Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • The sweetest looking Range Rover?
  • v8ninety

How many people on here own those big ‘divers’ watches, y’know, the ones with all the dials and work down to 300m underwater and that? How many of them actually do any diving?
    Isn’t that exactly the same thing?

Why yes it is. And I would tend to think them plonkers too. In fact I think I pretty much expressed as much in the recent relevant thread. Such is my right, and I’m sure plenty of people thought that I was a plonker for that [shrugs].

mcmoonter
    Free Member

More modern take on the cuthbertson conversion above.

Here’s another take on the cuthbertson.

A mate of mine had a hand in developing these Versatracks.

I’m a big fan of the classic shape of the first Range Rovers, I just bought a Discovery in virtually this same blue.

aracer
    Free Member

Only in your opinion it is, let’s face it.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the opinion of the majority of people.

Personally I don’t really care, but some might think that unless you’re a top pro rider, having such high-end bikes makes you a ‘plonker’. I know I’ve read similar type views on here! Y’know, when folk bang on about ‘ATGNI Weekend Warriors’ owning 6″ travel ‘All Mountain’ bikes to pootle about in Surrey…

You’re completely missing the point, elf (or maybe just using a strawman). A 6″ travel bike for pootling in Surrey is also using something for what it’s not designed for and where something different would be more suitable. How about you give me a link to a thread on here where people are actually disparaging about non-pros using high end bikes for exactly what they’re designed for.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Evil gas guzzling things with most not going off road, they’re a waste of resources imho.

A quite interesting psychological study was done into who buys different kinds of cars and SUVs etc, and in the UK people who desire approval often tend to buy SUVs, where in the US people who are more into doing thier own thing and independently minded buy them.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I do like the classic old shaped Range Rovers like in the pic just above this post though.

If global warming and climate change and being as environmentally considerate as possible weren’t relevent, i’d quite like an old Landy like the blue one a little bit further up.

Can’t feel like i’d be able to have a clear concience with one as things are though, which is no great hardship.

Tim

TimothyD
    Free Member

PS, I do try not to just keep upgrading my bike bits all the time as well btw. :~)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A 6″ travel bike for pootling in Surrey is also using something for what it’s not designed for

It’s. A. Bicycle.

If someone wants to buy a spensive 6″ travel ‘All Mountain’ bike for riding around Surrey, a canal towpath or popping to the shops, why shoon’t they?

Likewise if someone really wants a spensive 4×4 or other flash unnecessary motor, or wear a big ‘divers’ watch, why shoon’t they?

Sometimes, right, I ride a mounting bicycle in That London, what does not in any way have any mountains. Why? Because I can, and I really don’t give a toss what others think of me, as fortunately I’m not that insecure…

Anyway shoosh now cos I’m bored and NCIS is on.

aracer
    Free Member

If someone wants to buy a spensive 6″ travel ‘All Mountain’ bike for riding around Surrey, a canal towpath or popping to the shops, why shoon’t they?

Likewise if someone really wants a spensive 4×4 or other flash unnecessary motor, or wear a big ‘divers’ watch, why shoon’t they?
    No reason. Free world and all that. Everybody is free to be a plonker.

petefromearth

It’s a free world. But I personally think the blingin townie range rovers, and the big divers watches, are just vulgar. I don’t really understand this aspiration for something so ridiculous just for status or attention. You can pick up a used one for about 10k now so you don’t really have to be loaded to get the rap star look these days

I prefer things understated and less in your face. Which goes for bikes too. I quite like the off road pics though, would love to give proper 4×4 a try one day

Elfin I can see your point about the bike comparison, but I’d only think the bloke on a dh bike riding to the shops was a wally for the risk of getting it stolen, as surely nobody in their right mind would buy it for that sole purpose

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looked forward to nice car thread, walks away disappointed that someone’s turned it into a debate and to show off their own supposed superiority.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    some might think that unless you’re a top pro rider, having such high-end bikes makes you a ‘plonker’. I know I’ve read similar type views on here! Y’know, when folk bang on about ‘ATGNI Weekend Warriors’ owning 6″ travel ‘All Mountain’ bikes to pootle about in Surrey…

Blimey Fred, get back under your bridge, have a good hard look at yourself, and don’t come out until you’re going to be nice, (or whatever it is you like to say to me) OK?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh lordy… Efly you’re awesome. Have a picture*…

*No children were harmed in the making of this image, and I’ll defend a persons right to shove their head in a toilet until I die.

RustyNissanPrairie

I do like the classic old shaped Range Rovers like in the pic just above this post though.

If global warming and climate change and being as environmentally considerate as possible weren’t relevent, i’d quite like an old Landy like the blue one a little bit further up.

Can’t feel like i’d be able to have a clear concience with one as things are though, which is no great hardship.

Tim

Landrovers are probably the most ‘green’ car around. My Defender is 20 years old, does nearly 30 to the gallon on a run and is like new underneath. Touch wood I’ll have it for the rest of my life. OK so it uses a bit more fuel than a new disposable car but it wont consume the amount of resources a new car requires every 10-12years.
    Easy to work on-good support network (even for newer computer filled Rangerovers etc), cheap parts. Try keeping a Prius on the roads after 10 years.

v8ninety

Landrovers are probably the most ‘green’ car around.

Careful, there will be a pious driver along soon, to tell you that you can’t possibly be green without uber expensive batteries, fancy electronics and fancy materials.

I completely agree with you, btw. If you ran your 90 on veg oil it would be completely carbon neutral.

Gary_M
    Free Member

v8ninety

Gary M, stop it, I just did a little sick in my mouth, not nice.

duntmatter
    Free Member

8) 8) 8) 8)

dab

Chav’d RR Sports are the scum of the road

Up everybody’s chuff , hogging the o/ s lane

Frikkin hate those fashion accessories

Off road – compromise
    On road – compromise

Buy the right tool for the job
    Don’t get me started on x6 ‘s

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

#
    v8ninety

I completely agree with you, btw. If you ran your 90 on veg oil it would be completely carbon neutral.

Not really – the is still the embedded energy in refining the oil and transportating it plus the lube oils and tyres and other wearing parts.

A car with a long life and high emissions can be a better bet than one with slightly lower emissions but a short life span – but its a complex calculation indeed

Cletus

Just seen the new Evoque in the flesh parked on a neighbours drive – a lot more fugly in the metal imo

sambob
    Free Member

The Evoque is hideous, far too small and boxy.

aP
    Free Member

Seen quite a lot of those stupid mini Range Rovers – I really, really can’t see the point of them unless, of course a Nissan Juke isn’t quite ugly enough for you. And saw one being winched up onto a recovery lorry back in September – good to see that LR have still got the legendary reliability and quality that made their reputation.
    Without a doubt any almost all SUVs are pointless except for showing your insecurities.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve had two Range Rover Sports, there’s not much better than a TDV8 for crossing continents at high speed in amazing comfort with loads of luggage/bikes. Excellent off road too. Not a fan of that new spice girls one though

I was beaten to the LSE Coupe, but though I’d post a less tacky version

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve had two Range Rover Sports, there’s not much better than a TDV8 for crossing continents at high speed in amazing comfort with loads of luggage/bikes.

Assuming you’re not paying the fuel bills. If you are, there’s always a TD Galaxy/Sharan. Or maybe if you actually want to carry loads of luggage a Discovery or full size Range Rover.

votchy
    Free Member

Sweetest looking and Range Rover in the same sentence is surely an oxymoron

donsimon
    Free Member

Sweetest looking and Range Rover in the same sentence is surely an oxymoron

I hate it when this happens, someone throws in a witty put down but they don’t offer an alternative for what they consider to be, in this case, sweet.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Assuming you’re not paying the fuel bills. If you are, there’s always a TD Galaxy/Sharan. Or maybe if you actually want to carry loads of luggage a Discovery or full size Range Rover.

No I pay my own bills, it’s pretty thirsty but it’s cheaper to fuel, and more comfortable on long journeys, than my S Class, so I don’t think a ford galaxy or skoda sharan would come close to be honest 🙂 I had a “proper” Range Rover for a while but dynamically it wasn’t a patch on the RRS and a bit staid, I’m in my 30s not my 60s after all, and Discoverys are unreliable and a bit agricultural IMO.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

duntmatter

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

That’s what im talking about!!! (in my opinion) sex on wheels 😉

Alan – original poster 🙂

v8ninety

Discoverys are unreliable and a bit agricultural IMO

Ummm… is that the Discovery that uses the same floorpan and mechanicals as the RR sport that you were just singing the praises of? Righto then.

unreliable and agricultural: My work ride.

v8ninety

Not really – the is still the embedded energy in refining the oil and transportating it plus the lube oils and tyres and other wearing parts.

A car with a long life and high emissions can be a better bet than one with slightly lower emissions but a short life span – but its a complex calculation indeed

Depends on how that embedded energy was originally obtained really, doesn’t it? could have been a windfarm or a nuclear power plant that provided the leecy to the refinery…:wink: I take your point though, I should have said, ‘a damn sight nearer to carbon neutral than most cars on the road, especially looking at some of the gross motors on this thread’

TJ, whats going on? that was pretty much a reasonable post!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

v8ninety – ever owned one? I have, and it was unreliable and a bit agricultural compared to the others.

DickBarton

Is anyone else finding it amusing that the Landy is parked in a disabled space??? Probably not meant as a joke but I find it rather amusing for some reason…

v8ninety

Is anyone else finding it amusing that the Landy is parked in a disabled space?

Why? Exempt whilst on a call.

v8ninety – ever owned one?

Hell no, I couldn’t justify the mahoosive capital outlay. have done quite a lot of hard miles in one however. Are you talking about earlier Discos though? Granted they’d seem agricultural compared to a RR Sport, Disco 1 was basically a classic RR underneath, Disco 2s were upgraded but largely similar. the Disco 3s and 4s are basically RR sports witha more practical body shape. Reliability wise, the worst issue I think is with the electronic parking brake, exactly the same issue as the RR sport has.

DickBarton

I’m finding it amusing I think because so many people on here are moaning about the vehicles and how unsuitable they are for whatever it is they are being used for instead of what they should be used for…so having a pic of one parked in a disabled spot seems to amuse me..irrespective of being on call or not.

I think it looks good…would love to own one but would also like to give it a bash offroad as well…unlikely to ever afford one so unlikely to drive one offroad…

v8ninety

DickBarton, fair one. for your personal shits ‘n giggles then how about this abortion of a car;

brakes
    Free Member

sweet as

aracer
    Free Member

how about this abortion of a car

That definitely gets bonus points for catching the moment as it happens. Your previous piccy would get my vote for sweetest looking on the basis it’s actually useful, were it not the wrong vehicle (or can we call it a rebodied RR Sport?)

julianwilson
    Free Member

This one is quite sweet looking:

Don’t really know if Lego deliberately set out to look a bit (for lego!) like it, or just that the parts/shape lend themselves to the RR.

donsimon
    Free Member

So, this one has private plate, no?

Assuming most private plates relate to a name, anyone care to help identify the name of the driver/owner of this one? Cos I’m not seeing anything! 😕
    Yignny?
    Yininenny?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘The sweetest looking Range Rover?’ is closed to new replies.