Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thetfords getting flatter
  • boxbuster
    Free Member

Went to Thetford yesterday with a friend with a new xc bike and noticed that they appear to have closed one of the lines into one of the pits, not a particularly difficult line unless your solely an xc rider, just a small drop. Would have thought with Thetford being so flat they would have wanted to keep the small pits open to break up the trails as there a bit “towpath” like and more for fitness than fun. Anyone know if there going to start closing the pits down?

letmetalktomark

The best riding around Thetford/Brandon is off piste.

There have been a couple of nasty accidents of late as a result of the bomb holes so maybe its a risk thing.

Failing that they do get really cut up in the wet so maybe it will re open.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

That entrance is closed, until they can find a way of making it safer – has been far too many accidents on that line, the last put the rider in a wheelchair for the rest of his life after hitting the drop wrong.

boxbuster
    Free Member

Thats not nice to hear, actually kind of scarey that something i’d dismissed as not to difficult has the potential to put someone in a wheelchair!! thanks for letting me know

Jaz1979
    Free Member

Boxbuster, are you a regular rider down at Thetford? Check out http://www.timbermtb.org we are the trail building group down in Thetford, we’ve got lots of plans to improve the facilities we just need more like minded people to get involved. As they say many hands make light work….

AverageMark
    Free Member

Sorry, are we talking about the pit at the end of the Red? and when was the accident with the rider?. I only ask because in the middle of Summer myself and a mate where coming to the end of the red when we heard someone calling for help, was a chap and his mate. I went off to guide the Ambulance in and we checked back a little later. Never did hear the outcome but it didn’t look clever at the time. I was on a Swift.

jonostevens
    Free Member

As Jaz says, check out the Timber website. There is some interesting stuff on the pit closure on there, esp in the forum.

I know its flat and unfashionable, but I like Thetford.

boxbuster
    Free Member

I was a regular Thetford rider until the loss of my license!! Now i only go there when someone else is off that way, the fact it’s flat isn’t a bad thing as it means theres virtually no climbs!! The friend in question is a timber member but he dosn’t wear a helmet for xc due to bad headaches/migraines and only wears it for dh/jumping for five minutes at a time, apparently he asked if he could join them on a ride and was given a very condescending answer from the chairman about how he should see his gp and how he shouldn’t ride without a helmet whilst learning to ride a bike,(he’s absolutely awesome on a bike!!). He did tell me there was a rumour of a pump track being built there, any truth in that? that’d be a pretty cool addition for Thetford

colournoise

There are some plans for a pump track. Check the TIMBER forum for current state of play.

slainte 🙂 rob

dekadanse
    Free Member

However, Rendlesham Forest (East of Ipswich and Woodbridge) does have a pump track and is generally as much fun with as many trails as Thetford – just less well known. See the TROG website.

Sandwich

Dekadanse shh. Nothing to see there move along.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Thetfords getting flatter’ is closed to new replies.