• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Living in Peterborough
  • Brown
    Free Member

Will I be doomed to a life of eternal flatness and no decent riding if I move to Peterborough?

DaRC_L

Yes
    and the smell of cooking sugar beet

Helios
    Free Member

It is pretty minging…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tails
    Free Member

I wouldn't move there unless they flattened it and started again, lots of nicer locations in the east

VassagoJay
    Free Member

The only answer I can honestly give to this is YES !!!

DaRC_L , The Sugar beet factory closed years ago !! The old site is now covered in over-priced houses

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Where are you moving from and what area of P,Boro you looking to move to ?

You dont have to travel to far before you start hitting a few hills but if you just fancy a quick blast out then you'll not hit any hills 🙁
    OK for road riding though if you hill the villages on the outskirts

allthegear
    Free Member

Don't. Peterborough is a hole. Seriously.

allthegear
    Free Member

Actually, it does have one redeeming feature and that is the Brewery Tap which does fantastic Thai food. Pity it's scheduled for clusure and the bulldozers…

Chisel
    Free Member

Is……………………………… Sh*t!!!!!

boblo
    Free Member

In Peterborough? No. Near Peterborough? Yes.

Go South/North/West young man, nice villages, little hills, nice countryside and good road biking. Peterborough is now the Polish/Lithuanian/Portugese enclave of the East. Even the Asians are peed off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Peterborough smells funny.

But Stamford's not too far away and that's rather nice.

TooTall
    Free Member

You will hate it. The nice part of Peterborough is seeing it from 5 miles away in the rear view mirror.

RIDE

Thats just up the road – not rad, but very interesting and beautiful.

Stamford – nice to visit but a small town with a small town mentality.

Squirreled
    Free Member

What they said ^^^

We moved to south Lincolnshire (near Bourne) over 3 years ago and the lack of decent riding from the door (other than a spin around Bourne woods) combined with a young family means my riding is negligible these days.

Yes there are great places to go that aren't far away but they all mean you're out for most of the day, which doesn't make you popular when you're out all week at work too.

I drive to Peterborough station to commute into London and it really is an armpit. But the areas around it, Oundle and Stamford are really nice if you like that sort of thing.

cookeaa

P'boro BMX track is a good laugh (till the chavs try and mug you), for more MTB related stuff be prepared to travel, Chicksands and Woburn are approx 30 miles South down the A1, but there's not much in the way of "Epic" riding locally.
    Wales is a fair old way to your left and scotland in dead ahead (assuiming your facing North)…

fenboy

there's places around if you look, all old brick yards, lots of bridleways on the other side of A1, wakeley woods, etc and the road riding is good if you like headwinds instead of hills. not sure i would live in peterborough itself look outside plenty of lovely villages. wansford, oundle, stamford and all in between.

however i live in scotland now which is significantly better apart from of course the weather which is generally shite

sortmaster
    Free Member

Agree with fenboy – there are plenty of nice villages to the west of P'boro and over into east northants, but P'boro itself, well….it's abit like Milton Keynes.

In terms of riding, get an OS Explorer map and then head west in the area between Wansford, down towards Glatton and across as far as the A43 & beyond – there are loads of bridleways that are OK to ride – well in summer anyway.

Brown
    Free Member

Oh joy. Looks like my current run of living in good places to ride (Sheffield – Surrey Hills – Bristol – Sheffield) might be coming to an end then…

sofaking
    Free Member

i live in stamford and never go to peterborough unless i really have to.

no decent riding in the area , just lots of bridleways and a few small woods that never seem to dry up these days

boblo
    Free Member

I like Stamford. In fact, I think I'll go to Vujon for a curry tonight 🙂

sofaking
    Free Member

they certainly know how to do a nice curried duck 😛

jfeb
    Free Member

I have in-laws who moved to Peterborough and it isn't as bad as I feared tbh. That said, I haven't been "out on the town" there too many times but the area around the hospital has lots of nice, smart houses and the town centre doesn't seem that bad. River is nice too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Living in Peterborough’ is closed to new replies.