably expecting the front brake to be on the left. I really, really like to think that he might have gone over the bars before he found out it was on the right.

goog
    Free Member

(propped up outside the bakers for 2 minutes while I bought a loaf).

I hope it was the best loaf ever made that was on offer for you to leave your bike ouside the shop

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

thats bas news mate i hope the rozzers do find it and you do get it back!!

as for the epic with a kick stand that made me laugh just the thought of it (not the theft)

thepodge
    Free Member

as are front brakes only, on the wrong side of the bars

[quote]
    My only consolation is that I’m currently in Vancouver, so the thief was probably expecting the front brake to be on the left. I really, really like to think that he might have gone over the bars before he found out it was on the right.[/quote] i HAVE to run the front brake on the right otherwise it creates interesting times when i switch to the motorbike

HTTP404
    Free Member

Theft is treated too leniently in this country.
    If it were Saudi there hands would be off.
    If it were Singapore they’d be flogged.

Best bet is to move.

MrNutt
    Free Member

shit news, post a picture up of it, someone may spot it?

don’t leave your bike unlocked, not even for bread, but I guess you know that one now 🙁

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

pic of PA

[jpg]http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2315/94/117/670282779/n670282779_2102082_1505.jpg[/jpg]

not too many matching exactly that description in Bristol.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ooops

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

anyone want to recommend a replacement for £1000 so that I can use my works Cycle Scheme? P7 would have been nice maybe, dont know if I can buy parts and build another PA up under that scheme?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I know this wont help but its not just Bristol.I drive around Cheltenham for a living.See these two scumy man and woman most days riding around on crap bikes,then tonight riding home see them again the guy is on a Cannondale bad boy,so someones lost a nice bike.They dont work so they hardly going to spend £500 on a bike.What can you do,i would start chopping there limbs off hand caught once,then other hand caught twice and so on,they wouldnt do it again in a hurry,maybe abit extreme but something got to be done.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the theft, hopefully a shiny new bike will make up for it 🙂

Our company did bike to work without using cyclescheme, direct with LBS. We could have custom bikes, but it had to be a full bike (this part is slightly discretionary, but we wanted to follow the rules). I would have thought that cyclescheme would be the same, don’t they just issue a voucher to the shop selling the bike? If it helps, I think my LBS have a nice Sanderson frame in for £50? Could be a starter…

Moses

That’s a bummer. Hope that Karma attacks them – especially since I live just down the road.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks everyone, shit happens. I’ll be more careful next time.

grahamh
    Free Member

In the 3 years I lived in Bristol, I lost 3 bikes. My conclusion was
    to have 0 bikes then the scum bags couldn’t steal it.

chakaping
    Free Member

anyone want to recommend a replacement for £1000 so that I can use my works Cycle Scheme? P7 would have been nice maybe, dont know if I can buy parts and build another PA up under that scheme?

You might consider getting a complete bike from somewhere like Merlin and swap the frame for a PA.

Gutted for you, sounds like Bristol is the best and the worst place to live if you’re a cyclist.

wonnyj
    Free Member

If I’d just lost two bikes, I don’t think I’d be leaving the 3rd one unlocked outside shops! In Bristol!!

Off to the spar now to buy some milk, will take lock.

hora
    Free Member

The ONLY place that I lock my commuter is outside the gym window. There are security regularly driving round Sport city (Man City grounds) and they’d be abit silly taking abike from there considering it could be one of the nutters who use the gym.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m thinking P7 Pro as a replacement, but like the Merlin idea….

dot
    Free Member

This story was in the Manchester Evening News – the other day, it sounds as if the Bristol force need one officer who has bike theft investigation as a large part of their remit (maybe they do already?!) Bristol really does sound terrible for bike theft at the moment though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This story was in the Manchester Evening News – the other day, it sounds as if the Bristol force need one officer who has bike theft investigation as a large part of their remit (maybe they do already?!) Bristol really does sound terrible for bike theft at the moment though.

We do, but it’s early days and they appear to be on a learning curve at the moment.

That’s proper shit about the PA, I’ll keep an eye out for it.

At the moment I’m fighting and winning (subject to checking this morning) a battle with a gang of thieving **** who have repeatedly attacked my garage over the last 8 weeks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t it time a few of you Bristolians got your heads together and set a baited trap? Nice MTB, theft hotspot, sit and wait?

tails
    Free Member

Isn’t it time a few of you Bristolians got your heads together and set a baited trap? Nice MTB, theft hotspot, sit and wait?

i agree rough justice is the only thing this lot understand, so give’em what they want.

FOG

Careful with that, a mate of mine was paying for petrol for his enduro bike when some scrotes tried to nick it. Luckily it was an XR600 and they couldn’t start it so he rushed out and started larruping the pair until their mates jumped out of a Nova[!!] with a baseball bat and enabled them to escape. When the police came they told him it was lucky they had gone cos my mate would have been done for assault! Aah sweet justice

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

the police have left some “bait” outside Horfield prison over the last 2 weeks, but it’s so obvious. 2 £50 full suss halfords specials. No one touched them. I leave my PA alone for 2 minutes in exactly the same area and it’s gone. I do have CCTV pictures of them, hopefully the police can do something with that.

feeling stupid and bikeless this morning, browsing the web for a replacement hard tail / commuter

amedias
    Free Member

its utter rubbish, sorry you lost your bike.

to put some perspective on it, a year or two ago I snapped the key off in my lock so walkied home, came back with a toolset and my mates small blowtorch and spent the next 20mins stealing my own bike, not once did anyone try to stop me and believe it or not a police car actually drove past while i was working on it.

There really is no sense of community, i wonder what would happen if they saw someone breaking into a house….

matt

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Thieving Bristol scum convinced me that owning just 1 bike is the best policy’ is closed to new replies.