Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Handy Bike Shop Skill No 3…. Street Fighting
  • charliedontsurf

Another landmark as a shopkeeper: street fighting on a Monday lunchtime.

short but big bloke jumped one of our nicest customers outside the shop with fists flying. Cut to his face, blood, rolling in the street, then with me diving in and kneeling on him, customer had his head in a leg-lock, and four police cars on there way. Both of us did a good job, restrained him without actually punching et…c. The neighbours helped, police were good too, cheers. Arrested but lurking around outside the shop within an hour… and claiming we jumped him !!!!!

CCTV and “other” security now upgraded.

Swanage and the shop are such nice places to be. It really **** me off when a minority bring their shit to town.

I’m not only hundreds of £££s down on security, lost a day of work, a bit scuffed… But also this is MY damned shop where my family and friends work. It’s a cool place, taken years and years to get here and anything other than cool can **** off.

On the upside it’s sincerely good, nice and right damn it to step in and stop this pernicious pointless bollocks pedalled by equally pointless people.

alfabus
    Free Member

well done for helping and good luck for avoiding the scumbag’s attentions in future.

any reason for the attack? robbery? unprovoked?

Dave

yossarian
    Free Member

Did he know the customer he attacked or was it a random pissed up style thing?

Anyway good work, there are twunts everywhere unfortunately. Better get some bombers 😉

bruneep

Can we hear his side of the story, before the kangaroo court sits?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this Charlie, what a dick! Glad to hear the community was supportive.
    I hope his ‘lurking’ doesn’t evolve into further weirdness.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what was your chap jumped for? personal or random attack on the rob?

also expect many a comment about how you did it wrong, how the criminal is right, how you shouldnt use violence and how you should have done a thing and watched etc and how everyone on here would have done it differently etc etc etc

tonyd

Nice. Is the scrote a local?

It’s a shame you’ve had to but a good thing to upgrade security, sounds like you might need a bit of CCTV to stop him putting your windows in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You did it wrong

The criminal is right.

You shouldnt use violence

I’m sure everyone would have done it differently (however being a niche bike shop you’re probably used to that feeling).

AndyRT
    Free Member

Good effort! Not what you expect in Swanage 😯

wwaswas

Did you not have any Bombers to hand?

thepurist

Did nobody have a pair of Bombers to hand? Tsk.

Damn you wwaswas!!! 😀

wwaswas

:mrgreen:

project
    Free Member

As above, wonder what the other ides story is.

Violence is only there for a reason,

thomthumb
    Free Member

must be the most drama swanage has seen for a few years 😉

Arrested but lurking around outside the shop within an hour

have you told the police?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

You did it wrong

The criminal is right.

I’m sure everyone would have done it differently (however being a niche bike shop you’re probably used to that feeling).

😆 he probably deserved it then, the niche SS that is

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your story Charlie.
    Earlier this year I barred a pair of local pikeys for stealing. Occasionally they come back intent on taking the p155 and I sometimes wonder if that will ever escalate into uglier.

z1ppy

not to make too light of a serious situation, but maybe he should have read this page

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

also expect many a comment about how you did it wrong, how the criminal is right, how you shouldnt use violence and how you should have done a thing and watched etc and how everyone on here would have done it differently etc etc etc

Why would you expect that? Is it cos you’ve misinterpreted/used selective interpretation of stuff others have said and allowed your prejudice to influence your onions, rather than being objective and considering things from all angles, maybe?

You did it wrong

The criminal is right.

Another one putting words into other peole’s mouths without actually thinking about things a bit first… 🙄

Sounds like the OP used reasonable force in detaining a person who was being violent and posing a danger to public safety, nothing more. Well done Charlie, and hope things sort themselves out in a positive way.

As for the hard of thinking, try considering things like the legal implications of using violence before you post rubbish on here.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Why would you expect that? Is it cos you’ve misinterpreted/used selective interpretation of stuff others have said and allowed your prejudice to influence your onions, rather than being objective and considering things from all angles, maybe?

i expect it cos its singletrackworld forum innit – everyone is better than everybody else or tries to put their own ridiculous spin on things to appear better than the previous comment…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Swanage, bloomin ek, bet that got the net curtains twitching.
    But Swanage is tiny, sleepy, ok full of locals but you can’t hold that against them..
    Must have come over from Poole, they eat thier young there dontchaknow.

What a funny story.

😆

Bikerat
    Free Member

yet another reminder of how “Great” Britain is. Is it no longer safe to buy goodies from your LBS?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

so it took at least 4 policeman

A few members of the public

The shop owner

The original customer,

To restrain a man who attacked somebody in broad daylight, and 1 hour later he,s stood outside your shop.

The worlds gone mad.

thered

Merchant-Banker is right, wtf is going on

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Another one putting words into other peole’s mouths without actually thinking about things a bit first…

I think the irony was lost somewhere in the server? I copies and pasted the post above Stateing “someone will be allong in a minute to say………..”

tonyd

How does one influence ones onions? I just behaved in a very prejudiced way towards one and it didn’t seem bothered (although the turnip next to it did look somewhat perplexed).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you need to be more subtle. Onions are, despite their appearance, quite thick skinned well it’s not so much the thickness as the multiple layers. Takes an awful lot to really under one’s skin.

Turnips are a bit dense and therefore easily perturbed. Most things confuse them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

i expect it cos its singletrackworld forum innit – everyone is better than everybody else or tries to put their own ridiculous spin on things to appear better than the previous comment…

What, like what you did you mean?

billyboy
    Free Member

Bruneep

You don’t understand…this is Charlie the bikemonger…I’ve met him….if he says it…then that’s how it was.

You gotta have faith man…or the whole world will fall apart…and the evil ones will win

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Not what you expect in Swanage

More like Wareham.

Was there some mental health / substance abuse angle?

charliedontsurf

Wow and sincerely thank you all. Its a dark ish place to be. There has been some escalation, but also a lot of support. Thank you.

Answers:
    Scrote but no youngster.
    Local but in Purbeck local is 5 generations minimum so not local.
    Ambushed, waiting, premeditated.
    Cockbag
    Fat
    Pretty **** ugly.
    Reason: history but manufactured, unjustified, unsupported and entirely BS
    Some of you will know Dave who was attacked from sswc Ireland. Nice chap.
    CCTV: yeah basic system in within hours and £1,000 + system arrives tomorrow. Old steel dh bars within reach.
    Now escalating with threats, I could have kicked his balls clean off, broken jaw, snapped his fingers back etc but shoved him off and sat on him. Not a Mark on him other than bleeding knuckles. Kinda proud how we both played clean instinctevly…

charliedontsurf

And dispite all this crap, every parcel went out on time.
    Business as “usual”.

MisterT

go charlie, go charlie …. whoop whoop!!! 8)

I’ve been there myself, many years ago in late teens when I worked for Bike Tech Bristol.. we used to have some dodgy geezers trying to jump customers as they unlocked their bikes outside. Ended up doing exactly the same to restrain the prat.

it’s called a citizens arrest. 😉

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Have you spoken to the police again?

Surely, if they arrested him earlier they know where he lives and could do him for threatening behaviour?

Do you have witnesses to the escalation?

I’ve more than a casual interest as I do in fact live in Wareham and have had cause to get the police involved in sorting out some anti-social behaviour in our street.

MrSparkle

Good man Charlie. I hope it get’s sorted out or blows over.

bedmaker

I’m guessing that, like me, he replied to your offer of free stickers a while back but didn’t get any. Unlike me, he allowed that injustice to fester to the point where he raged out of control.(and he lives a bit nearer you than I do) 🙂

wwaswas

Report him to the police every time Charlie – if there’s evidence of ongoing ‘misbehaviour’ he’s far more likely to get up before a judge rather than just a warning/£80 ticket.

It’s pretty shit when you don’t feel safe in your workplace unless you have a weapon and a £1k cctv system in place 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i think he did remarkebly well myself! hats off to you old boy!

did i read it wrong above its between the two chaps involved? previous history? wasnt just some random theft like attack but a personal attack for another reason than stealing his bike etc?

acjim
    Free Member

And dispite all this crap, every parcel went out on time.
    Business as “usual”.

Had to say that was the 1st thing on my mind as I ordered a bender fender from you yesterday – don’t let brawling get in the way of my (self) important ecommerce!

(sorry to hear about the nonsense, hopefully it will never happen again)

billyboy
    Free Member

Keep doing it Charlie

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Handy Bike Shop Skill No 3…. Street Fighting’ is closed to new replies.