• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The STW worst mtb accident poll
  • wee-al
    Free Member

As above on the STW homepage.

Is answering that not just tempting fate? Especially if you can only answer to one of the top two!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They seem to have missed out dead.

Is that because you can no longer vote; or because actually that makes it not that funny?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm proud to be one of three people in the toughest category of all 8)

DezB
    Free Member

There's a homepage?

Drac

i'm proud to be one of three people in the toughest category of all

Never fallen off.

z1ppy

can't be represnetative of us all can it? Well not IME – I've never broken anything, and though I do have m8 who have had broken bones, it's not that many..

njee20
    Free Member

Details of the life-threatening please, that sounds interesting!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

i'm proud to be one of three people in the toughest category of all

Never fallen off.

sadly not!

njee – when i was in 1st year at uni, 2000, the campus was a pretty awesome collection of steps/walls/drops and slopes. i went out for a bit of a streety play one saturday morning. woke up the following thursday in hospital. came off somehow – to this day all i can remember is going out on the bike, nothing after that – and fractured my skull (wasn't wearing a helmet). was found by some girl when there was lots of blood coming out of my head – so i'm told – and was going in and out of consciousness. went into intensive care neurosurgery to set my skull, operate and drain blood off my brain.

my family were all there when i woke up and were apparently warned to fear the worst. i am very lucky to have had no longterm effects, by all accounts. was out of hospital after a couple of weeks.

scud
    Free Member

I had a humdinger, I decided to ride the Road of Death in Bolivia hitting speeds of about 30mph on age old Trek hardtails on the worlds most dangerous road.

Rear tyre blew and I managed to dislocate my should downwards with so much force that it took the head of the humerous off as well, also stabbed myself in the leg with the brake lever. Took 8 hours to get to a hospital where they had to put 2 screws in to hold the broken humerous and relocate the shoulder, they missed the stab wound, so I lost 2 pints of blood overnight also.

Then got back to UK after a nightmare journey to find that they had fudged the operation, had to have new screws put in and that i had a blood infection from blood they had given me!

Got back on bike after 6 months rode twice fell came off on to the same shoulder and broke the clavicle avoiding a jogger at Swinley. Sods Law.

DrP

I've had a couple of big spills; the first was as a teen, when the last thing I remember is bombing down a hill somewhere, then waking up walking about 1 mile down the road with a cracked helmet in one hand, and my mate holding me up with the other. Then passed out again and awoke on ITU having had a head CT etc etc..

The second big spill occurred when riding along the seafront promenade. I was admiring my shiny new saddle (really) and flipped over a bollard…numpty! Again – cracked helmet…vomiting…CT scan…

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a nice big growth in my brain from all that radiation!

DrP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The STW worst mtb accident poll’ is closed to new replies.