• This topic has 117 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • The Wire
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

In response to the OP, watch 1 & 2 first. Mos def.

I’ve only recently got into The Wire having heard and read a lot of rave reviews. They were not wrong.

We watched an episode (or 2) of series 1 every night recently and loved it. We are now doing the same with series 2 and half way through. Some fantastic characters and excellent dialogue. Addictive viewing.

Bunk: I’m just a humble man with a big dick
    Lester: You give yourself too much credit
    Bunk: You’re right, I’m not humble at all

Also had to laugh at the ****, ****, ****, murder investigation scene posted above. Great stuff.

binners

Get ready for some late nights. As the credits roll and you look at each other

“shall we put another on?
    “go on then”

The work of unbridled genius. Utterly compelling viewing. It makes you realise how few program makers treat their audience like they actually possess something between their ears

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

“shall we put another on?
    “go on then

That’s how it rolls. I’m working up to starting back at the beginning again.

sc-xc

Blimey. That’s some unprecedented STW agreement!

Reserved s1 from the local library….looking forward to it.

v8ninety

The main thing I like about the wire is the complete lack of one dimensional characters. There are no ‘goodies’ or ‘baddies’, every character has both flaws and redeeming features. Even the most brutal and ice cold killers demonstrate a remarkable humanity, and the cops are a very long way from perfect. You feel the loss of characters keenly, no matter which side of the tracks they hailed from.

“How you expect to run wit the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring wit the puppies?” – Omar

meddle
    Free Member

Even the most brutal and ice cold killers demonstrate a remarkable humanity

Marlo?

To the OP, You’ve got your answer, watch the show and never look into The Wire on IMDB or anywhere until you’ve finished it, might spoil a few things. I saw a thread on IMDB where I thought a main character was going to die at some point and it never happened so every time he was in a scene I’d think “this is it”, spoiled my viewing a little. Ban yourself.

AlexSimon

What am I’m going to watch now, everything else seems crap by comparison.

Yes, but these are worth watching
    The Corner (short series – what they did before The Wire – a kind of prequel to it)
    Generation Kill (what they did after The Wire)
    Treme (what they did after Generation Kill)

Also
    Breaking Bad (it’s not as cerebral, but it’s still pretty good)

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks AlexSimon, half way through Breakin Bad after The Wire and Mad Men, so I will watch these next.

DrJ

Gets tempting to answer the phone with “yo, ****”.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Is that meant for John Terry thread? 🙂

DaveRambo

We had the same ‘problem’ as binners.

We got the box sets out in order and come 11.30 after 2 episodes and you really need to get to bed.

MrsDrambo: “another ?”
    DRambo: “Aye’t”

Currently on the series 5 and half dreading coming to the end as it’s pretty much all we’ve watched for the past few months

Don’t ever read the blurb before each episode and watch them all in order. See you in a while when normal life can resume.

v8ninety

Marlo?

For sure, but I had Snoop in mind specifically, the young gangbanger who basically played herself. Now she was truely ice cold, yet also an enjoyable character to watch…

al2000

To summarise some good points made on this thread :

Start at series 1.
    It’s best taken three episodes at a time.
    You’ve got around 60 hours of viewing to get through, so plan ahead.
    Do not look up anything on Youtube, IMDB, anywhere unless you want to proper spoil things for yourself.
    Best tv series ever, etc.

BoardinBob

Best tv ever, TBH it made me give up watching much of the stuff on these days it’s shite in comparison.

+1

Everything dulls in comparison since I’ve watched it.

I’ve now watched the entire 5 series from start to finish 14 times 😳

binners

Oh, and just out of interest, keep us posted on who your missus goes all swoony over. This WILL happen.

I think the rules are that it’s either be Stringer Bell or McNulty

al2000

My missus played by the rules and went for McNulty. A mate’s wife played a wildcard and went for Chris Partlow. Worrying.

meddle
    Free Member

, the young gangbanger who basically played herself himself

. I thought she was male for ages, I had to IMDB to check a couple of episodes into her screentime haha.

Stringer Bell or McNulty

I’d go gay for Stringer.

BoardinBob

I’d go gay for Stringer.

Agreed

binners

Stringer is unfeasibly cool!

Del

A mate’s wife played a wildcard and went for Chris Partlow

😯

meddle
    Free Member

Only problem I have with this show is the lack of smoking hot women.

v8ninety

I thought she (Snoop) was male for ages, I had to IMDB to check a couple of episodes into her screentime haha.

Ha, me too. She is one scary lady.

BoardinBob

Actually if I was gonna go gay, it would be for Cutty Wise

meddle
    Free Member

We must have a thing for strong black men, he would be my second choice.

ElVino

I thought series 2 was a bit weak, you could skip it out and not miss much. The rest is excellent mind & Series 1 is a must as it sets up the whole thing.

sobriety
    Free Member

Actually if I was gonna go gay, it would be for Cutty Wise

If he wanted you, you wouldn’t have much choice.

al2000

I thought series 2 was a bit weak, you could skip it out and not miss much.

I dunno, I liked series 2. The main plot kind of stood apart from all the other series but still very good. I don’t think you could miss it out though as it introduces some major players, and there’s some important plot and character development. All the pieces matter, etc.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Snoop’s a woman??!

Seriously, it was right at the end of series 4 maybe when I heard someone refer to Snoop as “she” that I realised. Even then I thought I’d mis-heard. Looking back, she was an odd-looking bloke 😆

Bream
    Free Member

Hold on right there…….. Snoop was a she?!?!?!?

Well I never, I must live in a cave or somat….

bigG
    Free Member

Not just a woman…

A real life drug dealer

BoardinBob

I thought series 2 was a bit weak, you could skip it out and not miss much. The rest is excellent mind & Series 1 is a must as it sets up the whole thing.

Interesting. My favourite series by far.

Series 5 was weak though, particularly the McNulty storyline and I felt very little connection to the journalism story.

mcboo
    Free Member

The scene: Two Baltimore police detectives in a bar, late at night, very drunk. McNulty, a skinny young Irishman. Moreland is fat, black and dressed in a beautiful pin-stripe suit.

Det. James ‘Jimmy’ McNulty: You know why I respect you so much, Bunk?

Det. William ‘Bunk’ Moreland: Mm-mmm.

McNulty: It’s not ’cause you’re good police, ’cause, y’know, f*** that, right?

Moreland: Mm. F*** that, yeah.

McNulty: It’s not ’cause when I came to homicide, you taught me all kinds of cool shit about . . . well, whatever.

Moreland: Mm. Whatever.

McNulty: It’s ’cause when it came time for you to f*** me . . . you were very gentle.

Moreland: You damn right.

McNulty: See, ’cause you could have hauled me out of the garage and just bent me over the hood of a radio car, and . . . no, you were, you were very gentle.

Moreland: I knew it was your first time. I wanted to make that shit special.

McNulty: It was, man. It f***ing was.

——————————————————————————–

That is The Wire

brassneck

Oh, and just out of interest, keep us posted on who your missus goes all swoony over. This WILL happen.

It was Omar in our house, I had to keep reminding her she MAY be out of luck

Pigface
    Free Member

Prop Joe and Slim Charles are brilliant characters

I would say Kima is smoking hot.

mcboo
    Free Member

Read “Homicide” by David Simon too. He camped out with the Baltimore police for a year, led to The Wire.

mega
    Free Member

Read “Homicide” by David Simon too. He camped out with the Baltimore police for a year, led to The Wire.

ooh ducky, sounds super.
    😀

will add it to my reading list

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Other advice.

Use subtitles. You’ll miss a lot of dialogue otherwise.

mattjg
    Free Member

Once you’re into the Wire, TV is over, and it’s no loss.

In particular any drama with composed incidental music makes you want to kick the screen in.

sc-xc

OK – is there anywhere we can watch this online in reasonable quality? I’m in a queue for the library copy, and can’t afford to buy the boxset at the moment..

mattjg
    Free Member

you can borrow S1 from me if you can to pick it up from Dorking

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘The Wire’ is closed to new replies.