Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Thieving Barstewards – Foiled – But Be Warned
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Last night about 3am some thieving getts tried to break into my garage, obviously after the bikes. No doubt they’d spotted the bike rack on the back of the car which I’d put on ready for this mornings outings.

I can’t beleive they tried given I’d parked the car so close to the garage that they wouldn’t be able to open the garage door fully.

But they tried none the less and managed to force the locked handle, however they got a shock when the house alarm went off as soon as they’d lifted the door beyond 1cm.

Even if they’d got in they wouldn’t be able to get past the Gold Secure wall anchor and motorbike chain. The best they could have done was get the wheels off the bikes, that’s if they could work out a through axle.

Two points. I do feel vindicated that the security worked but a word of warning this Christmas. Bikes are one of the top items on the thieves hit list and there’s loads of thieving about. This was the second time this week they’ve tried to get into sheds, garages and cars this week when we’ve never had any incidents for 12 years !

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Even if they’d got in they wouldn’t be able to get past the Gold Secure wall anchor and motorbike chain. The best they could have done was get the wheels off the bikes, that’s if they could work out a through axle.

Nope, they’ll just cut through the frame, leave the lock and chain behind hanging in the breeze and flog the components on ebay at their leisure 😕

maxray
    Free Member

I have a feeling they tend to roam. We had a real state about 3 years ago and not a sausage (touch wood) since.

excitable1
    Free Member

Nope, they’ll just cut through the frame, leave the lock and chain behind hanging in the breeze and flog the components on ebay at their leisure

😯 WTF… never heard of that !

Friend of mine has a security firm that fits systems in embassys. F in camera going up tomorrow ! 😈

4ndyB
    Free Member

They’ll just cut through the frame, leave the lock and chain behind hanging in the breeze and flog the components on ebay at their leisure

Quite a common practice, the frame is easier to cut then the locks and when there’s hundreds of pounds worth of parts excluding the frame it’s the quick easy option for them.

I have seen a Boardman bike minus a 3″ piece of seat tube with a stereotypical scally riding it around a couple of years ago

globalti
    Free Member

Our garage is alarmed and the up and over door has locks at the top and both bottom corners so it would take a big effort to break it open. Our neighbours opposite work from home and they sit all day watching our house. I’m still worried about it though as there are burglaries around here so I’ve just enquired with our household insurance co as to the cost of adding the bikes to the policy.

To my amazement they quoted: for unspecified bikes up to £6000 in value….. £45 a year! Swinton, in case you’re interested.

allthepies
    Free Member

They now know you have things of value in there, the genie is out of the bottle.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Assume they all have one of these, and prepare accordingly.
    http://www.power-tools-pro.co.uk/lithium-power-tools-lithium-angle-grinders-c-335_339.html

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I had a bike nicked from Canary Warf in similar fashion, lock left hanging so the must have cut the frame.

Canary Warf has a lot of CCTV and my bike was right in from of a camera… but the police were not interested enough to even look through it.

allthepies – Member
    They now know you have things of value in there, the genie is out of the bottle.

^^^ This

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’m ringing Swinton this morning. At £45 per year, seems too good to be true!

curvature
    Free Member

Five Pro and my wife’s Cannondale £4k insured for £30 as named items.

Esure home insurance.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Seems fair to me. If a little extreme.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Canary Warf has a lot of CCTV and my bike was right in from of a camera… but the police were not interested enough to even look through it.

I know this has been said a lot on here in the past, but why? Surely it’s time for the police to recognise that high-end bike theft involves sums similar to lower-end GTA and treat it accordingly – particularly if the crime included breaking in to someone’s house or garage?

I’ve luckily never had a bike stolen, so have never had to deal with the police, but the number of experiences people on here seem to have had of “it’s only a bike” is pretty disappointing.

Taff
    Free Member

It’s getting worrying the amount of bikes thefts. Although I’m a mid terrace and got 6′ fences with leylandii around the bottom fence I’m goi g to get an alarm. Although I’m insured I don’t want to go through the invasion of privacy

Nonsense
    Free Member

The police probably did go through the CCTV footage, although not necessarily at the time they took the report. CCTV rarely gives footage good enough to make a positive identification from. Bike theft is very important to the individual but the police have to make a judgement call on which types of crime to prioritise. Therefore rape, terrorism, murder, robbery (theft using violence), and residential burglary are all seen as more important and get more resources. Where I work we catch dozens of bike thieves a week (without beating them up), however the criminal justice system is at absolute breaking point. This means that most of them are given a fine, juvenile reprimand, drug treatment order or community sentence. This means they are back out stealing again thesame day they are caught. Blaming the police is in my experience often a misguided perception of inaction based on reading the daily mail and believing what you read on the Internet, or anything Elfin types. As for those people saying that if you touch anyone stealing a bike you’ll end up in Alcatraz making sweet love to Jona Lomu read up on S.3 Criminal Law Act.

excitable1
    Free Member

Hopefully not quite.. as soon as they lifted the door beyond it’s catch the alarm went off and my bikes are hanging from the ceiling at the back so they would have needed a torch.

If they peered underneath then all they would have seen as Lightning McQueen’ face smiling back at them (sons go kart !).

excitable1
    Free Member

To my amazement they quoted: for unspecified bikes up to £6000 in value….. £45 a year! Swinton, in case you’re interested.

Check the small print, then check it again then speak to them and ask them to confirm….

Most of the household insurance companies specify that the bikes need to be chained to an immoveable object with a Sold Secure Gold lock (Some don’t specify the lock) if they are being stored in a garage over night. They are also only covered for theft if there is proof of forced and violent entry, so if you forget to lock up one night you’re not covered, or if someone takes your bike while you’re round the back during the day, again you’re not covered.

I used Morethan this year. Specified the exact bikes, bikes are covered almost everywhere and didn’t cost too much extra on the contents. I’m even covered if I fall off and break the bike !

poly
    Free Member

Hopefully not quite.. as soon as they lifted the door beyond it’s catch the alarm went off and my bikes are hanging from the ceiling at the back so they would have needed a torch.

They now know there is something in that garage which you were prepared to go to higher than average lengths to protect. If I understood correctly your sheds and cars have been tampered with recently (or perhaps thats neighbours?). In which case I’d guess they’ve probably been watching coming and goings and have a reasonably idea what they are looking for. I’d be worried about leaving the property unoccupied at all in the coming weeks, as whilst an alarm will alert your neighbours a good thief can probably be in and out a garage in the middle of the night before your neighbours have started to investigate.

sobriety
    Free Member

Bring the bikes into the house, and store a wolverine/honey badger/angry rottweiler in the garage. Don’t feed it.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Im with the claymore idea!

Personally i keep my bikes in the house as i don’t feel my shed or garage are secure enough.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Bring the bikes into the house, and store a wolverine/honey badger/angry rottweiler in the garage. Don’t feed it.

Great call on the honey badger. They’re really pretty badass.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg[/video]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Thieving Barstewards – Foiled – But Be Warned’ is closed to new replies.