Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • There's a new Uuni pizza oven
  • bruneep

Its in shed

https://www.facebook.com/groups/652135961591112/search/?query=flame%20guard

Its sort of like these ^ but no as refined, a shaped bit of stainless steel that I got from guy at work.

theotherjonv

Pretty much sorted now

Flame thrower starter was the highlight for youngest, but saves a lot of faff.

Better pellet control, less cooling down and going into ‘new pope’ mode.

Upped the pizza base size – we were struggling on Fri to get the dough stretched out to ca 12″ so went up from the 170g recommended on Uuni to ca 200 and that was perfect.

Some interesting combos selected by people, but general consensus among the adults was that 3 cheese (mozza, goat and blue) and chicken and basil FTW.

Only ‘Even better if’ was – I need another peel, so the next pizza can be loaded onto the peel while one’s on turning duties – stretching and topping on a board and then trying to get that onto the peel whole can be tough; and allied to that it can be solved with lots of flour under the pizza, but then that burns and goes a bit bitter. But apparently rice flour doesn’t burn / isn’t as bitter so will be getting a bag of that for dusting duties.

It’s addictive though, isn’t it!! Last night I couldn’t face another pizza, today……

(oh and a meme I saw on the Uuni page; if you had a choice – eat pizza every day for the rest of your life but in return be really fat and unhealthy. What would you choose – margherita or four seasons?)

harrytoo
    Free Member

Humour me here…..

Assume nothing gets precooked? so thin slices of chicken, chorizo, pepperoni, etc are cooked through in 60 seconds?

Looking forward to a chilled weekend of riding and recovery pizza……

Drac

Pre-cook the chicken unless you want a squirty bum.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Pre-cook the chicken unless you want a squirty bum.

Thought that had to be the case…..

convert

With a lovely sunny weekend, and in a moment of weakness, my hand was hovering over the buy now for a Unni 3. Then in an even bigger moment of inability to say no I remembered this thread, looked at the Uuni pro and threw $499 at the Idiegogo offer/crowd fund deal and got suckered in. Too late for the ‘early bird’ offer obviously but going by the comments the late adopters should get theirs from the first shipment too and production looks like it is in full swing.

I hope I don’t live to regret it.

JoeG
    Free Member

I ordered a Uuni 3 last night…

harrytoo
    Free Member

Really enjoying ours, could never go back now to plastic supermarket pizzas.

Has anyone found an alternative to the Uuni pellets? They work out at £25 / 10 kg bag including postage, Wildstoves have “Premium Pellets for Uuni” at £21 / bag….. anything cheaper?

bamboo
    Free Member

A friend who has one gets his pellets from plumbase

theotherjonv

picking up a bag of plumbase ones at the weekend so will let you know. The Uuni community facebook page says they’re OK even if they are softwood i.o beech. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=uuni%20community

Also got 2kg from Amazon, as stopgap.

The Uuni official are expensive, particularly with £7 delivery, for what they are. But I can gorge a family with pizza on about £2 worth so it’s still not a huge outlay.

Pizza day saturday, will take some photos for this thread if I can.

woffle
    Free Member

Has anyone found an alternative to the Uuni pellets? They work out at £25 / 10 kg bag including postage, Wildstoves have “Premium Pellets for Uuni” at £21 / bag….. anything cheaper?

I bought some generic ‘Premium Wood Pellets’ that pop up occasionally on Amazon – 100% oak – work a treat and I think there were about £16 for a 10kg bag. Prime delivery too.

popstar
    Free Member

Looking at this thread with interest. Didn’t jump into pizza oven malarkey as can’t decide which one to go for … Uuni Pro vs Roccbox. Same price both of them. It will become garden furniture. Tempted to go Roccbox as I like its dual fuel option included in basic price.

So far, using “pizza steel” thick sheet instead of ceramic stones and getting decent results out of kitchen oven. Not quite Leopard skin pizzas as temperatures are different but crust is good and proper throughout whole base of pizza, no soggy bottoms.

Guess after buying proper pizza oven, won’t need “pizza steel” anymore. Only if my wife liked camping etc, then choice would be so simpler with Uuni.

JoeG
    Free Member

Uuni arrived today. Since I hadn’t made any dough ahead of time, I had to cheat. I bought a couple of dough balls form a local pizza chain. 🙂

It seems nice, easy to put together. The stone has a visible crack in it though still in one piece. 😐

I have propane torch, so no problem getting it lit. My problem was stretching the dough. 😕 Basically, I couldn’t! 😳

So my first 2 pizzas (each 1/4 of a large pizza dough ball) are thick and not very round. 😡

Still tasty, though! :mrgreen:

theotherjonv

didn’t do photos, no time as one of the party is dieting and didn’t want pizza, so i was also barbecuing some chicken at the same time.

Plumbase wood pellets – perception was they were a bit smokier but that could just as easily be weather, was very still and a bit of breeze helps in my opinion if you get it behind the oven so the firebox is in the wind. But only when topping up the fire hopper, it soon cleared with a bit of a blow.

Pizzas were all fine though, just don’t cook while the oven’s in ‘new pope’ mode.

Only other issue was one of the kids (not mine) shaped and topped a pizza and then left it in reach of a greedy cockapoo and the spaniel in her had it wolfed down in seconds. I wasn’t concerned but the wife googled dogs eating raw pizza dough and apparently can be very harmful if the yeast gut ferments. We watched her carefully until gone midnight with no ill effects apparent (apart from all the extra energy a bonus pizza gives a dog) and she seems fine this morning too so looks like we got away with it but it was a bit fraught because as well as doing pizzas and barbecue I was supposed to be watching the dog too, while others sat and chatted.

She (dog) is currently flat on her back asleep in her basket, and thinks it was the best day ever.

benp1

My 11mth old lab ate a whole batch of dough, i made enough for 3 adults and 2 kids and he ate the whole damn lot the bastard. Thankfully I’d made a huge load so I could split it in two and freeze half, so I used the other half.

Dog had a dodgy tummy for a few days, some probiotic paste from the vet and a diet of plain rice fixed him right up.

He inhaled the whole lot in less than 30 seconds!

theotherjonv

another resurrection. Had a quiet night this week so had a bit of a cook for technique’s sake, but also including making flammkuechen.

I know you can bulk and batch freeze dough, so you’re prepared but this can be made and go straight to cooking in half an hour.

400g flour / 220g water / 10g salt / 20ml olive oil. No yeast, no rise. Roll it out flat (yes, roll – traditional shape is a square / oval) and top with fromage frais or creme fraiche, thinly sliced bacon, this sliced onions, and cook as usual. Add cheese or mushrooms if you want……

(I also tried cheat’s pizza using a tortilla as a base…… works, but you have to keep the toppings very sparse and basic because if you have to wait for them to cook or melt for long then the base is crisped to hell)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive joined the Uuni club!!
    Very ambitious first attempt in 35+mph winds this evening struggled to get it quite hot enough.. slight improvisation with a heat gun to really get it fired up..

theotherjonv

Good job especially for a first go! It looks pretty good to me, mine are typically a bit darker crusted but it looks done through. Quite a bit of flour on the base (for rolling out I assume) – go careful because that can burn and goes bitter, I use rice flour to prevent the bases sticking to the peel, it’s ‘grittier’ so allows the base to roll off better for less used, and whatever ends up on the base or stone has a higher burn temp.

It’s fun isn’t it!

cloudnine
    Free Member

The flour was more from the peel than the base but great tip for the rice flour 8)

Ive been messing round making pizza and dough for a few years in the oven but the Uuni is another league!! Im already starting to plan a shelter for winter pizza action…

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘There's a new Uuni pizza oven’ is closed to new replies.